Home U.S. Coin Forum

Your thoughts on ASE “generic” slabs

Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collected all the 2020 and 2021 ASEs as they switched to type I to type II - and then bought “internet slabs” to store them in. Only because I don’t have a way to easily view them when they remain in their OGP boxes but when stored in slabs (bought these on Amazon and printed the labels myself) makes it easier for me to enjoy these amazing coins without having to open boxes etc., etc-
I may send theee in for grading / that is another way to make it easier to view them but isn’t this way cheaper? I’m not concerned if a coin is 69 vs 70, I just want them to be easy to view and that’s why I like these Amazon holders (these just happen to fit into NGC boxes but some may fit into PCGS boxes …

Thoughts?

Comments

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    They look great. In my opinion, there’s no real need to get bullion graded when so many perfect ones were made and they don’t circulate and get worn down much.

I agree - although these are not the bullion ASEs (in my opinion those should not be graded!) these are the proof or business strike W mint collector versions with st least some numismatic value. The truly bullion versions come in tubes of 20 and not in OGP like these do - and that was my whole point of this post … is this better than keeping them in the OGP? (Stands for original government packaging)

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not OGP.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:

@Mr_Spud - Here is a bullion coin fyi (and a fake one)

The previous coins are technically not bullion

Ok, maybe the better term I’m looking for is “Not made for circulation” or something like that. Ever since they perfected their latest process for making proofs, as well as the ones not made as proofs but still not made for circulation, it’s not like there are grades from 1-70 like there are with actual coins designed to be circulated so no real need to grade them. Too many are perfect or near perfect to need a 70 point grading system. They are pretty and collectable and all that, but they are made for collectors and/or bullion stackers and handled so much more carefully than regular coins made for circulation that grading on the same 70 point Sheldon system as regular coins isn’t really needed.

Mr_Spud

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

I never understood grading these types of coins/bullion. Great for the grading companies though. They are all the same for all intents and purposes

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Graded or not, I really like them. You've done a great job.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not waste money slabbing bullion.

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭

OGP takes up far too much space, This idea, "internet" slabs helps to reduce space.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if you submitted these coins in the holders for grading to pcgs or NGC if they would claim they were already slabbed and you’d have to submit under the crossover category? Reason I ask is because of the added 1% guarantee premium at pcgs that could come into play. I’ve seen people submit coins in almost every possible fashion before at shows, but never in these homemade holders.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

If those labels are inside your homemade slabs I would worry that you may end up with some ugly toners.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2023 6:17AM

Great looking coins. Like slabbed ASE’s. More silver in them than Morgan Dollars.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

@Smudge said:
    I would not waste money slabbing bullion.

They are not bullion - they didn’t come in monster boxes they can in OGP from the mint

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate your sense of enjoyment and organization. So many ways to grow this hobby. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worse than raw. Put them in an album to enjoy them.

• 124Spider124Spider Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have lots of slabbed coins, because I'm risk-averse (don't like spending big bucks on coins without being confident that they're genuine and the grade advertised). But I don't like the look, compared to a raw coin, or a coin in OGP.

So, to me, taking it out of OGP (or an album) and sticking into a meaningless "slab" is the worst of both worlds.

@124Spider said:
    I have lots of slabbed coins, because I'm risk-averse (don't like spending big bucks on coins without being confident that they're genuine and the grade advertised). But I don't like the look, compared to a raw coin, or a coin in OGP.

So, to me, taking it out of OGP (or an album) and sticking into a meaningless "slab" is the worst of both worlds.

When in the OGP I tend to not look at them as often

• 124Spider124Spider Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:

@124Spider said:

To each his own. My post was responding to your inquiry for my thoughts, not a criticism.

@124Spider said:

@Che_Grapes said:

@124Spider said:

To each his own. My post was responding to your inquiry for my thoughts, not a criticism.

Thank you - not taken as a criticism! I appreciated your thoughts - that’s what I asked for so thanks again!

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2023 12:53PM

From tube to album for display, is my preferred way. My wife gets one and 17 to grandchildren for their albums. That is where one tube goes. Am not a proponent of any slabs for eagles. They need Liberty.
    I don't buy them (directly) from the mint ,either.

And they look good ...no matter where.

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    From tube to album for display, is my preferred way. My wife gets one and 17 to grandchildren for their albums. That is where one tube goes. Am not a proponent of any slabs for eagles. They need Liberty.
    I don't buy them (directly) from the mint ,either.

And they look good ...no matter where.

Yes as long as you understand these are the bullion versions - the ones bought from the mint are numismatic- limited mintage and more collectible. Supposedly worth more than silver spot / at least yours are only worth the small spot and premium paid - so when your grandkids go to sell them (and they will) they will at least get a good deal for what you paid. That’s not necessarily the case with proof ASEs

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes you can buy the coins that are already slabbed by NGC OR PCGS, at just a little bit more than the price of raw.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2023 7:37AM

Slabbed ASE are real nice. Like stack them at shows, popular sellers. For pricing I refer to CDN CPG. They have more silver than Morgan $ and are a super investment buy. They make a nice display in my case of currency - stacks of graded and raw.

Very affordable, for many this may be their first investment grade slabbed coin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file