Home Sports Talk

The dynasty

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to watch this, intense stuff.

https://youtu.be/bfvL2TaRvu8?si=vBrTX9b6uTMEByFy

Comments

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's going to be a 10-part documentary, this is some Ken Burns type stuff right here, I love documentaries like this.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It of course looks interesting. However there's already quite a bit out there, videos, etc about this era. Many player interviews, etc. Much of which I've already watched.

    I'm not sure what else there is to add at this point? But for those who haven't been following it, then I guess it's summarized here in one concise video.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:
    It's going to be a 10-part documentary, this is some Ken Burns type stuff right here, I love documentaries like this.

    I posted my previous post before seeing this post. I sure as green apples won't be watching a 10-part documentary of this. Not even at gun point. 😂

    I did watch the full Ken Burns documentary about the Civil War. That was excellent, although it still puzzles me to this day why there weren't any videos shown about that war?

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2024 10:12AM

    Ken Burns is the GOAT documentary maker and it's not even close, the man is a genius at his art, he pours his heart and soul into each project and tells each story with the utmost detail. Everytime I watch a Ken Burns documentary it takes me in an incredible journey, like a trip back in time. I've seen The Dust Bowl, Prohibition, The Civil War, Vietnam, Mark Twain, Lewis & Clark, The Roosevelt's, and I'm going to watch Ali soon.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2024 12:28PM

    @doubledragon said:
    Ken Burns is the GOAT documentary maker and it's not even close, the man is a genius at his art, he pours his heart and soul into each project and tells each story with the utmost detail. Everytime I watch a Ken Burns documentary it takes me in an incredible journey, like a trip back in time. I've seen The Dust Bowl, Prohibition, The Civil War, Vietnam, Mark Twain, Lewis & Clark, The Roosevelt's, and I'm going to watch Ali soon.

    I didn't realize Burns had all that many. I watched a small portion of his baseball documentary, but it was a bit too slow moving for me.

    I think the Civil War one was his first, certainly the one that made him famous, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially because that era had such a profound impact on our country, and there were a lot of new photos I hadn't seen before.

    I actually had two direct blood male relatives killed in that war. I forget how many "greats" ago it was, but my paternal ancestor and his son both lost their lives. I'm lucky that his son left his wife with a child before going off to battle or I wouldn't be here right now.

    i'll keep an open mind about the Patriots thing. If others here rave about it, then perhaps I'll watch ten minutes of it, before shutting it off. 😉

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2024 12:19PM

    A quote I found to be fascinating in the documentary, "This game is like a narcotic, you're chasing that forever." I once heard Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson say that he basically became addicted to the feeling of winning football games. It's crazy, winning becomes like a drug and you need that fix. I would imagine winning the Super Bowl must be the ultimate high.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:
    A quote I found to be fascinating in the documentary, "This game is like a narcotic, you're chasing that forever." I once heard Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson say that he basically became addicted to the feeling of winning football games. It's crazy, winning becomes like a drug and you need that fix. I would imagine winning the Super Bowl must be the ultimate high.

    You mean better than....never mind. 😆

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2024 1:33PM

    @stevek said:

    @doubledragon said:
    Ken Burns is the GOAT documentary maker and it's not even close, the man is a genius at his art, he pours his heart and soul into each project and tells each story with the utmost detail. Everytime I watch a Ken Burns documentary it takes me in an incredible journey, like a trip back in time. I've seen The Dust Bowl, Prohibition, The Civil War, Vietnam, Mark Twain, Lewis & Clark, The Roosevelt's, and I'm going to watch Ali soon.

    I didn't realize Burns had all that many. I watched a small portion of his baseball documentary, but it was a bit too slow moving for me.

    I think the Civil War one was his first, certainly the one that made him famous, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially because that era had such a profound impact on our country, and there were a lot of new photos I hadn't seen before.

    I actually had two direct blood male relatives killed in that war. I forget how many "greats" ago it was, but my paternal ancestor and his son both lost their lives. I'm lucky that his son left his wife with a child before going off to battle or I wouldn't be here right now.

    i'll keep an open mind about the Patriots thing. If others here rave about it, then perhaps I'll watch ten minutes of it, before shutting it off. 😉

    The Dynasty is not a Ken Burns documentary, I was just comparing the length of it to Ken Burns documentaries, I love long documentaries. You see, when I watch a long documentary, I feel like I'm going on vacation to another time, yes it's weird, I know.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:

    @stevek said:

    @doubledragon said:
    Ken Burns is the GOAT documentary maker and it's not even close, the man is a genius at his art, he pours his heart and soul into each project and tells each story with the utmost detail. Everytime I watch a Ken Burns documentary it takes me in an incredible journey, like a trip back in time. I've seen The Dust Bowl, Prohibition, The Civil War, Vietnam, Mark Twain, Lewis & Clark, The Roosevelt's, and I'm going to watch Ali soon.

    I didn't realize Burns had all that many. I watched a small portion of his baseball documentary, but it was a bit too slow moving for me.

    I think the Civil War one was his first, certainly the one that made him famous, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially because that era had such a profound impact on our country, and there were a lot of new photos I hadn't seen before.

    I actually had two direct blood male relatives killed in that war. I forget how many "greats" ago it was, but my paternal ancestor and his son both lost their lives. I'm lucky that his son left his wife with a child before going off to battle or I wouldn't be here right now.

    i'll keep an open mind about the Patriots thing. If others here rave about it, then perhaps I'll watch ten minutes of it, before shutting it off. 😉

    The Dynasty is not a Ken Burns documentary, I was just comparing the length of it to Ken Burns documentaries, I love long documentaries. You see, when I watch a long documentary, I feel like I'm going on vacation to another time, yes it's weird, I know.

    Yea i knew that, otherwise it would have had "Ken Burns" plastered all over the preview. And why not, he is a talented guy.

    I enjoy documentaries as well, when details of the topic interest me. I enjoyed the "World at War" documentary from some decades ago about WW2. Likely it was that documentary which inspired Burns to do his Civil War documentary.

    Also enjoyed the "Cosmos" documentary from Carl Sagan.

  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Besides all of the well-known series,
    I remember that I really enjoyed the series Ken Burns did on The National Parks. I watched it some time ago, back when Netflix still sent out DVDs, so I can't recall specifically why, but I mean, we all know that almost anything with Ken Burns' name attached is likely to be great.

Sign In or Register to comment.