Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Years ago I picked up a 1986 Donruss BGS 10 Pristine

Jose Canseco for $200. The last time I saw a Sell on one of these was probably 2016 for $2,000. I don't even see them listed on ebay for sell for any amounts. Any one have any idea what these are going for or have seen one auctioned?

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't help you other than suggest you get in touch with Mouchi he seems to know much about Canseco.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Jose Canseco for $200. The last time I saw a Sell on one of these was probably 2016 for $2,000. I don't even see them listed on ebay for sell for any amounts. Any one have any idea what these are going for or have seen one auctioned?

Not sure how a BGS Pristine goes up against a PSA 10 but here's a PSA 10 ending shortly.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/386474618596?

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jraytay said:

@olb31 said:

Not sure how a BGS Pristine goes up against a PSA 10 but here's a PSA 10 ending shortly.

it's not close. but thanks.

• Options

If the POP is small enough, I think what it goes for is whatever you can get the most interested person to pay for it. That is kind of an annoying answer I know. But think its maybe the best way to see it. If there are none on eBay or any auction site, who cares if a person says well the last sale on 3/4/18 was 1,342.18 so I have applied my cost of money and factoring inflation I say fair price is 1543.77. It may be fair but you can say nope, go pound bricks. Your price does not work for me. I want 2300. Fair or not if you want this thing and this is only one you can try to buy today this is what it will take. I'd check the Beckett pop report and if its low, list it at 2750 OBO. See if you hear crickets chirping or if that gets a dialogue going. If crickets ease your way down until there is some noise.

I think the thing with Donruss and Fleer from the 80s is there were not many uncut sheets floating around. 84 Topps football there were a ton. So a BGS 10 Marino is not hard to come by. I have heard of people who had just stacks of sheets from an important year with an important card. Your 81 Topps BGS 10 Montana close to definitely not from a pack. Up North they love their hockey and their sharp blades so you have seen a lot of 1980s Topps BGS 10 BGS 9.5 hockey cards on the market. Yzerman Lemieux etc. The Topps sheets were plentiful. So people saw the business opportunity. Corners Edges and Centering if the cut was skillful could be 10s. Then you just need surface as a 9.5 and have your BGS 10.

I used to be on the look for uncut sheets and Topps was a dime a dozen. Fleer and Donruss very rare to see them pop up. So most any 80s Donruss Fleer card in a BGS 10 you had to pull from a pack and that is extremely difficult. Also, not a ton of people will try it. Most of the time people recognize their 80s cards would be more valuable in a PSA holder and went that path. So its kind of a perfect storm needed. The card needs to be flawless out of the pack and then the person had to pick to send it to Beckett instead of PSA. Maybe more common from like 2002 to 2005. I got one because in about 2008 I loved the way 1984 Donruss looked in those holders which financially was not smart. It was at the National and think I went to their booth like 7 times so maybe they just threw me a bone. I am pretty confident if I cracked it out now, no BGS 10.

• Options

no interest in selling it. just trying to get a market value on it for my inventory list. i sold a 1991 favre all 10's for $900 when that same card in psa 10 sold for $40. there is a major difference in bgs and psa in this instance with the canseco.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

For people that do not know a BGS 10 Pristine is a very rare unicorn that is hardly ever given out.

Not to sidetrack but I find it disappointing that the earlier 80's complete sets have very little value. I can see how the late 80's stuff could be considered junk wax but not the entire 80's.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@jraytay said:

@olb31 said:

It helps.
    I'd guess, based on quick research, any where from 1.5 to 4 times for a pristine 10. The Canseco likely in range of $1500

• Options

@Mcvillagehtx said:

@jraytay said:

@olb31 said:

It helps.
    I'd guess, based on quick research, any where from 1.5 to 4 times for a pristine 10. The Canseco likely in range of $1500

Had no idea of the big price difference between them. The link I included sold for $455. Must be the rarity of the Pristine pop. Both prices seem pretty high for a steroid era player though I realize he was quite popular.

• Options

I guess it depends on what it is. 1 have 2 1983 opc Topps Pete Rose bgs 10's, i think there are only 3 total, but they sell for about the same price as the PSA 10 which has a Pop of 22. I think the disparity really comes in when the card is a rookie and the PSA pop is really large like 200 and up.

• Options

1986 Jose Canseco Donruss is gawd. Favorite card ,,ever.

• Options

@Ridethelightning said:
    1986 Jose Canseco Donruss is gawd. Favorite card ,,ever.

1984 donruss mattingly
    1986 donruss canseco
    1989 ud griffey jr

3 iconic cards.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    I guess it depends on what it is. 1 have 2 1983 opc Topps Pete Rose bgs 10's, i think there are only 3 total, but they sell for about the same price as the PSA 10 which has a Pop of 22. I think the disparity really comes in when the card is a rookie and the PSA pop is really large like 200 and up.

It does. Most people assume your OPC Topps 83 Pete Rose are sheet cut. If its Donruss they dont.

• Options

sound right.

• Options

I was the winner of the Canseco PSA 10 ebay auction! I probably overpaid, but it is an iconic card that i always wanted to own along with the UD Griffey and the 90 Leaf Thomas growing up when i started to collect.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mikeygiggs_336699 said:
    I was the winner of the Canseco PSA 10 ebay auction! I probably overpaid, but it is an iconic card that i always wanted to own along with the UD Griffey and the 90 Leaf Thomas growing up when i started to collect.

Congratulations

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

The BGS situation used to be kind of interesting. I think I was able to get a couple of real nice BGS 10s on the first submission. But the way I have seen it work for me and for others is you could have a BGS 9.5 that was one or two subs away from a 10 and you could turn it in for a new graded card review. Then you could get a bump on a sub. Felt like often if you were one sub away they may say okay close enough. If you package it with 5 others maybe that one and another get a bump. Usually if you played that game enough it felt worthwhile. With the current demand I assume its tougher to play that way. But used to be fun to go to their booth for a National or Philly show and turn in some raw card reviews with some graded review candidates and then come back in 4 hours and see if you had any gold. With the subs it was easier to just inch it higher. Instead of getting PSA to push it a whole grade higher in one review. Or half. Here just like a 1/4 improvement. Not sure it would be so easy to pull off now. Probably have to be done by mail or if you were at the National for 3-4 days maybe. Was able to play it that way in 2018. But we know interest grew since then.

I have a Ben Sheets BGS 10. 😁 He had his 15 minutes of fame. And a Jonathan Schoop BGS 10 where I got the bumps. Had high hopes for him or maybe just wishful thinking, like the pawn shop guy who felt he had a Gem Mint Jordan. Maybe 2 minutes of fame for Jonathan. Got a few MVP votes one year.

• Options

@Mikeygiggs_336699 said:

By chance was it this one that ended last Thursday? https://www.ebay.com/itm/386474618596?