Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rockwell test? Found this old 1934 silver quarter with a “Rockwell 2”

Comments

• I’m by no means a coin collector, just a silver hoarder.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, this appears to have been counter-stamped into an already circulated coin. Regardless, it is my experience that the Rockwell test was done with a punch and not with letters.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• silviosisilviosi Posts: 444 ✭✭✭

Was never, ever an hardness rockwell test as this. Just an after Mint counter stamped.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Thanks for the input!:) into the scrap bucket it goes.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldsilver209 said:
    Thanks for the input!:) into the scrap bucket it goes.

It is by no means scrap. As a counterstamped coin it has at least a small premium (or more).

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might warrant some research. Political or store card?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not unusual for someone who is working in an industry that uses punches to mark machine parts to try those punches out on some of their pocket change. I think that this is what happened here.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see someone using coins made of various metals as test subjects during a classroom lecture on Rockwell hardness testing. My guess is that it received its counterstamp in a college lecture hall or laboratory.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a couple of coins with the rockwell test marks. Don't know what happened to them, but here is an example of what the test marks looked like on mine.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file