Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Rare Canadian Tokens from ANS Collection at Heritage. Ends December 4, 2023

Hi All, The ANS has deaccessioned several hundred Canadian tokens, most of which pre-date 1905. Many of them have been off the market for over a century. Most of them are Uncirculated. Some have mintages of just 20 pieces! (Note: These are all duplicates from the ANS Collection. Our collection of Canadian tokens is still absolutely amazing!). Click here to view the auction, which ends on December 4.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
American Numismatic Society
New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah! Nobody else bid please. >:)

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Very neat! Thank you for sharing, Jesse.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

this is a cool once in a lifetime opportunity - I like that the museum is deaccessioning duplicates, looking forward to more

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone wins any of the bulk lots, or upgrades anything from their collection and winds up with duplicates from this sale, let me know. I'm a casual collector of these and might be in the market for any you want to divest!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only about 1-3/4 hours before the auction goes live!

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

What coins in this auction are the top say 4-5 coins? I know little about tokens except the obvious like R&W. Owen Montreal.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

I won 6 lots total. 4 of the 6 are NGC with ANS/Norweb pedigree on the holder. Received a call from Heritage today stating that the tokens are being returned to NGC to have the Norweb name removed. I asked why but the caller didn't know. Strange.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1960NYGiants said:
    I won 6 lots total. 4 of the 6 are NGC with ANS/Norweb pedigree on the holder. Received a call from Heritage today stating that the tokens are being returned to NGC to have the Norweb name removed. I asked why but the caller didn't know. Strange.

Geez, that would annoy me, as the Norweb name would be a nice provenance.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1960NYGiants said:

Gene, please share more as/if you learn it. Strange indeed.

• Options

Maybe @JesseKraft knows.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options

Hi All, Sorry for the delay on this. Haven't been on here in a while, but did find out why. There was some miscommunication between HA and NGC about the provenance of these coins. I do have the provenance for most of the pieces in the sale (those that the ANS knew of anyway), and am more than happy to let anyone know what is what if they'd like to contact me. Our apologies for this confusion, @1960NYGiants, but we didn't know that anything was amiss with the holders until it was far beyond too late.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meanwhile people purchased tokens they thought had a pedigree and they did not.......?

• Options

@JesseKraft said:
    Hi All, Sorry for the delay on this. Haven't been on here in a while, but did find out why. There was some miscommunication between HA and NGC about the provenance of these coins. I do have the provenance for most of the pieces in the sale (those that the ANS knew of anyway), and am more than happy to let anyone know what is what if they'd like to contact me. Our apologies for this confusion, @1960NYGiants, but we didn't know that anything was amiss with the holders until it was far beyond too late.

No worries. Got them back last week with the corrected labels with the "ex/ANS". Only problem is the NS-20A2 which is an R8 is actually a 20A1 (R3) and worth much less than what I paid for it.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2024 9:37AM

@1960NYGiants said:
    No worries. Got them back last week with the corrected labels with the "ex/ANS". Only problem is the NS-20A2 which is an R8 is actually a 20A1 (R3) and worth much less than what I paid for it.

Yikes! That is a big problem. I just double-checked the list I sent over to Heritage. There were four 1813 Pure Copper penny tokens to be in the auction: NS-20A1 (x2), NS-20A3, and NS-20A4. I did not include a NS-20A2. I would seriously consider contacting them about this.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

• Options

UPDATE. With @JesseKraft 's help, HA.com bought the token back (100% refund). Thanks Jesse.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay