Home Sports Talk
Options

Jon Rahm leaving the PGA Tour for LIV -- $450-600M

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 7, 2023 4:51PM in Sports Talk

to put those numbers into perspective, Tom Brady has made $350 million from the many aspects of his career

and if you're wondering where all of this money is coming from, the Saudi Arabian public investment fund has total estimated assets of $778 billion. that's a b, not an m.

incomprehensible what is going on in golf right now. a devastating blow to the tour. no clue what the endgame is going to be.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10100178-wsj-jon-rahm-to-join-liv-golf-on-450-600m-contract-won-2023-masters-tournament

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont blame him one little bit. that is generational money.

I thought LIV and PGA had come to some sort of symbiotic relationship awhile back? I guess not if LIV is still pilfering talent.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I'm wrong chime in but I think the only deal they have is that LIV players can play in the majors, I think.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I dont blame him one little bit. that is generational money.

I thought LIV and PGA had come to some sort of symbiotic relationship awhile back? I guess not if LIV is still pilfering talent.

there was a framework agreement back in June. the deadline for the merger deal is December 31, and no one has the foggiest. here everyone thinks there's going to be a joining of forces, then -- surprise! -- LIV poaches one of the tour's best players.

@DrBuster said:

If I'm wrong chime in but I think the only deal they have is that LIV players can play in the majors, I think.

correct, if they are exempt. take Rahm for instance. he won the Masters last year, so he has a lifetime exemption into that tournament. and because of that victory he earned 5-year exemptions into both the PGA Championship and The Open. and since he won the U.S. Open back in 2021, he's good there until 2031.

450-600 million, an abridged schedule (only 14 LIV events on the docket in 2024), travels the world, gets to wear shorts and listen to loud music while he's playing, and can still enter golf's biggest tournaments.

talk about living a charmed life

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the 4 majors are not aligned with the PGA Tour.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were offered that type of money and could still play the 4 majors, you better believe i would sign on.

If that is the framework going forward, i would think the pga might be a little worried

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.