Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2023 Additions to a Complete Reverse Proof Collection

rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

The Morgan and Peace dollars are great additions to the ever-growing group of precious metal reverse proofs. They are beautiful to see, but are tough to photograph.
Maybe if our hosts would create a Registry Set for coins with this finish I'd be tempted to get them all slabbed.

The PM RP collection isn't really truly complete without the 2018 silver Reverse Proof Set added to the group pic.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got my Peace and Morgan.
    Very pretty coins indeed!

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

I like the look and contrast to the regular proof. Why did the mint begin this Rev style?

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent collection, I remember you posting these a while ago…

The Morgan and Peace look great with the others!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

@percyb said:
    I like the look and contrast to the regular proof. Why did the mint begin this Rev style?

They wanted to do something special for the gold and silver eagles' 20th anniversary in 2006.
    The finish was so well received in 2006 that they used it again in 2007 for the platinum eagle's 10th anniversary.
    It wasn't used again until the ASE's 25th anniversary in 2011. They added a reverse proof finish coin to one set or another almost every year since. (losing a bit of its "specialness" IMO)

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

@rip_f said:

@percyb said:

They wanted to do something special for the gold and silver eagles' 20th anniversary in 2006.
    The finish was so well received in 2006 that they used it again in 2007 for the platinum eagle's 10th anniversary.
    It wasn't used again until the ASE's 25th anniversary in 2011. They added a reverse proof finish coin to one set or another almost every year since. (losing a bit of its "specialness" IMO)

Thank you, kindly.
    Cheers!

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see a regular, annual Reverse Proof set. The type coins might be my favorite to photograph.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭

Will you include the reverse proof of the innovation dollars?

• Options

@Casabrown said:
    Will you include the reverse proof of the innovation dollars?

Now you're getting into what I consider a separate set of clad or base metal reverse proofs. The Mint started doing those in 2015 with the Presidential Coin and Chronicles sets. Then they added "special" nickels and a penny to a couple years' annual proof sets, and now the Innovation dollar series - 33 clad coins in all so far.
    I'll see if I can get them all into an updated picture.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool coins. Congrats.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love RP coins. Great looking set.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file