Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Will Panini football brands die once Fanatics takes over?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 15, 2023 7:02AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Panini seems pretty headstrong about not selling the football brands to Fanatics. Likewise, Fanatics seems to be all in on promoting Topps brands.

Will Prizm, Optics, Contenders, Select etc die on the vine? it would be fine with me as I was never really into the Panini brands.

The only one I would really hate to see go is Contenders because it was a former Playoff brand and has such a long history pre Panini.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering if the Fanatics take over has been overblown. I was watching SCV and he made a good point that Fanatics may not have been as smart as we thought they were in hiring the former Panini employees. These are the same clowns that put out the same product every year and managed to reduce the quality as well. My favorite time as a football collector was when both Panini and Topps were producing cards, a monopoly is not good for the modern hobby.

I don't think those brands will die, At worst, Panini could go unlicensed and still put out sets.

Mike
  • Options

Was Topps the same company/brand/owners it started with 70 or whatever years ago prior to the suckness sale to Panini a few years back ? Once that was done, Topps just wasn't Topps anymore to me. The coolness left and it all went 'business'. I want the old original school people back.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wil be obvious 20 years from now. And in 20 years it is an easy yes.

• Options

I'd say yes. It appears the goal for Fanatics is to be a one-stop brand for everything sports. Think I saw they were investing in a gambling site. So think they just want to be all of it. Maybe they buy a cable network or a channel to stream games. Feels like the next step. But in the short-term if you want to bet on the game, them, buy a hat or jersey, them, buy a pack or box of cards, them.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the quality coming out of Panini products this year, Panini will kill the brands themselves. I've opened a few football boxes and the scratches and marks on the cards have been horrendous. I feel sorry for anyone that opens the high end boxes this year.

Mike