Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Coins

Hi all! I have some interesting coins and I am wondering are they worth grading. Please write your comments. The used coin on some of the pictures

is just for comparison of the color and quality.

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally would not spend any money on grading fees for any of these coins.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

All of the coins, except used samples and Kennedy are never touched by bare fingers and all are not proof.

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭

Unless a coin is worth in excess of $150.00, it does not pay to have it graded.
    I don’t see anything in your pictures that are worth anywhere near that.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Toto2334 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Your 1962 nickel & your 1961 quarter are proofs. ;)

Why you thing they are proofs? You mean that I do not what are MY coins?:)

Respectfully, most simply, it is the appearance of the surfaces, with a sharper and higher relief of the devices and the mirror like surfaces behind that are a give away. Going beyond that, there are other differences we need not go into here.
    Look at CoinFacts or a Redbook for more info.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Toto2334 how much do you think those coins are worth now, as they are? How much do you think it would cost to get them graded? How much do you think they will be worth after they are graded?

Those are serious questions. I hope you will consider answering them before any other responses.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Your 1962 nickel & your 1961 quarter are proofs. ;)

The proof coins in the group are:

1961 Nickel
    1962 Nickel
    1961 Quarter
    1962 Half Dollar

The 1967 nickel and dime might be SMS coins, but that does not really boost the value any.

The silver coins (dimes, quarters, half dollars) of 1964 and older have some value for the silver.
    But none of them are worth more than the cost to have them graded.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr Yes I noticed the SMS coins and the other proofs but I was trying to keep it simple and point out the most obvious ones that the OP should be able to see clearly. ;)

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get an idea of the value ungraded coins from the sold listings on eBay. You can get an idea of graded coins on the PCGS and NGC websites.
    Re:

Why you thing they are proofs? You mean that I do not what are MY coins?:)

You asked.

Keep collecting, good luck.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Toto2334
    Don't be discouraged. If you have an interest in collecting your at the right place. Keep those coins and maybe you can build a collection. You'll learn alot around here. People are honest and will tell you the truth. Keep an open mind and try not to be offended.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    Dug13Dug13 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2024 12:08PM

@Toto2334,
    “What does it mean when a coin is proof?
    Proof Coins: Are the finest quality of coin produced by the United States Mint. The term "proof" refers to the coin's finish. Proof blanks are specially treated, hand-polished, and cleaned to ensure high-quality strikes. The blanks are then fed into presses fitted with specially polished dies and struck at least twice.“

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dug13 said:
    @Toto2334,
    Proof Coins: Are the finest quality of coin produced by the United States Mint. The term "proof" refers to the coin's finish. Proof blanks are specially treated, hand-polished, and cleaned to ensure high-quality strikes. The blanks are then fed into presses fitted with specially polished dies and struck at least twice.“

Contrary to popular belief, many proof coins have been struck just once. Here’s an old quote from numismatic researcher extrodinaire, Roger Burdette: “…The main point is that collector's proofs were struck only at Philadelphia. They were more-or-less started as sets for sale beginning in 1858 and continuing through 1916 (cents and nickels only); then from 1936-1942; and 1950-1964. All were struck on a medal press and all were struck once.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Dug13 said:
    @Toto2334,

Contrary to popular belief, many proof coins have been struck just once. Here’s an old quote from numismatic researcher extrodinaire, Roger Burdette: “…The main point is that collector's proofs were struck only at Philadelphia. They were more-or-less started as sets for sale beginning in 1858 and continuing through 1916 (cents and nickels only); then from 1936-1942; and 1950-1964. All were struck on a medal press and all were struck once.

I understood that using the medal press they could use more pressure and produce a better coin without having to strike it twice in a normal press.

bob :)
    vegas, baby!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like some of the toned coins and that's about it. I'd put them aside to have, fwiw

• Options
    flyguyflflyguyfl Posts: 122 ✭✭

Your pics are very good.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear the drums echoing tonight

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭

Here we go again, new member ( low posting count), shows his coins, asks a question, gets numerous similar answers from many members and doesn't like what he hears. I don't get it

• Options

Many thanks for your answers and comments. Some of my coins (when you see them not on a picture) are at least as good as the same (or almost the same) coins listed as sold on Heritage and other auctions as Roosevelt 1976, Half Dollar 1959, 1962, Jefferson 1961, Washington 1961? ,

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2024 10:44AM

[DeplorableDan drops mic.]

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Toto2334 said:
    Many thanks for your answers and comments. Some of my coins (when you see them not on a picture) are at least as good as the same (or almost the same) coins listed as sold on Heritage and other auctions as Roosevelt 1976, Half Dollar 1959, 1962, Jefferson 1961, Washington 1961? ,

I think it's important that you spend the money and get them graded. We call it "tuition" and sometimes that's the only way people are able to learn.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Toto2334 said:

Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I wanna do when I wake up in the morning is see your eyes
    Rosanna, Rosanna
    I never thought that a girl like you could ever care for me
    Rosanna
    All I wanna do in the middle of the evening is hold you tight
    Rosanna, Rosanna
    I didn't know you were looking for more than I could ever be

Not quite a year since you went away
    Rosanna, yeah
    Now she's gone, and I have to say

Meet you all the way
    Meet you all the way
    Rosanna, yeah
    Meet you all the way
    Meet you all the way
    Rosanna, yeah

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Toto2334 said:

You may need new prescription eyeglasses, just saying.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2024 8:04PM

@Toto2334 said:
    Hi all! I have some interesting coins and I am wondering are they worth grading. Please write your comments.

No, they really are not. The 61 quarter is a candidate for a 2x2 or a flip, but the rest are hole fillers for your standard blue Whitman folders.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2024 8:13PM

Would Put in 2x2 - for collector coin box or binder.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file