Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your early Walkers here 1916-1921 only

rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Walker Half Dollars are among the most impressive in all of US Numismatics. I wish I owned more of these.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
Copperindian

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Just a few wispy marks away from being a Superb GEM.

Ouch! It almost looks like recent damage or damage that happened years ago but wasn't put back into circulation. Seem like it still has a fare amount of detail for a 1917.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:
    Bought in a dealer’s junk silver box for 3 bucks.

If I may inquire, how long ago was your fortunate purchase?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2023 5:40AM

@BLUEJAYWAY, this WLH was purchased in 2001, when silver was maybe $8.00 an ounce (?). Found a really great LCS that never screened their silver or other denomination coins for better dates. This particular coin was totally tarnished black, but figured I could dip it and this is the result after 20+ years. I stand corrected-silver was only $4.37 an ounce in 2001!

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Walkers! :)

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Just a few wispy marks away from being a Superb GEM.

Run over by a Model T in a 1920's parking lot!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigtree said:
    One of nine early (1916-1921) Walkers with a gold bean.

Do people really care about numbers of gold beans out there?

Gold beans are a product of poor grading, not some inherently greater quality of the coin itself. Sometimes it seems like people value gold beans more than the coins themselves.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@Bigtree said:
    One of nine early (1916-1921) Walkers with a gold bean.

Do people really care about numbers of gold beans out there?

Gold beans are a product of poor grading, not some inherently greater quality of the coin itself. Sometimes it seems like people value gold beans more than the coins themselves.

I can see both sides of mentioning the CAC population (or PCGS population, or NGC population, or population with a specific designation such as FB, FH, FBL, FS, RD, RB, BN, CAM, DCAM or whatnot).

In my opinion, data such as gold CAC sticker population is interesting especially when it involves coins we typically do not see with such stickers, like this early WLH. Instead of illustrating poor grading, which might be viewed as poor grading at the original TPG or subsequently at CAC, I prefer to look at such coins as examples of people buying the coin instead of the holder (if they were the one who submitted it to CAC) since those coins that later earn a gold CAC sticker oftentimes cost the purchaser more to obtain simply because they are so nice for the grade.

However, I absolutely agree with you that many common coins with gold CAC stickers have a greater value due to the sticker than the coin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 8:26PM

great coins.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is such a great thread. Super examples guys! I can still remember the first time I saw a Walker. It was breathtaking and I get just as enamored, today. .

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 10:03PM

I still have some work to do on those 2 first pages. The whole album other than the first 2 pages is full except the 38-D which is still empty. All were found by going through my junk 90% silver hoard before I sold all the duplicates off a while back in order to fund my circulated slabbed type sets. Might have to look for a few of the ones I need in a similar grade at the next coin show I go to.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a qualified example. lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:

What do you grade is that coin?

• Options

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@jfriedm56 said:

What do you grade is that coin?

Was thinking it could be in the mid-AU range. If graders didn’t like the color possibly AU details.

• Options

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2024 1:28PM

I have a pretty slick 1917

When the light hits the date just right...

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Set of Good - Fine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file