Home U.S. Coin Forum

Errror people



Is this an error or after mint damage?

Comments

  • IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Clipped planchet error.

  • jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Genuine curved planchet clip verified by the Blakesley effect, or rim weakness, on the opposite side of the clip.

    "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Genuine clipped planchet:

    1. The rim slopes into the clip
    2. The design fades into the clip and the letters around it are distorted.
    3. The 'Blakesley Effect' is present. This is a flat spot on the rim opposite the clip. This happens when the planchet goes through the upsetting mill, which puts a raised rim on the planchet before striking. Because of the clip, there's no metal to push the opposite side against the wheel that raises the edge, so it is flatter.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks for the info. I’m going through a cabinet of stuff that was put away more than a day ago 😊

  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice one.

  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice error coin.

  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2024 3:50PM

    Very nice blank clip clipped blank that made it through the minting process - found/bought?

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's nice to have

  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Steven59 said:
    Very nice blank clip clipped blank that made it through the minting process - found/bought?

    I found it in the coin return of a pop machine where I taught

  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pocketpiececommems said:
    I found it in the coin return of a pop machine where I taught

    Excellent find!

  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cmerlo1 said:
    Genuine clipped planchet:

    1. The rim slopes into the clip
    2. The design fades into the clip and the letters around it are distorted.
    3. The 'Blakesley Effect' is present. This is a flat spot on the rim opposite the clip. This happens when the planchet goes through the upsetting mill, which puts a raised rim on the planchet before striking. Because of the clip, there's no metal to push the opposite side against the wheel that raises the edge, so it is flatter.

    All this and I'll point out one other cool diagnostic on clad coinage - if you look at the inside of the clip, the clad layers look inverted. That is a residual effect of the cutting / tearing of the metal when the planchet was punched, basically you are seeing the effect of the dull side of the punch dragging against the clad material.

    Sean Reynolds

    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

    "Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You get the money. Nice find.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @seanq said:

    @cmerlo1 said:
    Genuine clipped planchet:

    1. The rim slopes into the clip
    2. The design fades into the clip and the letters around it are distorted.
    3. The 'Blakesley Effect' is present. This is a flat spot on the rim opposite the clip. This happens when the planchet goes through the upsetting mill, which puts a raised rim on the planchet before striking. Because of the clip, there's no metal to push the opposite side against the wheel that raises the edge, so it is flatter.

    All this and I'll point out one other cool diagnostic on clad coinage - if you look at the inside of the clip, the clad layers look inverted. That is a residual effect of the cutting / tearing of the metal when the planchet was punched, basically you are seeing the effect of the dull side of the punch dragging against the clad material.

    Sean Reynolds

    Awesome piece of information. I had to go back and look at the clad clips that I have.

    Young Numismatist/collector
    73 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 44 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

  • @pocketpiececommems said:

    @Steven59 said:
    Very nice blank clip clipped blank that made it through the minting process - found/bought?

    I found it in the coin return of a pop machine where I taught

    I wish I’d find something in the Pepsi machine at the school I teach at. Everyone swipes a credit card….

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file