Home U.S. Coin Forum

Black toned, nearly corroded nickels and conservation

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2023 6:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone have any experience with these circulated coins? Is there saving them at all?

Comments

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure that corrosion has an irreversible effect on any coin.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2023 6:53AM

You might try that nic-a-lene cleaner they sell. I recall a part time dealer who claimed good results with it.
    Or even vinegar perhaps?
    I’ve never personally done much with nickel myself.
    I’m assuming these are low value coins as-is, with little downside if things go poorly.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have experimented with vinegar on blackened nickels. The acetic acid does dissolve the black surface but at what cost? It's nice to have details coins to test chemicals on. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    You might try that nic-a-lene cleaner they sell. I recall a part time dealer who claimed good results with it.
    Or even vinegar perhaps?
    I’ve never personally done much with nickel myself.
    I’m assuming these are low value coins as-is, with little downside if things go poorly.

Etching the surface with acid is usually not the best solution, especially on low value coins. What are you salvaging? Pocket change?

• kruegerkrueger Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Nickalene works ok . I have used it in the past. Contains same acid "Phosphoric" as in a coca cola.
    I don't drink that stuff any more , my kidneys say thank you.

Try a small amount of water In a cup, enough to cover your nickel put one or two drops of lemon juice in the cup
    Stand the nickel up on its edge so juice
    Can work on both sides. and watch the crud come off your nickel. Takes some days . It won't cure corrision just the crud.
    Works on silver too but leaves a cleaned look.. not hardly on a nickel. I have turned no grades with crud into slabbed AU58.

this method came from the book " Confessions of a Numismatic Fanatic" by Frank Robinson.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about these:
    I found about 20 of these black buffaloes, and acid hardly even gets through the stuff.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file