Home Autographs Forum
Options

Least Favorite Autograph Items

bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 13, 2024 10:08AM in Autographs Forum

What are absolute least favorite autographed items to see available, own or for sale?

Is it baseball/sports objects, books, cut signatures, clothing items?

My least favorite autograph items are baseballs. I can not stand a signed baseball of any kind. Whether it's for sale, on display in someones collection, or a signed baseball topic on the various autograph forums.

They seem to be the most common items that are signed, easily forged, the autographs tend to fade quickly, no matter how well it's stores, & sometimes the signature is a bit jacked up because of the shape, of the item.

Second would he something on clothing. They seem to be usually sloppy and they too, fade, pretty fast. One recent story last year was some football players autographed shirt, faded fast, and the collector went to another signing, just to get it re-signed, on the same shirt. :s

Comments

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not exactly what you meant, but I hate autographed items that have authentication stickers on them. I avoid buying them since the stickers cannot be removed. If the sticker is on the LOA I am totally okay with that.

As for format, I am not big on non-flat items. Things such as baseballs, books, clothing, mugs, action figures etc. I avoid these due to they take up a lot of space.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have nothing at all against people who collect those Funko Pops, but they sort of bother me every time I see one. They seem so fragile, signed on the plastic window.

I have a bunch of signed baseballs but I agree that they are a bit precarious. Leather is the worst thing to sign. It is a "living canvas" as far as I'm concerned. The material, the chemicals, the glues. It says something that the lowly Bic ballpoint pen - the worst medium for any other autograph - is the best thing for baseballs.

• Options

Funko Pops are like Beanie Babies, to me. Worthless. They're all cookie cutter. At least regular action figures are unique.

I wouldn't spend a $1 on one, not even signed.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything with a "scribble" signature.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I can't read the autograph,regardless what it is on, I pass.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from what's already been mentioned, my least favorite autograph items are photos signed by celebs but they use a black sharpie and sign in a darker area of the photo so it's not as legible.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this on another website but I would definitely not buy this solely because of condition/non-archival materials used. However, I do think it’s authentic.

Now if it was like $50 and I was confident it was definitely authentic I might buy it since that would be a steal. But really not much more than that.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    If I can't read the autograph,regardless what it is on, I pass.

Most of todays celebs to just that, squiggle lines and that's their name.

@ernie11 said:
    Aside from what's already been mentioned, my least favorite autograph items are photos signed by celebs but they use a black sharpie and sign in a darker area of the photo so it's not as legible.

Not a fan of that either. But, if it's crazy rare or the price is well below a better one, I do consider it.

@JMS1223 said:
    I saw this on another website but I would definitely not buy this solely because of condition/non-archival materials used. However, I do think it’s authentic.

Now if it was like $50 and I was confident it was definitely authentic I might buy it since that would be a steal. But really not much more than that.

I've had a few autograph pages that look like a toddler's playtime project. Needless to say, I have traded tp or sold them off.

• Options

tattoo'd signatures.. i meet lots of celebs at comic cons and even they hate signing body parts for people to get tattoo'd

• Options

@RicksToysLLC said:
    tattoo'd signatures.. i meet lots of celebs at comic cons and even they hate signing body parts for people to get tattoo'd

Depends on the celeb, I don't think that's too bad. I think having the persons face tattooed, is much worse than the autograph tattoo itself. Some face tattoos I have seen have been real..."What the Fu**", and it doesn't even look like the person.

• Options

Definitely some traffic citations from my youth.