Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2024...what are your collecting goals this year

JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

What's the 1st card you got or plan to get?
Are you planning to unload any of your collection?
Are there cards coming near the price point where you plan to pull the trigger soon?
Any new releases you're waiting for?

1st card I picked up today is a 1990 Topps Ken Griffey Jr gold foil test. The foil test strip goes across his name, which seems less common, and there is also an erroneous thick black line below the name on the left (hopefully not altered).

I plan on dumping the 1996/1999-2000 pokemon collection since we hit the 25 year anniversary and pokemon is still pretty stable

There are not any product releases on my radar yet.

I plan on ripping the 2023 Bob Ross X Collector's Box soon. Probably a pack at a time over the next couple of months as I complete some projects around the hobby farm.

I abandoned the Scoring Kings PSA10 chase and the 86 Fleer Jordan rookie goals and I'm considering building negro league sets.

Comments

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be trying to fill in the same holes in my registry collections that I have had for the last 10 years. Of course, the insane prices on the cards I need determine how many cards that I can realistically purchase this year. As for selling, I am not planning on parting with anything yet.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

2024 Goals:
    1. Finish a graded 1951 Bowman Cubs team set (need Burgess #317)
    2. Finish a graded 1954 Red Heart set (need Mantle)
    3. Buy a mid-grade rookie Walter Payton (PSA or SGC)
    4. Finish a graded Billy Pierce player run (basic)
    5. Attend the National convention in Cleveland.
    6. Abandon the 1952 Topps Cubs set chase. Too many high numbers!
    7. Find a vintage Chicago Bears set to chase

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJY83 said:
    Trying to pick up the last 60 cards for my raw 1976 Topps set in NMMT condition. This set will complete my Topps set run from 1974 to 2023 all either NMMT or sealed factory sets.

Which 76s you looking for? I bought a complete set (pulled from vendings) and a vending box in 23. I may have the ones you need and would be willing to get them to you.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJY83 said:
    Trying to pick up the last 60 cards for my raw 1976 Topps set in NMMT condition. This set will complete my Topps set run from 1974 to 2023 all either NMMT or sealed factory sets.

Awesome.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:
    I will be trying to fill in the same holes in my registry collections that I have had for the last 10 years. Of course, the insane prices on the cards I need determine how many cards that I can realistically purchase this year. As for selling, I am not planning on parting with anything yet.

I haven't found one I needed in the last 6 months or more. Rare to find.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

Would love to complete my topps insert sets...Everything 8 or better
    Tough sledding for the past two years -

1965 Embossed - 25 more (would love to find the mantle I graded many years ago ... highly doubtful!)
    16 possibles with PSA (Estimate of completion 1/8/2024)
    1969 Decals - 3 more
    3 needed with PSA (same estimation date)
    1968 Game - 8 more
    mostly stars needed - recently passed on a few due to excessive surface discoloration...

Unfortunately, not any old 8 or 9 will do..
    Looking for centered examples and not interested in slider grades...

And also looking for the 4 tough Rold Gold All Time Greatest in PSA 10 (3,4,13,14) - I have the 4 in PSA 9's to complete the set.

White Whales -
    1970 Kellogg's 3D Clemente in a 10
    1949 Bowman Ashburn - Centered in an 8
    1952 Bowman Ashburn - Centered in a 9 with out the dingy brownish borders that I routinely see all the time...

and a couple of cards from sets that I sold several years back...
    1967 Brooks Robinson (perfectly centered - and sharp)
    1971 Dick Allen (Perfectly centered - and sharp) - I mistakenly held on to the Murcer, but the Allen would have been the better hold...

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options

Secure the #1 positions on my top 2 registry sets.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:
    Secure the #1 positions on my top 2 registry sets.

Good luck! I hadn't heard of those sets before.

• Options

I just realized I posted about my coin sets in the sports forum.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it's complete the High Number series of 1966 Topps baseball (8 cards to go) and chip away at the 1971 OPC baseball set (I have most of the first few series but not a lot of the final two).
    Good luck to all with your collecting goals!

Daniel
  • Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Buy a card, sell at least 1 card. I have lots of nice cards languishing in boxes that I don't care about. Time to start making my collection self-supporting and downsizing to my only interest - Orioles.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2024 6:58PM

I’ve been slowly working on a George Brett opc set PSA graded the last several years and I just started a Topps 50 years of Hall of Famers set which is going to be a different HOF player card for every year from 1952-2001 PSA graded.

Oh and I almost forgot I have 1975 and 1978 topps baseball sets raw in penny sleeves and card savers because I like how they look that way. I probably have 50 or so cards left for each set to complete them.

• Options
    Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 138 ✭✭

I have one goal this year and it will be extremely hard to find - A 1976 Topps George Brett in PSA 9 condition. There's only 31 of them and there are zero 10's. I'm looking for a solid high end 9 which will make it even harder as the handful that I have seen would probably receive an 8 if submitted to PSA today.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck Yankees70 if you do find one make sure to post pics I would love to see it. Very tough card.

• Options

@Yankees70 said:
    I have one goal this year and it will be extremely hard to find - A 1976 Topps George Brett in PSA 9 condition. There's only 31 of them and there are zero 10's. I'm looking for a solid high end 9 which will make it even harder as the handful that I have seen would probably receive an 8 if submitted to PSA today.

Good luck on that hunt. That is one helluva tough card to find, and it's going to cost you $$$$.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am just proud to say that i havent bought a card all year!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 138 ✭✭

Good luck on that hunt. That is one helluva tough card to find, and it's going to cost you $$$$.

Agree it will be very hard. Any idea what's a fair price? According to the PSA website the last sale took place in May 2022 for $4,920. In your opinion how much would it sell for on EBAY or any other auction site.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

Not cards but I do hope to get all the 90s (and 60s/50s/40s) stamps done before the end of this year. And it would be nice to get the last few silver eagles to finish my set (86, 1995-98). It'd also be really nice to get a near set of 1973 Topps (omitting the top 25 as I got those already as PSA 7's, except Schmidt) and to check off a few of the mid-90s insert sets I'm lacking. And if I'm lucky, maybe silver will get down to <$20 again and I can stock up and finish (or even make another) my silver coin sets below.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

I have 3 cards left to get in my NFL HoF Rookie Setlist. So my goals are:
    1. Pick up a 1933 GOUDEY SPORTS KINGS RED GRANGE PSA 4 to 6
    2. Pick up a 1935 NATIONAL CHICLE DUTCH CLARK PSA 4 to 6
    3. Win the lottery
    4. Pick up a 1935 NATIONAL CHICLE BRONKO NAGURSKI PSA 2

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to add 3 or 4 Brady rookies by the end of the year, including showcase and rookies and stars. those 2 are the last ones i need to finish off the mini set of brady patriots uniform rookies.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would like to finish my 70s phillies run
    Then dig into the 60s a little more

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

@BJY83 said:

Which 76s you looking for? I bought a complete set (pulled from vendings) and a vending box in 23. I may have the ones you need and would be willing to get them to you.

Wow, thank you. I'll send you a DM.

Brian

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess on the PSA 9 76 Brett - 15k. Probably all depends on the quality of the 9.

I have an 8.5 that I would not trade for the 9 that's on eBay.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Treading lightly, staying connected to the hobby and watching values dip further.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2024 12:01PM

First time in 25+ years for me.
    Selling cards to buy more coins. Making a switch and really starting to enjoy coins more. And I dont have to worry about added damage or wear over time. But over graded coins are still a concern unfortunately. Cac preferred. And also trying to figure out the coin grading world is my new challenge. Hopefully what I learned from here will carry over. Not out of cards but my buying has changed dramatically. Now being super old in my 40s coins feel cool to me. Lol. I’m ok with that.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finish my Killebrew run. I need 63 and 67. I am looking for a PSA 4 or 5 grade.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

Continue with my 65 Topps Cardinals that I started late last year.
    Continue with my Cardinals-themed Peanuts bobbleheads.
    Buy some stuff to RIP! ( I can't help it )

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

i going to start a george brett player collection . so here are the first two of the year. i already have his 1975 topps psa 8 in regular and mini.

• Options

Sweet '79. Those are so hard to find with that centering. Very cool.

I'm also a Brett collector, but I only focus on 75-83. I sent in a couple 79s and a 79 OPC in the holiday special.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cards: Finish off Ollie Matson & Lance Alworth basic runs. Close out Lawrence Taylor Basic Topps.
    Comics: Close out the Tarzan Dell-Gold Key-DC-Marvel run. CGC + Raw.
    I like achievable goals. I'm lazy and turning 54 soon :D:D

• Options
    Cubbies1416Cubbies1416 Posts: 55 ✭✭✭

Try to finish my autographed card sets of the 2016 Cubs team, and the 1985 Bears team, which is mostly made up of 1986 topps cards, but some I had to get later cards (mostly offensive linemen) because their first cards weren't printed until years later. The big challenges for the Bears team will be Walter Payton and Dave Duerson. I've also had a really hard time finding a Mike Ditka autographed 1986 Topps.

• Options

@Cubbies1416 said:
    Try to finish my autographed card sets of the 2016 Cubs team, and the 1985 Bears team... I've also had a really hard time finding a Mike Ditka autographed 1986 Topps.

Does this card exist? I didn't check the pop reports but ebay just showed 2019 Skips cards to look like 1986. I did see he has a few autographed superbowl tickets from $500-$1000. One of those would be the cherry on top of crazy set you will have.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

Buy a collection.

Finish 5-10 registry sets

Add another 10% to the completion percentage of my AROD Master set

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still looking for an unopened rack showing:
    that one dude that plays on that red team and that other dude plays on that powder blue team...
    I'm almost certain those two guys play in the AFC West... :)

• Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    For me it's complete the High Number series of 1966 Topps baseball (8 cards to go) and chip away at the 1971 OPC baseball set (I have most of the first few series but not a lot of the final two).
    Good luck to all with your collecting goals!

The SPs high #s can be very tough to find in high end condition. Good luck on the Grant Jackson and Gaylord Perry.

• Options

@halosfan said:
    Buy a collection.

Finish 5-10 registry sets

Add another 10% to the completion percentage of my AROD Master set

What collections are you considering?

Which registry sets are you focused on?

Do you buy high end graded, NM/M raw, or some of both?

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Quality over Quantity

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    Cubbies1416Cubbies1416 Posts: 55 ✭✭✭

@JolleyWrencher said:

@Cubbies1416 said:
    Try to finish my autographed card sets of the 2016 Cubs team, and the 1985 Bears team... I've also had a really hard time finding a Mike Ditka autographed 1986 Topps.

Does this card exist? I didn't check the pop reports but ebay just showed 2019 Skips cards to look like 1986. I did see he has a few autographed superbowl tickets from $500-$1000. One of those would be the cherry on top of crazy set you will have.

Sorry for the late reply. Past week has been very busy for me, so I haven't been on here. It looks like you're right about there not being a legit 1986 Topps Mike Ditka card. Could have swore I saw an autographed one on eBay around a year ago that had the old PSA/DNA blue label and said 1986 Topps on it, but I didn't have the money to pick it up at the time. So, I'll have to get an autographed card from a later set, but I also like your idea of an autographed Super Bowl ticket.