Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need advice for consignment - High Grade vintage

JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
edited December 26, 2023 2:24PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I’m needing to thin down my collection and there’s a handful of cards I would like to sell very soon.

Who do you guys recommend for high grade vintage consignment (minor stars & commons) and why?

Here are the cards I’m looking to sell:

1. 1961 Topps #584 Jim Perry All-Star PSA 9

2. 1969 Topps #617 Jesse Gonder PSA 10

3. 1972 Topps #690 Willie Montanez PSA 10

Thanks in advance!

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options

4Sharp on EBay
    REA auctions

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would list them here before going to an auction house. You will have to pay 10% or more in fees to an auction house. The buyer will have to pay 20% or more plus sales tax so they will figure that in when they place their bids.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:
    I would list them here before going to an auction house. You will have to pay 10% or more in fees to an auction house. The buyer will have to pay 20% or more plus sales tax so they will figure that in when they place their bids.

I like that idea but don't do F & F, it's too much risk.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@jfkheat said:

I like that idea but don't do F & F, it's too much risk.

You don't have to do F&F if you sell here. Just have the buyer pay via goods & services

• Options

@Harnessracing said:
    4Sharp on EBay
    REA auctions

I have not done it yet but I plan to do 4 Sharp consignment in the next month. Think they could work in the space you are talking about and it sounded like what fit my interests. I feel like other companies it was as if they were trying to make it very clear or too clear we are only interested in your business if it is valued at x. Did not get that vibe at all from them. And maybe that is their game, knowing that people have been annoyed with that and they are trying to take those customers.

• Options

Their fees are reasonable and they get much more foot traffic.
    I send them 100-150 graded cards a month. (Except Dec and Jan)

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Whichever way you decide, good luck with your sales. 4sc is well-established so you can trust them. I'd be less inclined to do any business with probstein when consigning, for example. Many horror stories about lack of customer service there.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is some very sound business from 4SC. They know there are a ton of collectors with a wide range of card grades and values (especially these days with how grades are coming back).

They get your business on the lower end to start, prove to the seller they're honorable/trustworthy and expect the same seller will come back with the larger value items.

This is the reason I'm probably sending my entire collection through them when I'm ready.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just consigned with 4SC during their recent select showcase auction in November. I sold my items and got the 7% fee, which is well cheaper than anyone else was offering. It was a very easy process with good communication. I got notification the day my item was received by 4SC. They also have a great portal for all consignees where you can track your items. the payout was around 2 weeks after the auction ended. then I received a phone call from the consignment director to ask me about my experience and if I was happy with how things went. Communication was great.

My items sold on-par with other similars on ebay and with the great rate of 7%, i think i made out well. and i didnt have to worry about any returns issues with the buyer.

The guy I spoke with on the phone indicated there will be another select showcase sometime during the spring. I had a good experience and will consign again.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.