Home Sports Talk

Jim Leyland Voted Into HOF

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Manager voted in today. Wonder if he will light up a cigarette at his induction speech? He use to light up in the dugout. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

    He's from my area Perrysburg, Ohio.

    Was funny when he told off Barry Bonds in spring training that one year.

    Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

    Ignore list -Basebal21

  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I thought both Leyland and Piniella would be elected; I can not believe Piniella didn't make it!

    Piniella had more wins, fewer losses, a higher winning percentage; Both have one World Series championship. Leyland got to two other world series with Detroit, that they lost, but in every other way, they're either equal, or PIniella is better.

    Steve

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2023 12:19AM

    @SDSportsFan said:
    I thought both Leyland and Piniella would be elected; I can not believe Piniella didn't make it!

    Piniella had more wins, fewer losses, a higher winning percentage; Both have one World Series championship. Leyland got to two other world series with Detroit, that they lost, but in every other way, they're either equal, or PIniella is better.

    Steve

    Pinellas even with those stacked Marines teams never did anything. The HOF has a lot of players that should be in, but I would not put him in

  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SDSportsFan said:
    I thought both Leyland and Piniella would be elected; I can not believe Piniella didn't make it!

    Piniella had more wins, fewer losses, a higher winning percentage; Both have one World Series championship. Leyland got to two other world series with Detroit, that they lost, but in every other way, they're either equal, or PIniella is better.

    Steve

    He threw a better base too. :)

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coolstanley said:
    He's from my area Perrysburg, Ohio.

    Was funny when he told off Barry Bonds in spring training that one year.

    I love that video. I like it when managers put petulant spoiled athletes back in their place

    George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Leyland was old school, he didn't have time for preferential treatment to Divas

  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I remember seeing him at the old Atlanta Braves stadium. He was walking around the outfield with a bucket of baseballs throwing them to the fans. I vividly recall having thought how really cool that was.

    I have this thing about players after making the 3rd out in the outfield, who are often times mere feet from the fans then they throw the ball back into the infield. I especially dislike how Verdugo, the Red Sox right fielder, never tosses a ball to the fans. Such a simple gesture could mean the world to some kid. He has ego issues, I hope they trade him.

    Quick story...many years ago while in Fenway Park, against the Yankees. I was sitting abeam the right field pole (known as the Pesky Pole to locals), about 15 rows up. I was with my two cousins, in front of us were 4-5 buddies, behind us were two dads with two small kids...
    Hensley Meulins hit a line drive right towards us, the ball somehow landed under the seats in front of me and it got booted behind me and the little kid tried to get it, but his glove pushed it a few feet away. A teenage guy got the ball, and it was boo hoo city for a couple of innings. Dad tries to calm the kid down, while we all hassle the teenager to give the kid the ball, no go. Up comes Don Mattingly, another line drive, guy in front of me ONE hands the ball, reaches between me an my cousin and puts the ball in the kids glove! What a gesture!! Everybody is now happy, the teenager and his buddy are gone. Kid gets a nice Don Mattingly ball, dad buys the guy a beer. What are the odds????

  • tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭

    Trading Verdugo is a problem as nobody likes his attitude and will not give much for him.
    I agree that baseball is for kids and it means a lot to them to get one at the ballpark.
    I never got one at a game at either Braves field or Fenway but would have given it away if I had.
    I have given away my age to mention Braves Field.

  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:
    Leyland was old school, he didn't have time for preferential treatment to Divas

    Article today about that video. Sounds like Bonds called Leyland to congratulate.

    https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news/jim-leyland-regrets-viral-video-tirade-barry-bonds-1991-pittsburgh-pirates

    Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

    Ignore list -Basebal21

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coolstanley said:

    @perkdog said:
    Leyland was old school, he didn't have time for preferential treatment to Divas

    Article today about that video. Sounds like Bonds called Leyland to congratulate.

    https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news/jim-leyland-regrets-viral-video-tirade-barry-bonds-1991-pittsburgh-pirates

    That's great, like him or not that was a classy move by Bonds.

Sign In or Register to comment.