Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would this Classic Head large cent upgrade if I resubmitted it?

Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 1, 2024 9:26AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’m thinking of trying to reholder or resubmit this Classic Head large cent. I purchased it from Pierre Frick at one of the Long Beach shows a while back for an excellent price. It’s in an old green holder that’s scuffed up pretty badly and the slab has some cracks along its edge. So I was wondering if I should reholder it, and I also am wondering if it might be an upgrade candidate. I took the images with my iPhone but used the oil drop trick to minimize the scuff marks for the image taking.

I’ve never resubmitted a coin before that was already slabbed, so I’m hesitant, but it might be worth it. What do you think? Should I reholder it? Do you think it’s an upgrade candidate? Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Mr_Spud

Comments

• maymay Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you really don't like the slab, a reholder or an upgrade would be good. It just comes down to if you want a sticker on it.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin in that old holder, scuffs and all.
    I assume you already tried polishing it.

At best it may go 35 if sent for reconsideration, I don’t see it making XF. But in the end it’s your decision of course.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scuffs can go away.
    That older PCGS insert will be lost forever.

peacockcoins

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Scuffs can go away.

I know everyone loves old holders, but in my experience a lot of the old holder collectors prefer the slabs to be in decent condition. Though I cant really see them, OP mentioned that the slab has cracks along the edge and they could negate the allure of the ogh in this case.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Less common OGH's will go for a nice premium, so you could probably get halfway to 35 money for it as is, so why bother? With CAC it should go for dang near 35 money if not actually getting there, so the common-sense play is to CAC it. Gold CAC should get you straight to 40 money.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin in the old holder better than I would in a new VF35 holder. But Dan does make a good point and I do see the cracks in the plastic you mentioned. I would leave it be, but I do understand the position of a regrade as well.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@braddick said:
    Scuffs can go away.

I know everyone loves old holders, but in my experience a lot of the old holder collectors prefer the slabs to be in decent condition. Though I cant really see them, OP mentioned that the slab has cracks along the edge and they could negate the allure of the ogh in this case.

Good point about the cracks.
    I suppose though with the number of methods the scratches can be removed from the the focal points of the slab it would still be a welcome presentation.
    I have also found that collectors of early copper like to see the history of the coin within the slab- knowning it then probably hasn't been worked on and the proceeding fear it could "turn-in-the-holder".
    -Properly "restored" plastic, the OP's cent would fair better in the long run as is than in a new slab.
    On a side note: Looking at the reverse- the 30 grade seems fair and although perhaps slightly under graded, wouldn't warrant a grade of XF if that is what others would be seeking.

peacockcoins

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were me, I'd submit it to CAC and get the sticker, then leave it as is in the holder. There is only a $150 price difference from VF30 to VF35, You would probably spend 1/2 that getting reholdered or reconsideration fees.
    BTW, Nice coin :)

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think we need a 3rd party grade beyond being deemed problem free to value this coin.

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

Old holders are worth a lot…even with bugs in them….lol

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone, I think I’m going to go with the consensus and try and buff out the scuff marks on this one and include it, along with a few other coins, in my first submission to CAC for possible stickering. I just recently got approved by CAC so I can submit some. Now I just have to figure out how to do so 🤓

Mr_Spud

• jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

I dont think theres room for this one to go anywhere. Its reasonably a 30 and a 35 at best. CAC sticker is really your only option, IMO.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just used one of those headlight restore kits on my car. Im sure it would look great on the slab too!

• jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    I just used one of those headlight restore kits on my car. Im sure it would look great on the slab too!

Any automotive scratch remover polish will work. I have had great success polishing my slabs with it.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the holder is compromised CAC probably won’t evaluate it until it’s in a new holder.

The crack/chip is on the bottom left, here’s a picture with an arrow pointing to the crack/chip. Is that bad enough that CAC wouldn’t accept it?

Mr_Spud

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

I 'm not experienced enough to advise you, but am experienced enough to tell you that you've got a very NICE looking coin.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice coin and I think it just misses a straight-grade XF. I'm also with the previous posters about keeping it in it's current holder. I have an 1824 in an OGH I'll be hanging on to...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

The holder looks fine and the coin looks fine. Leave it as-is and clean up the slab if you like.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    The holder looks fine and the coin looks fine. Leave it as-is and clean up the slab if you like.

and if you want submit it to cac just for fun & giggles, you never know how the story will end

• EddiEddi Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry If I can't give an opinion on whether your coin would upgrade or not, as I don't know enough about TPG grading of early copper, but as an early copper collector I can tell you that is a very handsome example of a difficult date.

I am curious, did Pierre Frick assign an EAC grade to it?

@Eddi said:
    Sorry If I can't give an opinion on whether your coin would upgrade or not, as I don't know enough about TPG grading of early copper, but as an early copper collector I can tell you that is a very handsome example of a difficult date.

I am curious, did Pierre Frick assign an EAC grade to it?

He didn’t write an EAC grade on a label or anything like that, but I’m sure if I had asked him he would have. I do remember he gave me a great deal on it, at the time I had been researching the series because I needed it for my type set and I was expecting to pay up to double what he charged me for one for my type set. I’m definitely going to always check out what he has at shows I go to where he sets up.

Mr_Spud

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it and it's a very tough series, leave it as is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file