Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916 Buffalo: Would anyone agree that this is a 2 feather?

opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 28, 2024 7:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have always be a self doubter when looking at these. Would anyone agree that this is a true 2 feather, or have I stumbled across the dreaded 2 and 1/2?

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

1916 Buffalo: Would anyone agree that this is a 2 feather?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a 2 feather, yes

"Captain Obvious?"

I wonder if any 1916, "2-Feathers" have that famous 16/16?
    :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    epcepc Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a 2 feather, yes

I'm not a nickel 5-cent guy, so I had to look this up. But it looks pretty obvious to me that it's a 2-feather.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say yes, and I'm usually pretty strict about this

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a 2 feather, yes

Book it, Danno. A 2 Feather it is,

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2024 5:53AM
    Nope, sorry. It's not.

Since I am the only no vote at the moment I guess I should explain. 1) I collect Buffalo nickels but I am not at all knowledgeable on the 2 feather distinction. 2) my first thought was “yes” but then I thought I saw what looked like some remnants of the third feather and figured the services were super strict on these. Like, you had to have no trace whatsoever of the last feather. 3) while it is in a details holder, presumably PCGS would have noted the variety if they saw it? However, given all that I would probably side with the majority, some of whom presumably know these much better than I do.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion is that of a very nicJime 2 feather. Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, sorry. It's not.

I do believe I see the stump of the 3rd feather there. For that reason I say no, no cigar.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I do believe I see the stump of the 3rd feather there. For that reason I say no, no cigar.

Seen many with more stump showing than OP's get the designation, including by PCGS. Should have received the attribution if it was requested.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    lunagatelylunagately Posts: 36 ✭✭✭
    It's a 2 feather, yes

Yes, without a doubt.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a 2 feather with feather "crumbs' where the small feather use to be. But most would call this a 2 feather.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:
    Since I am the only no vote at the moment I guess I should explain. 1) I collect Buffalo nickels but I am not at all knowledgeable on the 2 feather distinction. 2) my first thought was “yes” but then I thought I saw what looked like some remnants of the third feather and figured the services were super strict on these. Like, you had to have no trace whatsoever of the last feather. 3)** while it is in a details holder, presumably PCGS would have noted the variety if they saw it?** However, given all that I would probably side with the majority, some of whom presumably know these much better than I do.

That's a risky presumption. I have 1855/54 half dollars mislabeled as 1855s from ICG, PCGS, and ANACS, and have seen a VF30 in an NGC holder that I didn't purchase because the seller, APMEX, clearly knew what they had by their asking price but didn't mention it at all in their auction. Don't assume anything with TPG services as they're primarily graders, not authenticators or DM attributors. They usually bring in outside numismatists to do their attributions.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, sorry. It's not.

I feel it i a 'liner'. When rotating the slab, I suspect the smaller feather becomes noticeable at certain angles. Similar to many of the 'full strike' suffices (some are slam dunk, others are coin flip).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file