Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone else getting random but frequent refunds from ebay for 30 to 50 cents?

If so, do you know why? Because I have no idea but I have gotten probably a dozen of them since late last year. The refunds have no information whatsoever.

Comments

• Options

@detroitfan2 said:
    If so, do you know why? Because I have no idea but I have gotten probably a dozen of them since late last year. The refunds have no information whatsoever.

Hackers discovered eBay is using the Office Space rounding algorithm. The hackers deployed code which takes these fractions of a cent from every transaction and combines them into an account. They are doing random payouts to ebay members so the Hackers don't get accused of stealing.

Or...it's possible you requested to add a form of payment to ebay and they made 2 small deposits which you are supposed to verify the amount in order to use a new bank account or card service and maybe you've done it more than once.
    In a similar vein, maybe somebody hacked your ebay account and is trying to add an account to it so they can transfer payouts from sellers.

Can you post the amounts and dates? Knowing a pattern would help. If you don't want to post the exact amount and exact date then give me some fake numbers which are close to the real ones if you don't mind.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah I think I just got one for a little over a dollar back from a purchase I just made...it was so strange...

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:

I'd call ebay and talk to someone... :)

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Mystery solved, I tried googling it before and found nothing, but this came up on my search today:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Returns/Randomly-Received-a-Small-Refund/td-p/34116781

Apparently if you live in Michigan you will see these refunds, as explained here:

• Options

@detroitfan2 said:
    Mystery solved, I tried googling it before and found nothing, but this came up on my search today:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Returns/Randomly-Received-a-Small-Refund/td-p/34116781

Apparently if you live in Michigan you will see these refunds, as explained here:

How does that work? Does it depend on where you have the item shipped or how do they associate your location for tax purposes?
    I'm asking for a friend.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Jolley, my understanding is that these refunds are for items I purchased, not for items I sold. If I bought something that had a $5.00 shipping charge, I would pay an additional 30 cents (6% MI sales tax) on the item. That always peeved me, and I noticed recently that it was no longer the case. Apparently ebay was not supposed to collect sales tax on shipping (for items sold to MI residents), so they are methodically going through and issuing the small refunds. I got a bit nervous because the only information on the refund was an order number, and when I searched for the order number in both my sales and purchases, I would not find it. Turns out it is because it was from purchases from quite a while back that are no longer showing up in my history.

• Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited January 12, 2024 11:30AM

@JolleyWrencher said:

@detroitfan2 said:

Hackers discovered eBay is using the Office Space rounding algorithm. The hackers deployed code which takes these fractions of a cent from every transaction and combines them into an account.

Aka Superman III plot