Home Sports Talk
Options

GA coach Kirby Smart throws freshman under the bus for yesterday's loss...and the final 4 prediction

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kirby Smart was obviously disappointed in the Bulldog loss yesterday, BUT...the following quote from him shows how shallow a man he is, placing blame and singling out ONE player...how about the other bonehead plays that may well have cost or severely impacted the outcome? Like the off sides on the FG attempt and losing the ball inside the red zone...crickets. What a PATHETIC man to paint this young man with such a burden, maybe a teenager, who was eager to play and contribute. Smart made him a marked man on campus. Geez, he was 2nd or 3rd stringer...how bush league of a coach to do such a thing!!!

“We busted a coverage with a freshman linebacker in there that they ran a wheel route on. Kid’s in the game because the other two are down and they hit a wheel route for a free touchdown," Smart said. "And then we gave them the field goal off the turnover … that was 10 points."

Smart may not have mentioned Wilson by name, but he pointed to the freshman linebacker’s blunder as the difference in his team’s loss. That’s tough.

Smart was on local Atlanta tv this AM pleading his case about making the final four. Claiming GA was the best of the best and the committee should have an easy decision to make. He was pathetic, almost like begging a dad for forgiveness for not getting his daughter home before the agreed curfew. Had your team played better, you'd be 13-0 and have a better shot, but, you're 12-1, suck it up.

PREDICITONS
NO SEC team

Michigan - Texas - Washington - FSU
Michigan will win the National Championship

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

All this with due respect to Eric, who I think would want us all to remember him and simply march on. RIP my friend.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very unprofessional for him to do that

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm personally not a huge fan of the college football transfer portal but if I was this young man I would be utilizing it and going to play for a coach who has his players backs, not one who stabs players in the back when the chips are down.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭

Guys like Kirby and Saban are at the top because they hold people accountable and will call people out if necessary. Kirby didnt even call him out he just said what happened. Georgia is expected to be in the playoffs every year. Its not a program for every one, some guys understand that others transfer out for various reasons.

His job is to make the case for his team every coach does that and he is right that Georgia is the elite of the elite. Only Alabama has more 5 stars than they do and theres no combination of teams than Georgia Bama that has more 5 stars, more 4 stars, and more future NFL players than that game. Unfortunately they have to go through each other a lot of the time to get to the playoffs instead of getting to play an Iowa or Purdue

If you were to set the CFP by pure talent alone it would be Bama, Georgia, OSU, Texas but Ryan Day cant figure out how to beat Michigan

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Guys like Kirby and Saban are at the top because they hold people accountable and will call people out if necessary. Kirby didnt even call him out he just said what happened. Georgia is expected to be in the playoffs every year. Its not a program for every one, some guys understand that others transfer out for various reasons.

“We busted a coverage with a freshman linebacker in there"
    Smart may not have mentioned Wilson by name, but he pointed to the freshman linebacker’s blunder as the difference in his team’s loss. That’s tough.
    The second quote is from a local sports writer.

Clearly Smart called him out...how can you not see that? How many freshman linebackers do you think they have that were in on that play?? He's nothing but a bush league coach. He embarrassed himself and embarrassed his player, he could have chosen other situations, but he chose not to.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Basebal21 said:

“We busted a coverage with a freshman linebacker in there"
    The second quote is from a local sports writer.

Clearly Smart called him out...how can you not see that? How many freshman linebackers do you think they have that were in on that play?? He's nothing but a bush league coach. He embarrassed himself and embarrassed his player, he could have chosen other situations, but he chose not to.

Okay and whats the problem with saying what happened? This isnt peewee football this is elite level college athletics where guys are getting paid. Top college athletics are just pro sports with classes.

If you think Smart is a bush league coach I dont know what to tell you. Hes either the number 1 or 2nd best coach in college football depending what argument you want to make. Saban is the only one you could argue over him.

I doubt the player was surprised it was mentioned and if he cant handle the limelight then he doesnt belong there and they will find someone that can. Thats how top programs work in college sports

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

FSU gets screwed but with their starting QB out would they really be competitive?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    FSU gets screwed but with their starting QB out would they really be competitive?

If they had Jordan Travis they would be absolutely competitive.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@2dueces said:

That’s my meaning. Without him they can’t be competitive. Guess it didn't come across that way.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@2dueces said:

That’s my meaning. Without him they can’t be competitive. Guess it didn't come across that way.

My bad, I read your statement wrong Dueces, it is a shame they won't get that shot, starting qb or not going forward, a 13-0 season and spot #4 in the rankings you should be a shoe in for the playoff regardless.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@2dueces said:

Their 2nd string QB would've been back for the playoffs.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 3, 2023 7:10PM

@LandrysFedora said:

@2dueces said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@2dueces said:

My bad, I read your statement wrong Dueces, it is a shame they won't get that shot, starting qb or not going forward, a 13-0 season and spot #4 in the rankings you should be a shoe in for the playoff regardless.

Liberty was 13-0 as well how a record comes about should matter. What happened with FSU was they lost Travis and they just were not the same team the last two games. I posted in the college thread about the differences in talent and schedules so I wont repeat it here. but FSU maybe could have beaten Michigan since they cant throw the ball either but thats about it. They would not have been very competitive.

The one thing I will repeat from the other thread is that FSU was out regardless. They didnt show they could be competitive in a playoff and Texas was jumped to 3 which would have been above them.

If Georgia won it would have been Georgia, Michigan, Washington, Texas