Home U.S. Coin Forum

1846 Seated Liberty Dime - Opinions Please

EddiEddi Posts: 433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please let me know what you think of this coin, including your opinions on how you would grade it.

Thanks,

Comments

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF20 and a decent coin. I never owned one nicer than VF.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice example of a VF20.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough coin in any grade.
    I agree with the VF and decent comments above.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been cleaned. If there are any hairlines, it will probably get a details grade.

• Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭

Agree vf-20 possibly an old clean

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old cleaning but it is a tough date. I can't imagine too many collectors that wouldn't be happy to have that piece.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that coin was originally toned almost totally dark. It was then burnished with a cloth to bring out the high points. It looks like it was carefully done. I don't see any hairlines. I still think it is market acceptable as a VF20. It's not a common date and many collectors would buy it without hesitation.

All glory is fleeting.
  • dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

Love it

• EddiEddi Posts: 433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for your opinions. They are very much appreciated.

I have had this dime since 2008 when I bought it an an HA auction. It was encapsulated by ICG and graded F15:
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/seated-dimes/1846-10c-f15-icg-ngc-census-2-24-pcgs-population-5-43-mintage-31-300-numismedia-wsl-price-for-ngc-pcgs-coin-in-f/a/1114-7989.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Some of you commented the appears cleaned. I myself do not see any hairlines and the toning appears original. However, I am certainly not an expert in this area. I can detect blatant cleaning, but not if it is subtle or very light.
    My question is this: is this not something ICG would have spotted and mentioned?

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭

oh brother

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2023 2:00PM

My question is this: is this not something ICG would have spotted and mentioned?

All of the services will straight grade pieces with "market acceptable" levels of cleaning. This piece doesn't look 100% original to me but is close enough to qualify for a no-problem holder. As you often hear at a coin show, "I've seen much worse pieces that straight-graded."

• EddiEddi Posts: 433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:

All of the services will straight grade pieces with "market acceptable" levels of cleaning. This piece doesn't look 100% original to me but is close enough to qualify for a no-problem holder. As you often hear at a coin show, "I've seen much worse pieces that straight-graded."

Thank you very much for your explanation.

• Klif50Klif50 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭

VF and it would great in my collection

• semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have said you'd have a chance at VF, but I like to see the leaves on the reverse all separated, with a possible vein or two in the center of a few leaves, so F-15 I really like the appearance of the coin.

This is my coin PCGS-XF-45 Have had it over 30 years, One of my favorites:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file