Home U.S. Coin Forum

Shiny rattlers: Franklin Proof set completed

johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally…..found the last rattler to complete the basic Franklin proof set, 1950 to 1963. 1950 was looking to be the hardest date to find but 1952 is actually the last one I found.

Current completed rank is #92 without regard to these being rattlers. A quick review of those 1 to 91 does not show anyone with a rattler set; although, there is an OGH set without photos. I’m sure more rattler sets exist, but after reading an article from 2018 that someone postulated it would no longer be possible to complete a set, I thought it would be a fun challenge in 2023 which took until today to complete. Finding these proof Franklins in rattler holders was a lot of fun.

Coins that I would upgrade?
1951 to help raise my average
1954 because it looks a little cloudy
1959 I have two and both have spots
1960 looks like it has a cloudy / water spot area

1958 is the most beautiful

1952 ended up being the last one found so it could be considered the hardest to find in some ways

1950 was by far the most expensive costing four figures.

Comments

  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congratulations on your accomplishment.

    I wonder what grades your Franklin half dollars would receive if they were submitted for grading today. Higher, lower or the same?

  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congratulations on the full set of rattler Franklin’s, I like em!

    It's all about what the people want...

  • Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The 1962 looks especially nice! Congrats!

  • EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Love it & Congratulations.

    Easton Collection
  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice 👍🏼

    Mr_Spud

  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Super nice accomplishment.
    There was another member here working on an early set of proof Jeffersons in these Rattlers.
    I wonder how he's doing.

    peacockcoins

  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Awesome collection!

  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congrats! Are you going to go after pretty Green/Gold Stickers?

    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • erscoloerscolo Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭

    These are well beyond my price range though they do look to be a beautiful set, especially the coins themselves.

    I have slabbed ones for 1953, 1954, 1956, 1962 and originals in OGP for 1955 through 1963.

  • silviosisilviosi Posts: 444 ✭✭✭

    I like the set. Congrats! Now start the 15 FS varieties.

    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

  • Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great collection!

    Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars

  • jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2024 5:26PM

    Nice accomplishment to complete this series in rattlers. Well done.

  • HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congrats Johnny!
    Nice looking set!

  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2024 6:47PM

    Great job. A very difficult task, yet your coins have wonderful eye appeal! That made your accomplishment even tougher!

    Steve

    A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

    My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Pretty neat achievement to collect the Frankies in old rattlers.

    email: [email protected]

    100% Positive BST transactions
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice set! Congrats! :)

  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Awesome set!

  • alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congrats JM nice set

  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The 1950 is a nice find.

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This was my set before I sold it to another forum member back in 2012 apx... They exist out there!

    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2024 7:48PM

    @SanctionII said:
    Congratulations on your accomplishment.

    I wonder what grades your Franklin half dollars would receive if they were submitted for grading today. Higher, lower or the same?

    Great question but I do not know.

    @joebb21 said:
    This was my set before I sold it to another forum member back in 2012 apx... They exist out there!

    WOW
    That’s an amazing set. Very cool to see.
    Any idea if they are still in their holders like you sold them?

  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭

    Your '50 and '51 are very nice! Yep, that '50 gets rather spendy, but from '53 on up it's a lot easier, unless you do what you did and go all-rattler -- very nice set, congrats! :smile:

  • P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’m impressed! Congratulations @johnny010

    Nothing is as expensive as free money.

  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like the set for what it is and wouldnt worry about the registry. If you want to upgrade, I hope you just start another set.

  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I always liked Franklins, especially when I was a boy.

    Well done.

    LCoopie = Les
  • CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Wow congratulations! Very cool Franklins!

  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @johnny010 said:

    @SanctionII said:
    Congratulations on your accomplishment.

    I wonder what grades your Franklin half dollars would receive if they were submitted for grading today. Higher, lower or the same?

    Great question but I do not know.

    @joebb21 said:
    This was my set before I sold it to another forum member back in 2012 apx... They exist out there!

    WOW
    That’s an amazing set. Very cool to see.
    Any idea if they are still in their holders like you sold them?

    They are all intact as I sold them. I knew of one board member who had a 1955 pr68 but he offered it to me for $500 which was more than I could afford at the time and I had to pass. Another company ended up buying it and cracking it.

    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Also- When I sold I must have had around 50 duplicates. I had been buying them and upgrading when I could and had a couple of pr67 duplicates. I submitted the nicest to CAC and the results are what is posted above. I have tried buying back just the coins above for my own personal collection at over double what I sold it for but it seems rattlers have gotten to expensive for me

    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congratulations on the nice sets @johnny010 and @joebb21.

    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

    Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

    successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice and all rattlers. Shame the holders don't advance your rating. Congrats.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @joebb21 said:
    Also- When I sold I must have had around 50 duplicates. I had been buying them and upgrading when I could and had a couple of pr67 duplicates. I submitted the nicest to CAC and the results are what is posted above. I have tried buying back just the coins above for my own personal collection at over double what I sold it for but it seems rattlers have gotten to expensive for me

    You can message me the owner direct if you’d like.

  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭

    @johnny010, Great set! From your looking, what grades do these tend to appear in? Just wondering what the approx distribution of grades was back then. I dont think you could get that from the pop reports unless you happened to have the last published pop report from when they were using rattler holders at the plastic factory

  • johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @AngryTurtle said:
    @johnny010, Great set! From your looking, what grades do these tend to appear in? Just wondering what the approx distribution of grades was back then. I dont think you could get that from the pop reports unless you happened to have the last published pop report from when they were using rattler holders at the plastic factory

    I can get October but directionally the September report of 1989 should work. Thanks to @joebb21

  • Congratulations, very nice set and it had to fun doing all that in just one year, bet you went to a lot of coin shows and prolly a few online auctions!

  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭

    Interesting pop chart. Looks like the most common grade was PF65, with miniscule numbers of 69s. The proof manufacturing and storage back in those days was not up to current standards. That and whatever grading changes have taken place since the rattler age explains the difference from today's 69 being the most common, and PF70 being present in substantial numbers.

  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Excellent!

    Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file