Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Worn Yet Eye Catching Coin - 1840, Rev of 1839 Half

CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's coin in VF condition that really floats my boat. I like to collect this series in AU, but there are coins at all grading levels that can be just as compelling while also not being terribly expensive. This coin is such an example (VF35 CAC, WB-10):

I really enjoy seeing the various color tones and seeing the doubled 8 in the date.

If you have a lower graded coin that you find especially compelling (with or without toning). show us and tell us why you find it interesting! :)

P.S. - big kudo to @robec who is my go-to photographer. Special talent and all around nice guy!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2023 10:20AM

I’ll raise you a couple of worn early halves

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great looking coin! I’d gladly take that over most higher grade examples that are likely to be encountered.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like those early seated halves with the small date and small letters, and your example is primo, @Catbert!

Since you asked for our examples, this lower grade Bust quarter supplanted another one in higher grade in my 7070:

Though I like the old one enough that I’ve held onto it - it just doesn’t get to be in the showcase album anymore:

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file