Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 OPC gray back Rickey Henderson PSA 9

Followed this card to end and saw the hammer for nearly $2200! It’s a gray back which is harder to find than the white. Im thinking a big Rickey collector really wanted this one! Happy to see OPC getting the respect!

Comments

• Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Any clue what a 81 OPC Tim Raines RC Gray Back PSA 10 would command in terms of price?

-Collecting anything vintage
  • Options

@JimMeant My guess would be similar to what the Henderson sold for.

• Options

@Mikeygiggs_336699 said:
    @JimMeant My guess would be similar to what the Henderson sold for.

Even though it's the same pop (2), since it's a rookie card and a 10 my guess would be at least $5k; my guess would be quite a bit higher if Raines was as popular as Henderson.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Raines psa 9 gray back. Listed it for $750 a few years ago and no bites. Finally just took it down and kept it. I collect the 1977 topps basketball gray backs and while everyone who collects realizes they are rare, the powers that be will not official declare it as a variation. But those backs are much easier to see the difference on than the 1981 opc, and 1954's.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I apologize for hijacking the original OP’s thread, but it’s so rare to see people talking about the rare OPC gray back variations.

Truth be told, I am the owner of one of the 2 copies of the 81 Raines OPC Gray Back PSA 10 rookies. I don’t necessarily plan on selling it anytime soon, but I’ve always been curious what a rare high grade HOF rookie might be worth in today’s market.

-Collecting anything vintage
  • Options

@JimMeant said:
    I apologize for hijacking the original OP’s thread, but it’s so rare to see people talking about the rare OPC gray back variations.

Truth be told, I am the owner of one of the 2 copies of the 81 Raines OPC Gray Back PSA 10 rookies. I don’t necessarily plan on selling it anytime soon, but I’ve always been curious what a rare high grade HOF rookie might be worth in today’s market.

I think it would be a good amount of money, like I found out Tim Raines is just NOT a highly collected player. I think most people feel like Raines and Baines really don't belong in the HOF. And in reality they don't. But both were very very good players and definitely worth collecting. Dwight E., Fred Lynn, Frank Tanana, Jim Kaat, Tommy John, Dave kingman, Buddy Bell, Al oliver, Bill Madlock. And many more, but in my opinion kind of all fall in the same category. Very Very good players and worth collecting.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

That's a great looking O-Pee-Chee

• Options

No doubt. All the players I mentioned were very good. Tanana 240 wins, Evans 385 HR and nearly 2500 hits, Oliver 2743 hits lifetime 303 hitter and the list goes on and on. But as baseball cards go, Raines is just ok, just like the others. I listed my opc 9 gray back raines when there were 0 gray back 10's and mine was a 1 of 1, but nobody wanted it at $750.

Probably not having any comps for the card hurts it some due to the rarity. No one is sure how much to pay. But the card should hold some very good value.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

That card was worth every penny!

For some reason, people never got excited about Raines. The media picks out it's "darlings" and "villains" and most people just believe the hype.

They don't bother to think for themselves.

While Raines didn't play as many games as Rickey, he's a lot closer to Henderson than Oliver, Madlock (I'm not looking at pitchers here) and the rest. Evans probably up there too.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2024 1:20PM

Playing in Montreal during his prime didn't help Raines' popularity. Carter and Dawson were able to spend the last years of their prime in New York and Chicago. By the time Raines left Montreal his was no longer the great player he had been.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2024 3:53PM

I have to go searching to see if I have any. I have 100s of Topps Henderson’s and I know I have an 81 OPC cut card case somewhere. I never thought that card was worth that much or would of cracked the case ages ago

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

I used to collect the Grey backs. I have several raw sets and some real nice PSA graded singles sitting around here someplace.
    Glad to see the Henderson getting some good coin!

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15