Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is This 1936 S Penny Proof Like? Updated Seller claims yes, is it worth much more?

WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 28, 2023 4:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was looking tonight at this coin and thought it looked like it has proof like surfaces. Very strong strike and flashy mirror like surfaces. Am I wrong or is it just a first strike or could it be struck off proof dies. Uncirculated issue. Any thoughts

I spoke with the seller and he claimed it is indeed proof like. Is the coin worth much more if it is truly proof like?

Comments

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

does it have mirrors? can you see stuff in reflection off field?

the lighting on the reverse makes it look CAM

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you aware that in many, if not most cases, even if the answer is “yes”, it’s not necessarily going to be apparent in the images?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes - do they even designate that though. I have seen a ton of these and they almost all look like polished steel. Mind you the ones I have seen are from OBW rolls. I personally don't like the look.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that you are being fooled by the lighting, in hand I think it will look like any normal cent of that time, albeit one that has a bunch of hits on the portrait.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin, if anyone is inclined to want to bid on it (so far, no bids):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/256350377515

peacockcoins

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    My guess is that you are being fooled by the lighting, in hand I think it will look like any normal cent of that time, albeit one that has a bunch of hits on the portrait.

I agree.
    Here is an MS 1/10 Eagle with the same "PL" characterisics from the same seller:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/256350373293?hash=item3bafac45ad:g:~0cAAOSw0J5lhNbX

peacockcoins

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one needs to be seen in hand in order to offer a viable opinion. There is something different about it and I am on the fence whether I like it. It has a look...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange around the rim - camera flash and a bit too much photo editing?????

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if it is a proof.
    Business strikes that are modern do not need to have cameo contrast to be “proof like” but if it is a proof than it might have a cameo contrast.
    I have modern coins graded PL that have no cameo appearance- there’s a thread on this topic somewhere

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file