Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

$600 reporting Threshold Postponed, will be 5K in 2024

Good news for tiny sellers - even if eBay takes credit they don't really deserve.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/IRS-announces-another-delay-of-the-600-reporting-threshold-for/ba-p/34153125

IMHO $5000K is fair. $600 was a decades old amount that never accounted for inflation or for governmental administrative overhead. I for one am OK with that amount as long as it's annually adjusted for inflation.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

Comments

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

Morning,

For Fiscal year 2024 it will be $5K, but the Current plan is to revert to the $600 threshold for 2025. This doesn't help except for a temporary reprieve. Hopefully they think this through and make further adjustments.

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun fact, $600 is the reporting number for lottery wins for tax purposes and has been in GA since day 1. Wonder if they got that figure from there initially.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:
    Morning,

For Fiscal year 2024 it will be $5K, but the Current plan is to revert to the $600 threshold for 2025. This doesn't help except for a temporary reprieve. Hopefully they think this through and make further adjustments.

YeeHaw!

Neil

Is that 5k AND 200 transactions? Or just 5k?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if/when 4SC and/or Greg Morris send out tax stuff to consigners? Or any of the big auction houses? Thanks

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a few states (like Maryland) where the eBay threshold was $600 going back to the 2022 tax year. I wonder if that is still the case for 2024. I remember being surprised when I got a 1099 for 2022 - luckily, I kept pretty good records and was able to match up sales to original purchase prices.

Daniel
  • Options
    West22West22 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Keep good track of your purchases (cost basis), be honest and get a good tax professional. It’s worth paying your fair share of taxes to sleep at night.