Home U.S. Coin Forum

1808/07 Capped Bust Half

Happy New Year everyone!!! Hope you all get your dream coins this year!!! Need help, again. Was offered this 1808/07 capped bust half for $300.00. Always wanted one but I do not know the value of these. How does it look. Happy I found this fourm to help. Everyone's knowledge is outstanding.

Comments

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would look for a nicer example. Not particularly expensive until you get to XF or higher.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to be approximately Vf20 condition so the price is not terrible, but I find the black smudge on the cheek to be distracting, and I don't particularly care for the black mold toning on the reverse. I would pass, I think you can find a coin similar in price with better eye appeal.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, you could definitely do better but it depends on what you want it for. Is it going in an album? I wouldn't buy it to submit to PCGS but it would like fine in an album. The price isn't bad for an early date red book variety, either.

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• Apollo_23Apollo_23 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

It would be for my personal collection and put away in the safe. Trying ti find one ti get graded and pass down to my kid one day

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2024 9:13AM

I'd like a xf 45 myself. How do you feel for that one being in your collection? 🙂

@johnny9434 said:
    I'd like a xf 45 myself. How do you feel for that one being in your collection? 🙂

I'd love a xf45 but for that year it will be pricey to have one lol

@johnny9434 said:

I found a ANACS VF35 but this PCGS VF35 with toning is stunning 3x the price though!!

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

That PCGS VF35 is a much better looking coin. Be very careful buying raw. If you have not handled a lot of these I would suggest going graded.

@pcgscacgold said:
    That PCGS VF35 is a much better looking coin. Be very careful buying raw. If you have not handled a lot of these I would suggest going graded.

Appreciate that. I have not handled a lot of these at all. Only 1400 bucks for that coin lol

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like the rest of us you'll get the hang of it

• fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

The VF35 coin is an 1807 hence the higher price. Are you just looking for a type 1 half or specifically an 1808/7? Or just an early bust half in general?

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Apollo_23 said:
    It would be for my personal collection and put away in the safe. Trying ti find one ti get graded and pass down to my kid one day

If you're going to look for a raw coin to grade and keep forever, I'd keep looking. It might take a while. Go to a bunch of shows and check out all the raw coins. You'll find one.

I go to a half dozen shows a year and find a couple at every show that I like and get graded. My avatar was a raw coin.

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

It would be a good deal (for you) at $150. I suspect any grading fees would be wasted money (details).

@fluffy155 said:
    The VF35 coin is an 1807 hence the higher price. Are you just looking for a type 1 half or specifically an 1808/7? Or just an early bust half in general?

An early bust in general

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

The face of the coin you posted looks like the coin had been cleaned. Definite pass on that coin. Spend extra $ and get a clean coin.

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you saying the 1807 in P35 is $900?
    Buy it now!

@jayPem said:
    Buy it now!

No it was 1450

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Apollo_23 said:

@jayPem said:
    Buy it now!

No it was 1450

Ah, ok.
    That's a great looking coin in a grade I particularly like.
    1807 price's have been creeping up steadily. $1450 seems rather high to me, but hard to say where they will level out.
    I see the 35 is cac as well... is Phil offering it to you for $1450? Listed at $1500.
    That's pretty tempting...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file