Home Sports Talk
Options

Georgia/Alabama this Saturday at 4, maybe an upset is brewing

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calling all Dawg and Bama fans...

I called a business guy yesterday, he's a dyed-in-the-wool Dawgs fan and has season tix. His immediate comment was "where gonna kick their a$$ by 2 touchdowns". I seriously doubt this will happen. While the Dawgs are favored, the game means much, much more to Alabama, win and they have a shot to the big dance, lose and your season is done. The Dawgs OTOH have already clinched a spot, this is important to them for bragging rights and to shut out Bama.

The Dawgs didn't play too well last week, and Bama pulled out a miracle. I'm thinking there could be an upset in the making. I live about 40 miles from Athens, home of the Dawgs and the locals are all rah rah Dawgs and seem to be already writing Bama's obituary. They may have to eat some crow...just one or two plays could make the difference in this game.

Anyone care to comment or make predictions?

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't consider Bama winning as an upset. From what I know both are pretty evenly matched teams.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Georgia 34
    Alabama 14

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:
    I wouldn't consider Bama winning as an upset. From what I know both are pretty evenly matched teams.

Right now on a sports betting website I saw, the books have it Georgia -6 as the favorite.

Considering that the books basically automatically give the home team 3 points against the spread, and Alabama is the home team, on a neutral field the line would be Georgia -9.

So if Alabama wins, I would consider that an upset. Not a huge upset, but an upset nevertheless.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've learned over the years that's it's impossible to predict what is going to happen in a game, Alabama winning is certainly a possibility. These conference championship games are dangerous for the favored teams, the underdog is always looking to prove something and win that championship and they come to play. I think this is going to be a hard fought game, could go either way.

• Options

Point is, this game is everything to Bama and a loss doesn't hurt Georgia. Therefore, I'm sure Saban is super pumped and planning for this one.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

<-alumDawg

I absolutely will not say anything about who's going to win. SEC champ game and Tennessee always scare me so I keep my mouth shut.

We played w/o basically all our receivers against Tech. Hopefully they all play this weekend and we have a full arsenal to throw at bama.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

We don't have a chance.... :)
    Playin' georgia in their sandbox ain't easy, they get home cookin' every year.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see Alabama winning, this is a down year for Nick Saban. His teams are typically better overall and more disciplined.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    We don't have a chance.... :)
    Playin' georgia in their sandbox ain't easy, they get home cookin' every year.

Well, they aren't playing in Sanford stadium, they are playing in dowtown Atlanta, about 75 miles from Athens. The Tide will take a 3hr bus ride from Tuscaloosa, almost a straight shot along I-20. Mercedes-Benz stadium is where the Falcons play, and is pretty much a neutral venue. Again, IMO, it's to garner more $$$$. There is a MASSIVE following of both teams, and to be fair, having it at the Benz opens up more seats, suites, etc.

If you already knew all that, my apologies. I really think The Tide may well rise to the occasion. Again, both played poorly last week, it should be quite a shoot out.

• Options

Thanks, but playing Georgia in Atlanta is not a neutral venue.
    Listen to the crowd, they'll tell you.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anytime Alabama wins a football game I find it very difficult to call it an upset.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Anytime Alabama wins a football game I find it very difficult to call it an upset.

There is alot of truth to this statement

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2023 1:52AM

@stevek said:

@Alfonz24 said:

Right now on a sports betting website I saw, the books have it Georgia -6 as the favorite.

Considering that the books basically automatically give the home team 3 points against the spread, and Alabama is the home team, on a neutral field the line would be Georgia -9.

So if Alabama wins, I would consider that an upset. Not a huge upset, but an upset nevertheless.

Home teams get the 3 when theyre actually at home. Its because of the crowd and the other team having to travel. Neutral fields you dont get a boost just for being the home team when both teams are traveling and the crowd will be a 50/50 split.

Georgia is also basically the home team. The game is played in the Falcons stadium in Atlanta

• Options
    edited November 29, 2023 3:17AM

@Alfonz24 said:

At most positions they are. Georgia has the better QB and if Bowers is healthy hes one of the best pass catchers in the country, but Bowers and McConkey for GA have injury issues and might not play or only play sparingly. Bama has the best DB in the country which will be an issue for GA if Bowers and McConkey dont play. Beck has spread the ball out consistently to over 10 guys this year though,

It very easily could just be as simple as how well will Milroe play for Bama. This is the first time in a long time Bama has not had a very good QB. He can throw a deep ball and run but other than what would be his combine numbers hes been an issue thats holding that roster back

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad the BIG TEN is getting rid of divisions. Iowa is probably the 5th best team in the conference. Should be Ohio State vs Michigan in a rematch. Just as Washington vs Oregon rematch.

Wont surprise me if Bama wins this game because of Saban. He rarely loses to former assistants.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

The latest from Fox Sports

Georgia vs. Alabama Prediction
    Pick ATS: Alabama (+5.5)
    Pick OU: Under (54.5)
    Prediction: Georgia 28, Alabama 25

Went to see my surgeon yesterday about an upcoming procedure...he is a dyed-in-the-wool GA fanatic. We chatted briefly about the game and he said "Alabama is the team I'm most concerned about". This game is everything to Bama and only bragging rights to GA.

If I had a bookie or was in Vegas, I couldn't resist taking the 5.5, the Under and Bama. Even a field goal puts you in a two score position. Murphy's Law..."anything that can go wrong, will go wrong".

Chance favors the prepared mind Luis Pasteur

Let the games begin!!

• Options

Its much more than just bragging rights for GA. While it shouldnt be the case there is no guarantee and even likely they wouldnt get into the playoffs with this committee if they lose. This committee has consistently all year long minimally punished B!G and PAC 2 teams for loses, while not rewarding Bama and Texas for wins despite have harder schedules

• Options

@stevek said:

@Alfonz24 said:

"Atlanta has hosted the SEC championship game every year since 1994, with Saturday's Alabama-Georgia matchup being the 30th."

The books had Alabama listed as the home team. I didn't realize this about the SEC championship game. As I've said before, in college football, I really only follow Penn State.

This of course changes things as others here have noted. Yes you're right, Georgia is technically the home team. Still though, Alabama is the underdog, but them winning would only be a mild upset.

I've got no skin in the game, so good luck to both teams.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Its much more than just bragging rights for GA. While it shouldnt be the case there is no guarantee and even likely they wouldnt get into the playoffs with this committee if they lose. This committee has consistently all year long minimally punished B!G and PAC 2 teams for loses, while not rewarding Bama and Texas for wins despite have harder schedules

As I reviewed the past articles I've read, you are correct. GA's loss today does not eliminate them from the playoffs, just clouds the path. I think they'll need some help from maybe another underdog team to beat a higher ranked opponent. OTOH, Bama does indeed need to win today, or they are done. Of course if the Dawgs win, they're in the Sugar Bowl.

I don't agree that beating GA today "would only be a mild upset". Given the ramifications, I'd call it a major upset.
    In this neck of the woods, today's game and the result is a REALLY, REALLY BIG, BIG DEAL! This is the local Michigan/OSU game.

Enjoy the game.

• Options

Alabama has a 7-0 record at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I'm so nervous.
    I've already chopped a cord of wood, slopped the cows, milked the chickens and fed the pigs.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2023 8:15AM

My only debate with this game is where I'm going to watch it. Local watering hole with friends or home with the sick wife. Was looking at tix with my brother but the weather nixed any tailgate plans that would have been a factor.

• Options
    edited December 2, 2023 1:00PM

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Basebal21 said:

As I reviewed the past articles I've read, you are correct. GA's loss today does not eliminate them from the playoffs, just clouds the path. I think they'll need some help from maybe another underdog team to beat a higher ranked opponent. OTOH, Bama does indeed need to win today, or they are done. Of course if the Dawgs win, they're in the Sugar Bowl.

I don't agree that beating GA today "would only be a mild upset". Given the ramifications, I'd call it a major upset.
    In this neck of the woods, today's game and the result is a REALLY, REALLY BIG, BIG DEAL! This is the local Michigan/OSU game.

Enjoy the game.

In terms of who is better Bama beating GA would only be a mild upset. Other than QB and TE Bama can match them at basically every position.

Bama winning more than clouds the picture with this committee it makes absolute chaos. They tried to position it so they could put OSU in the playoffs by putting them at 6 after a loss and leaving Texas and Bama at 7 and 8 where they have been every single week of the rankings despite more ranked wins

Theyre legitimately trying theyre hardest to keep the SEC out. If Bama beat GA they should both be in but they wont, and I'm not even convinced they would even put Bama in so I hope GA just goes ahead and wins. It would be a illegitimate playoffs that no one should watch is a 1 loss GA and/or Bama is left out

Washington is already in. If Michigan and FSU win that would leave one spot and if Bama beats GA they either have to keep GA in or they say well Texas beat Bama so theyre in instead. Theyve backed themselves into a corner and now we have the potential for the entire season to become and asterisk because of it

I have as much faith in this committee to do the right right as I do in a submarine with a sliding glass door.

• Options

Watching the pregame show, it's got a Super Bowl type feeling to it. Let's get it on!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is a ton of action taking place

i've seen the line go from 5.5 to 6.5 to 4.5 to 5..........hopping around like a mexican jumping bean

suffice to say there are going to be an exorbitant number of eyeballs on this game

idk if i trust Milroe, but if he plays well Bama can easily win

as an aside, how can you take the big 10 seriously when Michigan is playing Iowa in the champ game. that's like watching the Chiefs against the Panthers in the Super Bowl. what a joke that conference is. two good teams, one team that pretends to be good, and the rest suck.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    there is a ton of action taking place

i've seen the line go from 5.5 to 6.5 to 4.5 to 5..........hopping around like a mexican jumping bean

suffice to say there are going to be an exorbitant number of eyeballs on this game

idk if i trust Milroe, but if he plays well Bama can easily win

as an aside, how can you take the big 10 seriously when Michigan is playing Iowa in the champ game. that's like watching the Chiefs against the Panthers in the Super Bowl. what a joke that conference is. two good teams, one team that pretends to be good, and the rest suck.

• Options
  • Options

Georgia 34
    Alabama 21

I just don't see any reason why Georgia shouldn't win this game, this is not the Alabama team we are used to seeing being dominant

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Georgia 34
    Alabama 21

I just don't see any reason why Georgia shouldn't win this game, this is not the Alabama team we are used to seeing being dominant

Wow! Tide 17-7 at half. Georgia hasn't done much after their first possession. Half time adjustments?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@perkdog said:
    Georgia 34
    Alabama 21

Wow! Tide 17-7 at half. Georgia hasn't done much after their first possession. Half time adjustments?

Well so far I'm straight up wrong lol

I think Georgia can still win obviously but definitely not dominating like I thought

• Options

Georgia plays better in the second half, but Bama absolutely matches them other than QB and TE room. Bama even has more 5 stars. QB play was Bamas issue early and is at times since Milroe is more of a runner but Bama was ranked far to low coming into this game.

• Options

That 5.5 is looking pretty good. A lock at 25.5 to 10 beginning the 4th qtr
    Bama 20-10

• Options

Never say never but Tide up 27-17 with 5:40

• Options

If Bama holds on, every Bama fan in the country will be the biggest Louisville fan on the planet lol.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

That was fast - Tide 27-24 2:50

• Options

Congrats to MCMLVTopps on the win and a very confident pick.

• Options

Heck of a win for Alabama, congrats @MCMLVTopps!

• Options

Georgia with that long winning streak couldnt win the game that mattered.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

• Options

• Options

@stevek said:
    Congrats to MCMLVTopps on the win and a very confident pick.

Tks, just a lucky guess really. Could have gone either way, but I really felt Bama wanted it more. Had I been in Vegas or had a bookie, I would have put $500 on Bama, taken the under for another $500, and enjoyed the event even more.

Tough thing about sports, gotta have a winner and a loser, 2nd place gets no roses.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Heck of a win for Alabama, congrats @MCMLVTopps!

Tks, as mentioned above, it just seemed to me that Bama had the edge going in.