Home Sports Talk
Options

Fighting in PeeWee Hockey?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had some extended family over recently. one of them was talking about her niece's PeeWee ice hockey league. She said that they allow full on fist fights on the ice during games?!?!?!?!?!? I was incredulous and couldn't believe it. they actually defended the practice and said "its hockey" like it is no big deal. They were saying her niece is constantly getting checked/bothered on the ice and it is the only way to stop it. She also mentioned that the coaches/officials couldnt stop it from happening. I think that is one of the most foolish things I had heard in a very long time. actually thinking the coaches/officials couldnt put a very quick end to it.

Keep in mind, her niece is currently 11 and apparently this has been going on for a number of years, like since she was 9 or so.

What in the world?

I didnt want to cause WWIII at the dinner table with people I seldom see, so I let it go. but I have to ask, is this commonplace?

It seems absolutely crazy to me to allow that to happen.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Close to child abuse if this is allowed?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

i read this story very intently, word for word, and honestly....................what's the problem?

-Draymond

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    i read this story very intently, word for word, and honestly....................what's the problem?

-Draymond

I LOVE this. really I do.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2023 8:29AM

in all seriousness, if this is truly allowed with no attempt to intervene, there are adults wandering around who should be in handcuffs

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    in all seriousness, if this is truly allowed with no attempt to intervene, there are adults wandering around who should be in handcuffs

Ok, I am glad to hear this. My wife and I were beginning to think our thinking was off on this topic.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭

Its definitely not common place but is rather foolish given they have to wear full face masks. Usually it doesnt start until juniors which is the first level you dont have to wear a full face mask although some leagues are starting to require that for new players now too. I dont really see it any differently than youth mma/boxing, wrestling, martial arts etc. As long as it just happens naturally during the game, the kids are close in age, and its not the coaches setting fights up I dont have a problem with

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 478 ✭✭✭

It will stop quick when a child is killed. Because the lawyers will come out like flies on sh_t.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Its definitely not common place but is rather foolish given they have to wear full face masks. Usually it doesnt start until juniors which is the first level you dont have to wear a full face mask although some leagues are starting to require that for new players now too. I dont really see it any differently than youth mma/boxing, wrestling, martial arts etc. As long as it just happens naturally during the game, the kids are close in age, and its not the coaches setting fights up I dont have a problem with

you dont have a problem with 10-year-olds fist-fighting in an organized sporting event?

• Options

truthfully, I really dont understand why it is allowed in Hockey at any level or why people think it is "part of the game"

it is a "tradition" so to speak, but fisticuffs is most assuredly not a part of ice hockey any more than it is part of softball, NFL football or volleyball.

It is really stupid to watch grown men who are playing a sport professionally drop their gloves and start fighting on the ice. I dont know why they didnt do away with it decades ago.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

you dont have a problem with 10-year-olds fist-fighting in an organized sporting event?

Boxing, MMA, martial arts disciplines, theyre all organized and children fight in those sports every day. Boxers and UFC fighters dont just start training when they turn 18.

Fist fighting is probably an overstatement too. I doubt theyre dropping gloves and taking off their helmets that have full face masks. Padded glove punches, to a padded helmet, with a full face cage, we used to do that for fun in the dorms at hockey camps. Checking someone would be the much smarter way to get back at someone that actually can hurt

• Options

@craig44 said:
    truthfully, I really dont understand why it is allowed in Hockey at any level or why people think it is "part of the game"

it is a "tradition" so to speak, but fisticuffs is most assuredly not a part of ice hockey any more than it is part of softball, NFL football or volleyball.

It is really stupid to watch grown men who are playing a sport professionally drop their gloves and start fighting on the ice. I dont know why they didnt do away with it decades ago.

Theyve reduced it by making everyone have face shields but it absolutely has been part of the game. Generally it actually makes the game safer. Instead of everyone going for cheap shots on each other a fight or two happens and teams say okay were even now. If Bedard gets crushed by a goon someone comes and fights them and its over for the most part. If that fight doesnt happen every superstar stars getting targeted for revenge and it just goes back and forth.

Same thing charging the mound in baseball. You keep throwing at each other forever and eventually you need that to happen to get it to stop

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Carlin always said that Hockey wasn't really a sport, it was a combination of two sports, Figure Skating and Boxing.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2023 4:32PM

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2023 4:32PM

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

Theyve reduced it by making everyone have face shields but it absolutely has been part of the game. Generally it actually makes the game safer. Instead of everyone going for cheap shots on each other a fight or two happens and teams say okay were even now. If Bedard gets crushed by a goon someone comes and fights them and its over for the most part. If that fight doesnt happen every superstar stars getting targeted for revenge and it just goes back and forth.

Same thing charging the mound in baseball. You keep throwing at each other forever and eventually you need that to happen to get it to stop

the whole "fighting makes hockey safer" stance is baloney. fighting could absolutely be officiated out of the game. It wouldnt take too many 40 game suspensions without pay before guys started paying attention. the league just doesnt want to do it because, tradition.

its stupid and has nothing whatsoever to do with the game. it is grown men with no boundaries. from what i have read, the european leagues have done a much better job keeping fighting out of the game.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

Boxing, MMA, martial arts disciplines, theyre all organized and children fight in those sports every day. Boxers and UFC fighters dont just start training when they turn 18.

Fist fighting is probably an overstatement too. I doubt theyre dropping gloves and taking off their helmets that have full face masks. Padded glove punches, to a padded helmet, with a full face cage, we used to do that for fun in the dorms at hockey camps. Checking someone would be the much smarter way to get back at someone that actually can hurt

no, they are droping gloves/helmets and going at it. encouraged by the coaches

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Had some extended family over recently. one of them was talking about her niece's PeeWee ice hockey league. She said that they allow full on fist fights on the ice during games?!?!?!?!?!? I was incredulous and couldn't believe it. they actually defended the practice and said "its hockey" like it is no big deal. They were saying her niece is constantly getting checked/bothered on the ice and it is the only way to stop it. She also mentioned that the coaches/officials couldnt stop it from happening. I think that is one of the most foolish things I had heard in a very long time. actually thinking the coaches/officials couldnt put a very quick end to it.

Keep in mind, her niece is currently 11 and apparently this has been going on for a number of years, like since she was 9 or so.

What in the world?

I didnt want to cause WWIII at the dinner table with people I seldom see, so I let it go. but I have to ask, is this commonplace?

It seems absolutely crazy to me to allow that to happen.

USA Hockey, which oversees Pee Wee Hockey, bans checking up to the 12U level. The IIHF bans checking at all levels of women's hockey.

Fighting is illegal as well.

Either the niece is playing in the most rogue hockey league ever or the family member was lying.