Home Sports Talk
Options

GO Blue 30-24 Great win

JWPJWP Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 25, 2023 1:52PM in Sports Talk

As you might tell, I'm a Wolverine Fan. Post your thoughts on this greate game today.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Comments

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2023 2:01PM

Maybe they can finally win a bowl game for a change.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a great game, it was disappointing that Harbaugh wasn't there on the sidelines though.

No excuses, Michigan needs to win the National Championship though

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a great win!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big win for Michigan.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭✭

Th big question is how much longer until Ryan Day gets fired. Hes basically James Franklin with more talent at this point.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Th big question is how much longer until Ryan Day gets fired. Hes basically James Franklin with more talent at this point.

Losing to Michigan three times in a row should speed up whatever process is going

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Losing to Michigan three times in a row should speed up whatever process is going

It really is impressive how OSU keeps losing over and over when they have the most talented roster. Its even more impressive that there isnt a good QB in the conference and OSU is the only team that has good WRs and they still lose

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

No doubt. But the game really was no surprise. Michigan was favored. Harbaugh has built a great team in the last 3 yrs. Three straight playoff appearances.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Claiming OSU is the best team in the country and then spinning zoning it that they were expected to lose is just really runny to me

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to Michigan. They were clearly the better team. It was a good hard-fought game. I won't say "Wait until next year." I'll say, " Wait until our next coach."

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited November 25, 2023 8:06PM

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

It really is impressive how OSU keeps losing over and over when they have the most talented roster. Its even more impressive that there isnt a good QB in the conference and OSU is the only team that has good WRs and they still lose

I think JJ McCarthy is the better QB out of the two teams, OSU clearly has the best WR's but Michigan overall is the better team in my opinion.

I thought it was a good game. Michigan hard rushing attack put the game away for them in the 4th quarter which it did the last two times these teams played

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all boiled down to the play of the QB's - McCord sucked and McCarthy didn't!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

I think JJ McCarthy is the better QB out of the two teams, OSU clearly has the best WR's but Michigan overall is the better team in my opinion.

I thought it was a good game. Michigan hard rushing attack put the game away for them in the 4th quarter which it did the last two times these teams played

JJ is below average, McCord is mediocre at best even with all the weapons around him.Theres just not a good QB in the B!G this year and none are even close.

OSU has the better roster and out recruited Michigan for years but still loses, Im not an OSU fan or anything but at some point they should be winning with the better roster. 3 loses in a row with soft defenses is bad

• Options

Michigan will probably jump Georgia and overtake the #1 spot this Tuesday.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

Only to endure a severe beat down in the weeks ahead.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it true that the Michigan team gave a game ball to McCord...that seems a little mean to me....is that true?

• Options

@coolstanley said:

If they do, then the committee has as many brain cells as some posters on this forum.

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

If they do, then the committee has as many brain cells as some posters on this forum.

Have you seen whose on the committee at the moment? 1/3rd of it are B!G people including the Michigan AD, 1/3rd probably dont watch any college football or very minimal and theres multiple that arent even affiliated with Power 4 conferences who are worried about their own programs and not watching teams they know they will never play

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

Nah I think Ohio State can compete with anyone. They were the only team to beat ND on their field. The committee has had the Buckeyes either #1 or #2. So Michigan by far according to the committee Michigan has the best win of the year.
    Georgia almost lost to Auburn who got clobbered by New Mexico State.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

Nah I think Ohio State can compete with anyone. They were the only team to beat ND on their field.

Louisville beat ND 33-20 this year.
    Louisville beat them at home.
    Louisville’s only loss at home this year was to Kentucky.
    Louisville is ranked ahead of ND.

What does that tell you ?

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

Nah I think Ohio State can compete with anyone. They were the only team to beat ND on their field.

Doesn't tell me a thing. Kentucky game is a rivalry game. And Kentucky barely won.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

. And Kentucky barely won.

And Ohio State didn’t at ND ?

Just a rivalry game ?
    How about Louisville with a win over Kentucky and FSU has an outside shot at a playoff berth.

Cmon man. Louisville was playing for possible history, got beat at home by a team Georgia destroyed.

Louisville crushed ND.
    ND gave OSU a gift win.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

The committee has had the Buckeyes either #1 or #2. So Michigan by far according to the committee Michigan has the best win of the year.
    Georgia almost lost to Auburn who got clobbered by New Mexico State.

You’re comparing a 3 point HOME win for Michigan to a 7 point ROAD win for Georgia.

Do you see why people don’t take you seriously on this board ?

Ohio State’s gift wrapped win at ND has been proven to be worthless.
    Louisville crushed ND.
    Louisville couldn’t handle Kentucky at home with a playoff possibility in reach. Georgia has the best wins this year over Ole Miss and Kentucky. Kentucky crushed Louisville better then OSU beat ND.
    Louisville crushed ND.

Sorry. Facts are facts.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2023 3:04AM

Ohio State scored 24, 20, and 17 against Michigan, PSU, and ND.

Your offense is mediocre.
    They can not compete with Georgia this year. Georgia’s offense is loaded with upper class men who when healthy can hang 49 on Michigan. Your offense could never do that.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2023 3:13AM

Not sure what your point is here? I doubt Louisville could beat ND at ND. But we will never know. Louisville lost because of turnovers. Same way Ohio State lost to Michigan. Louisville outgained Kentucky 403 - 289.

New mexico state beat Auburn by 21 points. Alabama beat Auburn by a last second fluke play and Georgia barely beat Auburn. Does that mean New Mexico state is better than Alabama and Georgia?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited November 27, 2023 3:22AM

@Applejacks said:

They can not compete with Georgia this year. .

That's what ya'll said last year yet if we made the field goal, Ohio State wins. Ohio State outgained Michigan and Georgia isnt as good as they were last year. Ohio State scored 24 points on a team that was giving up 9 points a game average.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Louisville outgained Kentucky 403 - 289.

And Northwestern outgained Ohio State last year and lost.
    Not sure what your point is.

Kentucky played great defense forcing those turnovers.
    I’m sure you didn’t watch the game.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

Georgia isnt as good as they were last year.

😂

• Options
    edited November 27, 2023 3:27AM

How much did TCU hang on Michigan last year in the bowl ?

How much did you hang on Michigan, at home last year ?

Why do you bring up last year in a 2023 college football thread ?
    Cmon man.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2023 3:29AM

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

\

That's exactly what bullsitter said after the northwestern game. I knew that he was one of your alts :D

Northwestern outgained OSU by 2 yards. Not really anything to brag about.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

\

That's exactly what bullsitter said after the northwestern game. I knew that he was one of your alts :D

You’re right. I’m bullsitter.
    😂

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@Applejacks said:

@coolstanley said:

\

Don't get me started, I'm trying real hard to be nice..... B)

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sucks that Ohio State lost but they were outplayed by a team that most people thought was better. The take-away for me is the same that it's been for quite some time, that the entire season is measured on one game, this game. An entire season's body of work means little because you lost this game.

And even saying that, the game really came down to the last drive. Ohio State had the opportunity to win. To finish a season 11-1 shouldn't be a disgrace but that's the measuring stick we use.

• Options

@Maywood said:

>
    An entire season's body of work means little because you lost this game.

Don’t worry.
    MeChicken will feel the same way in a few weeks. You’ll have company to share the grief. ❤️

• Options

@Maywood said:
    It sucks that Ohio State lost but they were outplayed by a team that most people thought was better. The take-away for me is the same that it's been for quite some time, that the entire season is measured on one game, this game. An entire season's body of work means little because you lost this game.

And even saying that, the game really came down to the last drive. Ohio State had the opportunity to win. To finish a season 11-1 shouldn't be a disgrace but that's the measuring stick we use.

Yup. At the beginning of the year the ESPN predictor had Ohio State finishing at 11-1. I also thought they would lose 1 or two games. After losing Stroud, I didn't think they would go 12-0. Right now they still have a 52% chance of backing into the playoffs.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Cool wood is a piece of work.
    There’s no other place like this forum. 😂

• Options

Carson Beck is what some OSU fans pretend Kyle McCord is. The closest thing the B!G had to a good QB this year was Aller and thats not saying a lot. OSU was the only team with good WRs and McCord was still below average. McCarthy is bad and Michigan knows it which is why they havent let him throw the ball for 3 games. Michigan also had by far the softest schedule in the country for a major conference team thats going to their conference championship.

Its not even close the majority of the best QBS and WRs are below the mason dixon line. The B!G was simply a bad conference this year that consisted of three teams. Franklin cant beat a top 10 team, Day is 1-6 against top 5 teams and Iowa might as well be wearing leather helmets with squared off shows

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

1-6 against top 5 teams? Ryan Day is the second coming of James Franklin. Only slightly better than Franklin because he CAN beat Franklin.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Day should without question be on the hot seat at this point. Hes probably not, but he should be. Days already lost more games against Michigan than they did in the previous 18 years before him. OSU hasnt lost back to back games against Michigan since 2000 and now Day has lost three in a row

• Options
    edited November 27, 2023 9:38AM

I don't recall anyone comparing McCord to Beck, maybe they did and I just missed it, but if you actually compare their 2023 stats they are quite close.

Comp--Att-----%--------Yds----Avg -----TD----Int---Long-----Rtg
    229-----348--65.8-----3,170----9.1------24-----6-----75------161.6 --- Kyle McCord
    268-----370--72.4-----3,495----9.4------22-----6-----55------168.2 --- Carson Beck

• Options

The Big ten hater or haters keep ripping the Big ten, although in recent yrs they have held their own during the bowl season. Iowa held Kentucky to 185 total yards in a 21 -0 rout.

Final
    1 2 3 4 T
    IOWA 0 21 0 0 21
    UK 0 0 0 0 0
    Kentucky

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Maywood said:

Disgrace? I don't think so, Ohio State is a good team as is Michigan, it's literally the most impossible game for both schools. There can only be one winner.

I "Like" Michigan, Ohio State is irrelevant to me but looking at it from a non big time fan is it was a great game but Michigan was the better team.

11-1 will never be considered disgraceful, losing to Michigan or Ohio State might be disgraceful by the losing teams fan base but not by football fans in general

• Options

@perkdog, you just don't understand the rivalry.

• Options

McCord and Beck dont really have similar stats other than on paper

McCord got a third of his stats against Youngtown State, Western Kentucky and Michigan State.

Beck has performed in every game against better competition even with Bowers and McConkey missing numerous games. Hes spread the ball out all over the place and is significantly better

It is funny though for someone to bring up last years bowl games which disproves their own argument. As mentioned before Kentucky had no QB. Their stud LT and RB opted out, Levis opted out, Leary declared his was transferring there and their backup opted out. Kentucky played with an emergency QB

But the SEC was 3-1 against the B!G.
    Leach unfortunately died soon before the game and Mississippi State beat Illinois
    George beat OSU
    LSU playing the B!G west champion beat Perdue by almost 60

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    McCord and Beck dont really have similar stats other than on paper

McCord got a third of his stats against Youngtown State, Western Kentucky and Michigan State.

Beck has performed in every game against better competition even with Bowers and McConkey missing numerous games. Hes spread the ball out all over the place and is significantly better

It is funny though for someone to bring up last years bowl games which disproves their own argument. As mentioned before Kentucky had no QB. Their stud LT and RB opted out, Levis opted out, Leary declared his was transferring there and their backup opted out. Kentucky played with an emergency QB

But the SEC was 3-1 against the B!G.
    Leach unfortunately died soon before the game and Mississippi State beat Illinois
    George beat OSU
    LSU playing the B!G west champion beat Perdue by almost 60

Bringing up last year is ridiculous.
    Bringing up a “trend” like Michigan 4-14 in bowl games the last 18 years is worthwhile.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2023 8:39AM

@Maywood said:
    @perkdog, you just don't understand the rivalry.

I understand it 100%

I'm not a fan of either team so as a football "Fan" to me Ohio State at 11-1 and losing to Michigan is not disgraceful but to Ohio State fans it is, sane think if it was Michigan that we were talking about.

Pretty simple to understand and believe me not everyone cares about Ohio State or Michigan for that matter and didn't care who won

Same thing with Auburn/Alabama,
    Oklahoma/Texas ect..

• Options

Saying OSU played with Georgia last year, while true, can’t be compared to this year.

OSU played with Michigan this year, but was blown out last year.

Comparing year to year is frivolous.

Georgia is much better this year, but has injuries now to deal with.
    Still think Smart is bluffing but who knows.

• Options

@Applejacks said:
    Saying OSU played with Georgia last year, while true, can’t be compared to this year.

I dontr think Smart is bluffing, but I do think that he decided to hold some guys out and risk it against GT with more emphasis on being healthy for Bama and winning the SEC

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

I dontr think Smart is bluffing, but I do think that he decided to hold some guys out and risk it against GT with more emphasis on being healthy for Bama and winning the SEC

I agree. OSU could have the best receiver, but no team has a better, more experienced group of receivers and backs then Georgia. That’s why their QB is so effective. He has so many weapons.

• Options

@Applejacks said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Applejacks said:

I agree. OSU could have the best receiver, but no team has a better, more experienced group of receivers and backs then Georgia. That’s why their QB is so effective. He has so many weapons.

LSU has the two best WRs with Nabers and Thomas, Harrison will probably be drafted the highest from OSU.

Beck has elevated a bunch of that receiving core though. Bowers and McConkey have played a combined 15 with a bunch of guys McConkey might have a bad back, but with Bowers, Rara, the lineman I would be surprised if we dont see several of them playing. Some did dress for the GT game and they just chose not to play them.