Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

question about auction houses

stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2023 4:26PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

If I sent a card in to a auction house. Is there a minimum price on a card that can be sent in? Like does it have to be a card over 1K to be sent in.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

Comments

  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stwainfan said:
    If I sent a card in to a auction house. Is there a minimum price on a card that can be sent in? Like does it have to be a card over 1K to be sent in.

    I’m not sure what the rules are for each auction house, but typically it’s a mistake to consign items of more modest value to auction houses. eBay draws more eyeballs (and typically a higher hammer price) than an auction house for a (say) $500 card.

  • stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PaulMaul said:

    @stwainfan said:
    If I sent a card in to a auction house. Is there a minimum price on a card that can be sent in? Like does it have to be a card over 1K to be sent in.

    I’m not sure what the rules are for each auction house, but typically it’s a mistake to consign items of more modest value to auction houses. eBay draws more eyeballs (and typically a higher hammer price) than an auction house for a (say) $500 card.

    Ok thanks. I was just curious.

    I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stwainfan said:
    If I sent a card in to a auction house. Is there a minimum price on a card that can be sent in? Like does it have to be a card over 1K to be sent in.

    No, but you will get better terms the greater the value of your consignment.

    Also, with REA, for example, items of lower end value would likely be placed in one of the Encore Auctions instead of the main seasonal ones.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @grote15 said:

    @stwainfan said:
    If I sent a card in to a auction house. Is there a minimum price on a card that can be sent in? Like does it have to be a card over 1K to be sent in.

    No, but you will get better terms the greater the value of your consignment.

    Also, with REA, for example, items of lower end value would likely be placed in one of the Encore Auctions instead of the main seasonal ones.

    Thanks. I have never done anything on a auction house.

    I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

  • I'd suggest if anyone considers going with an auction house for a small/mid size collection then see if you can group with another few people and split costs. An auction house may treat you slightly different for attempting to sell $250k worth of cards rather than $20k.

  • stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If I sold a $ 1,000 card at a auction house. How much of that would I get as payment?

    I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2023 9:54AM

    @stwainfan said:
    If I sold a $ 1,000 card at a auction house. How much of that would I get as payment?

    If the card sells for 1K with the buyer's premium, that means the bid price was $835 (assuming the buyer's premium is the standard 20%) which is what you would net out of the sale. If you consign higher value items, most auction houses will offer a percentage back to you of up to 10% or even higher of the BP depending on value, but if it's just a 1K card, I wouldn't expect anything back of the BP.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @grote15 said:

    @stwainfan said:
    If I sold a $ 1,000 card at a auction house. How much of that would I get as payment?

    If the card sells for 1K with the buyer's premium, that means the bid price was $835 (assuming the buyer's premium is the standard 20%) which is what you would net out of the sale. If you consign higher value items, most auction houses will offer a percentage back to you of up to 10% or even higher of the BP depending on value, but if it's just a 1K card, I wouldn't expect anything back of the BP.

    Ok thanks.

    I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

Sign In or Register to comment.