Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dean's Sports Cards ebay seller store

JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2023 5:36AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I was doing a comp on a 1958 Willie Mays / Duke Snider Fence Busters card and saw a raw one from Dean's Sports Cards. I realized he has his own grading system. I don't know if he does consignment or if he just buys and sells on his own. It appears he mainly does PSA slabs and also looks to get max value on raw cards with his grading reports. His point system seemed goofy from the Mays/Snider card I saw because his lowest corner grade he said was a 5, other 3 corners were higher, and his overall corners was still a 5 which didn't make sense to me. I do not really care how he scored it but it's better than looking at a $5 auction with poor pictures.

Anyways...many probably have seen this guy's store but he seems to have a ton of vintage and probably is a person who would sell individual cards which are part of a set since many of his sets are incomplete. It seems he has duplicate auctions for his cards. I'm kind of curious what ebay fees he gets hit with for having many high dollar auctions. I know ebay let's you list for free but canceling comes with a price.

https://www.ebay.com/str/deanssportscards?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=GzyQp8PURSO&sssrc=3418065&ssuid=ae-eOCLFR9S&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have no affiliation with the seller for what it's worth.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

dean has great inventory, but his prices are HIGH. i wonder how he sells anything. he used to have some short youtube videos about his shop too

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    dean has great inventory, but his prices are HIGH. i wonder how he sells anything. he used to have some short youtube videos about his shop too

To say the least. He is one of a few sellers where I don’t even bother looking due to sky high pricing. Though in the last couple of years, sky high pricing seems to be becoming more of the norm than an outlier.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    Though in the last couple of years, sky high pricing seems to be becoming more of the norm than an outlier.

I had never heard of "sports-cards-forever" until a few months ago.

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

And he doesn't really make deals. Most of the others (4SC, Mile High, etc.) I can email and say "Hey, I've bought from you a bunch, can you go a little lower on this one?" and they usually will. I've never had Dean's Cards do that for me.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone spent 20,000 hours entering all of Dean’s auction descriptions only for the items to languish in eBay limbo for decades due to insane BIN pricing. Whatever.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dean's is out for me....a few years ago my order from them was a Complete Disaster...

They mailed me the wrong cards... then I called and talked some lady about the wrong cards; and she was was nice about the incident and did her best to correct the order.

I then asked her, "well what about a tracking number?"

she told me that she will use the same tracking number from the original order.

I said to her..."Um that tracking number already showed delivered"

I really threw her a Loop on that one....I then gave her my email and said, "just send the tracking number to my email"

Dean's Is Out For Me... :)

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@JolleyWrencher said:
    His point system seemed goofy from the Mays/Snider card I saw because his lowest corner grade he said was a 5, other 3 corners were higher, and his overall corners was still a 5 which didn't make sense to me.

I agree with Dean's assessment.
    An overall corner grade is only as high as its worst corner.
    Same with overall grade. If a card is 10 surface, 10 corners, 10 edges, 8 centering, the overall grade should be an 8 at best.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good dealer to stay away from.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Dean and SCF just aren’t special anymore….

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

So lets say I ever get to a point where I can get PSA 7s of 1971 or 1972's (I know 1971 is my dream set but the colorful huge 782 card 1972 set shouldn't be overlooked in the slightest, right?)...where would be the go to place to get them affordably?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deans is cheaper on his website than eBay by a little bit. I have bought from him when he has had something I need and cannot find. His prices are high.

SportsCard Forever often lists cards available elsewhere on the internet at a mark-up. They once had a card I had bought elsewhere listed as for sale for a few days after I bought it. I asked my seller if they were sportscard forever and if so why they didn’t take the card down. They said they were not but knew they often listed their cards on EBay. Since this seller did not use EBay he didn’t seem to care since sometimes Sportscard Forever sold the card for him.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been picking up PSA 9's &10's from Sports Cards Forever, working on a Kirby Puckett master set.
    They have a lot of cards very fairly priced, and they have a lot that are priced very high.
    Fortunately for me, I need a lot of Pucketts, (1,262 cards in the set, I still need over 1000) I ignore the ones priced too high and still can find a few to buy.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought from SCF, no issues for me. If we could all get Dean's prices we would be millionaires.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

I can’t deal with SCF. Pricing is the least of the issues. He has Amazon shipping cards for him, they just get thrown unprotected in an Amazon envelope. Poor communication. There was really nothing good about the few transactions I have had with him.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    I can’t deal with SCF. Pricing is the least of the issues. He has Amazon shipping cards for him, they just get thrown unprotected in an Amazon envelope. Poor communication. There was really nothing good about the few transactions I have had with him.

Admittedly, I have only bought 3 or 4 cards from them. But I had no issues.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2024 12:45PM

@olb31 said:
    I have bought from SCF, no issues for me. If we could all get Dean's prices we would be millionaires.

If Dean got his prices he would be too! Makes you wonder if he has a strategy to put his prices extremely high and then list them as a different user for a lower price. Unless you had cert numbers for all his sets in his auctions then you would never know. Seems like a classic strategy.

• Options

@JolleyWrencher said:

@olb31 said:

If Dean got his prices he would be too! Makes you wonder if he has a strategy to put his prices extremely high and then list them as a different user for a lower price. Unless you had cert numbers for all his sets in his auctions then you would never know. Seems like a classic strategy.

Interesting.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every time one of their cards pops up on an eBay search for me it's ALWAYS being sold astronomic BIN pricing. I just avoid them all together so as not to waste my time or theirs.

Mark

• Options

@JolleyWrencher said:

@olb31 said:

Interesting.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

This hasn't been my experience.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

The common joke around the peak pandemic was that the prices were so high that Dean was now a bargain.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:

@craig44 said:

The common joke around the peak pandemic was that the prices were so high that Dean was now a bargain.

i like that!!! sounds about right

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

I bought 1 PSA graded card from sportscardsforever.
    Yes, I overpaid, but it wasn't often on the market and I needed it.
    The packing wasn't great. Just loose in a bubble wrap.

Deans has I card I need that kinda tough to find and he wants too much.
    I was thinking to send in some cards to sell, and use the credit to buy the card I need.
    How is Deans when it comes to buying cards?
    Is he paying a little more, since he charges more for cards?
    Anybody deal with him?

• Options

@RonSportscards said:
    I bought 1 PSA graded card from sportscardsforever.
    Yes, I overpaid, but it wasn't often on the market and I needed it.
    The packing wasn't great. Just loose in a bubble wrap.

Deans has I card I need that kinda tough to find and he wants too much.
    I was thinking to send in some cards to sell, and use the credit to buy the card I need.
    How is Deans when it comes to buying cards?
    Is he paying a little more, since he charges more for cards?
    Anybody deal with him?

No experience but maybe he, or other top dollar sellers, would give more in credit than cash you would get through an ebay sale to make it more affordable?

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever looked at completed/sold items for Dean? He actually sells alot..... presumably to set collectors and zero high dollar graded material. He actually won a couple of my ebay auctions many years ago and took a week to pay.

• Options

Sometimes reputation trumps lowest price. BBCE for example. Possibly Dean has been a key player for a lot of collectors.

• Options
    davin72davin72 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

I’ve watched Dean for years now……never paid his crazy prices…..but those SOLD items are not always correct. So many times I’ve seen him “sell” something and a while later that same card comes up for sale from him. I get he’s using eBay and his website so things like non payers can happen. I’ve just seen it happen with him WAY to many times.

• Options

@davin72 said:
    I’ve watched Dean for years now……never paid his crazy prices…..but those SOLD items are not always correct. So many times I’ve seen him “sell” something and a while later that same card comes up for sale from him. I get he’s using eBay and his website so things like non payers can happen. I’ve just seen it happen with him WAY to many times.

I'm curious what the strategy or story behind reselling the same card. I could see buyers rejecting something if it wasn't as described or buyers remorse and claiming their kid took their credit card.

Good info. Thank you.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

dean has a cool inventory on OPC cards but way over priced

• Options
    davin72davin72 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

@JolleyWrencher said:

@davin72 said:

I'm curious what the strategy or story behind reselling the same card. I could see buyers rejecting something if it wasn't as described or buyers remorse and claiming their kid took their credit card.

Good info. Thank you.

To possibly drive up prices. Now what he shows sold could be used as a comp. Only reason some of his sales caught my eye is because he would sell a PSA 6 for $300 when there were 8’s listed for half the price. I would keep track of that 6 and see it for sale later on. Like I said it could also be other factors like non payers or something like that.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@davin72 said:

@JolleyWrencher said:

@davin72 said:

Good info. Thank you.

To possibly drive up prices. Now what he shows sold could be used as a comp. Only reason some of his sales caught my eye is because he would sell a PSA 6 for $300 when there were 8’s listed for half the price. I would keep track of that 6 and see it for sale later on. Like I said it could also be other factors like non payers or something like that.

sounds like Shaninnagans or increasing the value