Home Sports Talk
Options

Frank Reich fired

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

not too surprising at 1-10 I suppose

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

admittedly i haven't seen a lot of Panthers action this season, but i did make the curious decision to watch Carolina-Chicago

in that game Bryce Young looked like he was utterly lost in the wilderness, and by all accounts that's how his entire season has played out

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should have fired him weeks ago

• Options

In other NFL news...

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have read where there is an ongoing investigation as to how the Panthers won that one game.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

The owner forced the coaching staff to pick Young. Reich wanted Stroud. So he inherited Young, #1 65 years old Adam Thielen and 66 years old Myles Sanders and he’s supposed to be successful? I’d say it obviously not all Frank Reich.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

In all seriousness, Bryce Young has showed some promise this season, but he's also made a lot of mistakes, hopefully he can learn to correct those mistakes, he's a good kid. I have nothing but respect for Frank Reich, he took his firing with class, and he was out first quarterback ever, so I'll always be fond of him. We have a lot of issues this season, the talent on our roster sucks, we have a horrible offensive line, and the owner sticks his nose where it doesn't belong. I have to have hope, so I try to look on the bright side of things, but I have to admit, it's hard being a Panthers fan. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Cam Newton, at least he was entertaining.

• Options

--- Carolina fires the HC, and he isn't really to blame.
    --- Buffalo and Pittsburgh each fire their OC, and they really aren't to blame.

Most sports aficionados know that mid-season firings are generally to hang out someone as the "scapegoat" in order to gain control of the team and shift focus from the real problem. They satisfy fans who want someone's head to roll and give pause to the players. Carolina wasted their first round pick and mortgaged their future at the same time. I watched that game like @galaxy27 and found it interesting that Chicago helped their Draft Pick by beating the Panthers with two ex-Carolina players starting.

• Options

I just noticed this: Panthers fire QBs coach McCown, RBs coach Staley.

Don't know if it's accurate but if it is the owner is cleaning house.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    --- Carolina fires the HC, and he isn't really to blame.
    --- Buffalo and Pittsburgh each fire their OC, and they really aren't to blame.

Most sports aficionados know that mid-season firings are generally to hang out someone as the "scapegoat" in order to gain control of the team and shift focus from the real problem. They satisfy fans who want someone's head to roll and give pause to the players. Carolina wasted their first round pick and mortgaged their future at the same time. I watched that game like @galaxy27 and found it interesting that Chicago helped their Draft Pick by beating the Panthers with two ex-Carolina players starting.

They didn't really mortgage their future, they will probably have the first round pick next draft again lol

• Options
    edited November 27, 2023 7:02PM

@perkdog said: They didn't really mortgage their future, they will probably have the first round pick next draft again

Carolina traded Chicago their 1st round pick in 2024 and 2nd round pick in 2025, so yeah, they mortaged their future somewhat.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    @perkdog said: They didn't really mortgage their future, they will probably have the first round pick next draft again

Carolina traded Chicago their 1st round pick in 2024 and 2nd round pick in 2025, so yeah, they mortaged their future somewhat.

Holy crap I didn't know that lol

I stand corrected, wow

• Options

"Last offseason, the Panthers traded their 2024 first-round pick in order to move up in the 2023 draft and take Bryce Young at No. 1."

"Bryce Young signed a 4 year, $37,955,071 contract with the Carolina Panthers, including a $24,603,688 signing bonus, $37,955,071 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $9,488,768."

"the average height of a starting quarterback in the league is 6'3"."

"Bryce Young
    5-10, 204lb"

All that for a 5' 10" quarterback? I'm not saying a 5' 10' QB couldn't possibly succeed in the NFL. However that is a very risky proposition based on the percentages. To give-up all that, and pay all that, for the #1 pick in the draft, sure seems to me like a very bad idea.

Maybe they could fit Bryce with some high platform athletic shoes, to add at least five inches to his height, so he can see over the linemen and find a receiver? 🤔

• Options

Stupid and incompetent strikes again lol

• Options

@stevek said:
    "Last offseason, the Panthers traded their 2024 first-round pick in order to move up in the 2023 draft and take Bryce Young at No. 1."

"Bryce Young signed a 4 year, $37,955,071 contract with the Carolina Panthers, including a $24,603,688 signing bonus, $37,955,071 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $9,488,768."

"the average height of a starting quarterback in the league is 6'3"."

"Bryce Young
    5-10, 204lb"

All that for a 5' 10" quarterback? I'm not saying a 5' 10' QB couldn't possibly succeed in the NFL. However that is a very risky proposition based on the percentages. To give-up all that, and pay all that, for the #1 pick in the draft, sure seems to me like a very bad idea.

Maybe they could fit Bryce with some high platform athletic shoes, to add at least five inches to his height, so he can see over the linemen and find a receiver? 🤔

I originally wanted CJ Stroud, I'm not a fan of smaller sized quarterbacks myself, but our owner David Tepper forced us to pick Bryce Young and everyone fell in line because they didn't want to piss off our almighty billionaire owner, he's a bald Jerry Jones.

• Options

I miss Newton.

• Options

"Scouting report
    Bryce Young is a short, spindly framed passer with a rapid release. He is patient in the pocket and a sudden athlete, allowing him to bounce away from pressure regularly. Creativity as an athlete is borderline elite, although he won't run away from many defenders in the NFL."

It gets more stupid and incompetent the more ya look at it.

I mean what the yell was the Panther's owner thinking? I guess he must have thought there were a lot of "short, spindly" quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame? Fran Tarkenton comes to mind, but at least he was 6' tall. Plus the game has changed since Tarkenton was in the league.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    "Scouting report
    Bryce Young is a short, spindly framed passer with a rapid release. He is patient in the pocket and a sudden athlete, allowing him to bounce away from pressure regularly. Creativity as an athlete is borderline elite, although he won't run away from many defenders in the NFL."

It gets more stupid and incompetent the more ya look at it.

I mean what the yell was the Panther's owner thinking? I guess he must have thought there were a lot of "short, spindly" quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame? Fran Tarkenton comes to mind, but at least he was 6' tall. Plus the game has changed since Tarkenton was in the league.

Owners as GM’s are like defendants who defend themselves. Fools

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

I heard a great quote this morning about Tepper..................he was grouped in with others like Haslam and Snyder and referred to as "Billionaire Owners playing fantasy football."