Home Stamps Forum
Options

First time this has happened to me

JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know they came out about two months ago but I went to the main post office in my city today and found out the Ruth Bader Ginsburg stamps were sold out. Do commemorative stamps usually sell out within two months? I don’t usually buy stamps but thought it would be fun to get some of the RBG stamps. I assumed they would have plenty since they probably would have enough to last a year or so. I guess I was wrong about that. Luckily I found some at another post office but multiple post offices I checked around here they were sold out. Is this typical?

Comments

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JMS1223 said:
    I know they came out about two months ago but I went to the main post office in my city today and found out the Ruth Bader Ginsburg stamps were sold out. Do commemorative stamps usually sell out within two months? I don’t usually buy stamps but thought it would be fun to get some of the RBG stamps. I assumed they would have plenty since they probably would have enough to last a year or so. I guess I was wrong about that. Luckily I found some at another post office but multiple post offices I checked around here they were sold out. Is this typical?

Don't know. This does seem a short time to me. Good news, the USPS still sells them on their website.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/ruth-bader-ginsburg-stamps-S_483304

• Options

Good to know they are not sold out on their website yet. :)

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

From what I understand, post offices order their needs on new issues. However, they don't want to get stuck with too much of any issue, because they will get in trouble carrying extra inventory. Most higher volume post offices will carry some quantity of each new issue, smaller ones not so. I'd suggest talking to your local post office postmaster and see if he will help get you new issues as they are released. If you have a good relationship with him/her then it shouldn't be an issue.
    If that fails, order your needs from the website above.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Issues like that with a recently deceased personality are slow sellers at many post offices. Your post office may not have ordered many. It will be interesting to see how quickly they sell out through the USPS online site.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some highly popular issues sell out completely in much less than a year. The "Raven's Song" stamp from several years ago did.

Some local POs don't like ordering extra inventory so local POs can sell out even faster.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Some local POs don't like ordering extra inventory so local POs can sell out even faster.

That might explain why I was able to get some at a lesser used post office since both the main post offices in my city were sold out, but a post office out of the city in a nearby town had plenty of them.