Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

No-name to PSA Crackout Experiment

SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2023 11:40PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I bought this 1992 Bowman Pedro Martinez slabbed by a company called CSA. Paid $7. I cracked it out and it looks as good as any I've ever seen. My theory is that is a card is gem mint to begin with, then the no-name grader's opinion is meaningless. I've had success crossing over no-name 10 to PSA 10 before. If the Pedro gets a 9, I'll take a loss as 9's can be found for $20 but 10's are $100+. Worth a gamble.

Also cracked out this 1993 Finest Tim Wakefield Refractor, graded 9.8 N-GEM (whatever that means) by Pro Grading. This card is nowhere near gem, as I can see a surface scratch along the right border, a dimple near the center & the usual refractor line. I think a PSA 9 is probably out of the question, but I'm hoping for an 8. This is a favorite PC card & I just want it slabbed by PSA, even if it's lower.

These cards advanced into assembly today so I should know soon. I waited until they were past grading to post because I'd wonder if PSA graders might see this forum, and I didn't want them to have knowledge of the prior grades.

BTW - 8 card order, 65 day value service. Arrived 12/20, grading 12/26, assembly 12/29. Quickest I've ever seen. Maybe it will be stuck for a while in assembly but still very fast.

Comments

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

@SoxPatsFan said:
    I bought this 1992 Bowman Pedro Martinez slabbed by a company called CSA. Paid $7. I cracked it out and it looks as good as any I've ever seen. My theory is that is a card is gem mint to begin with, then the no-name grader's opinion is meaningless. I've had success crossing over no-name 10 to PSA 10 before. If the Pedro gets a 9, I'll take a loss as 9's can be found for $20 but 10's are $100+. Worth a gamble.

I don't think the Pedro gets a 10.
    On the back there is white showing on left edge, as if the printing pattern didn't reach the edge.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

@SoxPatsFan said:

>

I don't think the Pedro gets a 10.
    On the back there is white showing on left edge, as if the printing pattern didn't reach the edge.

I think that may be a light reflection.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2023 9:25AM

It is a reflection.

Assembly received check mark today.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Pedro has a chance, but Wakey is OC left to right, so should be a 9 at best.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2024 1:50PM

Grades popped today.

Didn't get the 10 on the Pedro. Also disappointed with my Schilling Refractors - I thought at least one would get a 10. The 2007 Gold Refractor looked flawless.
    I'm OK with the Wakefield getting an 8.
    The Manny Gold Refractor was a surprise - I thought it had a small surface issue.
    Also good to get a 10 on the Jarren Duran.
    Last card in the order is a 2023 Topps Chrome Triston Casas Refractor Rookie Auto #/499 which also got a 10.

The gains on the 10's more than offset the losses on some of the 9's so I still consider this a successful submission.

14 calendar days, including 2 holiday weekends, from arrival to grades ready.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

Tristan is from my hometown....greatest high school hitter I have ever seen...played for team USA