Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guess the counter-stamp on this 1795 Large Cent.

1) Please help me decipher the counter-stamp on this 1795 Large Cent. I found it on eBay about a year ago, where I paid straight-grade money because I thought it was fascinating.

2) Does an intriguing counter-stamp or engraving ever significantly increase the resale value of an early-date coin?

Matt Snebold

Comments

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

J.C.W. Yealy or P.A. Yearsley, but I say the former due to what I believe that I see

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

TYEA

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a cool one!
    I have a bunch of early cents with cool stamps I've gathered over the years.
    Seems like unlisted stamps are generally going to be cheaper than straight grade, cool and eye appealing stamps like yours, perhaps about the same as the straight grade (if others show up to bid) and sought after, listed stamps will of course go for much more than straight grades at times.
    Just my observation though. I merely dabble in these myself...

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can definitively tie it to the person or business that counterstamped it the value does go up. Mavericks - ones that have indecipherable or common names probably lose value from a straight graded coin.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:

... listed stamps will of course go for much more than straight grades at times.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by listed. Do you mean recognized names/businesses?

Matt Snebold

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2024 1:20PM

Listed means included in Brunk's book.
    http://richhartzog.com/art/cma.htm

• jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:
    Listed means included in Brunk's book.
    http://richhartzog.com/art/cma.htm

Oh my! Thank you. This adds some interest to an already interesting corner of the world! I love it! Thanks so much!

Matt Snebold

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterstamps are a very interesting niche of the hobby. An intriguing counterstamp can take a common coin and bring extraordinary prices. Take this 1860 Indian Cent for example:

Recently sold for $4,000!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

@DCW said:
    Counterstamps are a very interesting niche of the hobby. An intriguing counterstamp can take a common coin and bring extraordinary prices. Take this 1860 Indian Cent for example:

Recently sold for $4,000!

Whoaaa!
    Do you know why this one went huge?

Turns out I have a few more than I thought 🤔
    I focus more on the silver denominations and Latin American when it comes to counterstamps.
    But I thought it would be cool to try for a date set of c/s large cents at one time... they were widely stamped and can be found pretty easily.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:

Whoaaa!
    Do you know why this one went huge?

It is considered historically important as issued "siege money" from New Orleans during the Civil War

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file