Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Searched Rak Packs and Collation

In 1985 I worked weekends at a card shop for fun. I just enjoyed the atmosphere and also enjoyed the customers. The owner paid me in store stock. Back then RakPaks were loosely packaged and could easily be searched by sliding cards slightly to reveal the next card. This is a pak that I received for compensation. Listed for sale for $8 at that time so I picked it out as some pay. When customers showed me how raks could be searched I was pleasantly surprised that it also included a 2nd Puckett. When this was revealed to the owner he would not allow customers to pick out their own Raks. Pack collation could be pretty bad back then. The sequencing of cards was predictable based on what cards were showing on top. Example: If an 85 Topps rak had a Lee Mazzilli showing on top it was 100% guaranteed that the rak included a Mattingly. No need to search. Also learned this from customers. Never got too much into it but found it interesting. The evolvement of how raks were packaged in later years changed the game. Many of the veteran members here know about this but thought to share to some who maybe did not.

Comments

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

I knew the sequence to find Gregg Jeffries* (Topps 1989) because he was headed to greatness .... hehehe

(I have about 75 cards and at least 50 unopened racks with him.)

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2023 2:42PM

I still recall the David Robinson and Michael Jordon sequences in 90 Fleer . The again I think everyone on these boards knows those...?

One caveat they were not 100% accurate, more like around 70-75%, as if the pack contained All-Star, the sequence would shift to another sequence after that.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had a non card shop seller who had a business where he sold cards as well. Searched, then sold all his 85 Topps Rak Paks after finding the McGwire's,Puckett's,Clemens.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    We had a non card shop seller who had a business where he sold cards as well. Searched, then sold all his 85 Topps Rak Paks after finding the McGwire's,Puckett's,Clemens.

that is pretty slimy. I bet he didnt stay in business too long once people became wise to his methods

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

that is pretty slimy. I bet he didnt stay in business too long once people became wise to his methods

He sold the boxes of Raks over the net and to shops out of his area. He avoided local customers. I never gave him any business.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@EchoCanyon said:
    I knew the sequence to find Gregg Jeffries* (Topps 1989) because he was headed to greatness .... hehehe

In an alternate universe he could've been Upper Deck's card #1!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@Estil said:

As a lifelong Mets fan, they ran him hard -- and sadly, ran him our of town (he once batted .340+ for STL !).

This is/was a great article (2020) about it all -- wrong place/wrong time:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/23/gregg-jefferies-complicated-mets-failure-looks-different-now/

• Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

@Estil said:

@EchoCanyon said:

Jeffries was touted pretty high on the list of Mets prospects. Same as was Dave Magadan. Perfect examples of how not to go overboard in investments for rookie phenom hype.

• Options

@jraytay said:

@Estil said:

@EchoCanyon said:

Jeffries was touted pretty high on the list of Mets prospects. Same as was Dave Magadan. Perfect examples of how not to go overboard in investments for rookie phenom hype.

I seem to recall Mackey Sasser was promoted back then as well

Gen K (more like gen failure for 2/3) Isringhousen, Pulsipher, Wilson - yea the former did have a long career and some solid years as reliever with STL but I can't image anyone being glad they "invested" in any of his cards.

Then you have Álex Escobar ....

never "invest" in any NY Mets Rookie

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

Gen K (more like gen failure for 2/3) Isringhousen, Pulsipher, Wilson - yea the former did have a long career and some solid years as reliever with STL but I can't image anyone being glad they "invested" in any of his cards.

And let's not forget Alex Ochoa and Lastings Milledge

• Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

@jraytay said:

@Estil said:

@EchoCanyon said:

If you play Mets investment rookies on percentages you are absolutely correct. Only exceptions are these 2.

• Options

@jraytay said:

I remember Mackey Sasser at times had what I can only imagine was some sort of nervous tic where he would get stuck pounding the ball back into his mitt before throwing the ball back to the pitcher and of course this was exploited.

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2023 10:39AM

I also remember knowing the 1989 Topps Gregg Jeffries rack pack sequence. I think Jay Buhner - another highly touted prospect - was also in that sequence.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jraytay said:

@Estil said:

@EchoCanyon said:

I like to occasionally buy/rip some Archives every so often just for the nostalgia of it all and pulled an autograph Magadan. That certainly brought back the ‘what-if’ memories of those times and all the can’t-miss prospects of that era. It’s still floating around here somewhere.

• Options

@EchoCanyon said:

And let's not forget Alex Ochoa and Lastings Milledge

More like Fleetings Milledge