Home Metal Detecting
Options

Finds From Illinois

I recently visited my family in Illinois, and while I was there, I did some detecting. It was windy and cold on the day I had open, so I didn’t do as much as I would have liked, but I had good results-for me that is.

The wheat is a 1955 and is only my second that I have found. It was shallow, but the shoe was deep. Any ideas on how old it is would be appreciated. :)

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

Comments

  • Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2023 9:37PM

    Are you new to detecting? And what detector do you use?

  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

    @Conshyboy said:
    Are you new to detecting? And what detector do you use?

    I am rather new, and have some trouble procuring sites of interest. I recently acquired a Vanquish 440, and am still learning how to use it. It is rather confusing with its constant low signals.

    Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭

    @CRHer700 said:

    @Conshyboy said:
    Are you new to detecting? And what detector do you use?

    I am rather new, and have some trouble procuring sites of interest. I recently acquired a Vanquish 440, and am still learning how to use it. It is rather confusing with its constant low signals.

    Suggest you discriminate out everything below copper cents, although you could keep a notch open for nickels if you want.

  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Bayard1908 said:

    @CRHer700 said:

    @Conshyboy said:
    Are you new to detecting? And what detector do you use?

    I am rather new, and have some trouble procuring sites of interest. I recently acquired a Vanquish 440, and am still learning how to use it. It is rather confusing with its constant low signals.

    Suggest you discriminate out everything below copper cents, although you could keep a notch open for nickels if you want.

    What Bayard wrote…. If you’re not sure what VDI numbers to retain, I recommend you take a nickel and a small cent and place them separately on a non-metallic surface (like a large cardboard box) in an area where there are no metallic objects nearby to cause interference, and determine your 440’s VDIs from them. Retain your nickel’s numbers and the cent’s numbers along with everything above the cent… dimes/quarters/halves and larger will ring up higher than the cent’s numbers. Notch out (ie, cancel) all numbers below your nickel’s reading and those between the nickel’s and cent’s range. That should help you avoid a lot of the trashy metal (not all) and set you up well for finding coins.

    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

    I think that this will help. Also, should I do this in the custom setting?

    Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭

    @CRHer700 said:
    I think that this will help. Also, should I do this in the custom setting?

    This would save you the trouble of having to redo your discrimination pattern every time you turned the detector off and on, although blocking out everything below 21 or so can easily be done on the fly.

Sign In or Register to comment.