Home Sports Talk
Options

What sports did you play in jr high or high school?

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 23, 2023 5:38PM in Sports Talk

Me - Tennis, baseball, track, basketball

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

A whole lot of baseball in my youth! Starting in Khoury Leagues at age 8. Then baseball all 4 years of high school then American Legion for a couple years after high school. I wish I was more focused as my mom would tell me years later how I wasn't, I was pretty darn good. But life happened, got married young at 21 and had my son and daughter soon after. Had to give up the ball for real work that paid the bills. But no regrets, I started playing in competitive men's softball leagues in my late 20's till my early 40's. Played one season of football in high school, I was very fast and was used mostly as a gunner on kickoffs. I also ran cross country in high school.

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:
    little league baseball 77 -81
    grammar school football 78-83
    Wolfe Park floor hockey 78-81

high school wrestling #119

my wrestling warm up sweatshirt

Hey Groce, are you the giver or receiver of that headlock? lol Great pics brother!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2023 5:26AM

I guess I should caption.
    Top pick, 3rd row on the right end. Circa 1983. Town champions, 1983,84,85
    Same team not pictured Buffalo City champions 1984, 85

Elwood Fire dept, Town Champions 1967
    2nd row 5 from the right

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

Hey Groce, are you the giver or receiver of that headlock?

hey Landry…

I was the Dominating Top dude there in the pic, going with a cross-face and grasping his femoral…

in the beginning of the 3rd period there was a referee’s time out - - which happened seconds after I dislocated my opponents shoulder…a few days later our #185 guy broke his opponents arm, our #145 guy literally beat the piss out of his opponent; his opponent was all bloody.

Our wrestling team was very much like the old school Oakland Raiders…just mean and nasty…

And then our team got Cocky, Really Cocky… I mean we thought that we were unstoppable…And Yes We Got Beat Up Bad !!!

I’d be out there for less than 90 seconds getting my Ass Beat, getting pinned and just looking up at those lights in the rafters…

Still to this day I can not watch the movie Vision Quest without shedding tears…
    :)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

baseball and basketball for me.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoops.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2023 9:21AM

1971....#81....DE/TE

Here's another, #21 was our waterboy/manager.
    Coach let him wear a uniform for the photo and he shoots a double-peace sign..... B)

• Options

Marshall, Texas Captains.
    State Champions 1988, 1989
    All State 1988, 1990
    State MVP 1989

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@perkdog said:

hey perkdog,

I'm totally with ya on: the coaches favorites would all play ahead of me.

that's how it was for me in little league baseball in 81...then again it could have been my fault trying to run the team like: Yogi Berra and or Billy Martin and or Sparky Anderson...

There was a time at grammar school football practice and the play was an inside 44 which I was the right half and supposed to run like a dive play to my right and I seen a different opening to my left and ran for about 12-14 yards...I did get yelled at by Mr. Chipetta by not running the assigned play...

Yes I do miss playing grammar school football... :)

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    My baseball stint lasted 2 years of Little League, I played for Jenkins Brick and we played Turner Electric one night.
    They had a pitcher named Terry Leach that had a wicked sidearm pitch. I struck out 3 times and after the game I was sulking and my Dad said that he was proud of me, and I ask why. He said you're the only one who didn't back away from his pitches.
    I said I was too scared to move.

Terry played for Auburn and then MLB, World Champion with the Twins When he threw that sidearm it looked like a missile coming right at you.

Cool story @Bullsitter!

• Options

High school baseball on our team we had Gary Lumley drafted by the Royals and played against Niagara Falls who had Rick Manning who played MLB.
    My senior year my average was .585 19 homers and 81 RBIs. Played 4 years and as the plaque above states inducted into my high school sports HOF in 1994.
    My father made me quit every other sport fearing an injury to my baseball career. So football, skiing etc was out after I was 14.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2023 7:07PM

When I played high school basketball (1971-1972, 1972,1973 and 1973-1974) my team played against another league team that had multiple players that went on to play D-1 and pro hoops.

One of the players on the opposing team was Michael Ray Richardson (aka "Sugar Ray" Richardson). In our senior year in high school he was 6'3" tall and played the the #2 spot. The players who play #3, #4 and #5 were 6'7", 6'7" and 6'8". During the state basketball playoffs Sugar Ray lead all teams in the playoffs in rebounding.

He was not heavily recruited out of high school and ended up playing at Montana in the Big Sky Conference for Jud Heathcoat (before he left to coach at Michigan State, wining the 1979 NCAA Title with Magic Johnson). While at Montana Sugar Ray grew to 6'5" and became an All American.

He was picked #4 in the 1978 NBA draft by the Knicks. He would have had a long HOF career in the NBA, had it not been for his drug addiction problem. In 1985 or 1986 David Stern kicked him out of the league.

After being banned from the NBA Sugar Ray played pro ball overseas until he was 44 or 45 years old.

Playing against Sugar Ray in high school was fun. Even then he stood out among his peers.

• Options

Has anyone played pee wee baseball? I still have my team photo from 1977.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basketball and Baseball in Jr High and High School. But the best time I ever had was when I started riding dirt bikes at a local motorcycle club - CR 125/250

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Has anyone played pee wee baseball? I still have my team photo from 1977.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

East is least. West is best. 😉

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@ajaan said:

@2dueces said:

East is least. West is best. 😉

lol. My brother went to West and still reminds me we never could beat them.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

started playing soccer at a young age and that lasted about a decade. this is circa 1977. i think a bird might have built a nest on my head?

also little league baseball, biddy basketball and golf growing up, then got to middle school and played football, basketball, golf, ran track

got to high school and wanted to play both baseball and golf, but the latter was my true love and it was year-round, so i opted for it.

in HS i played golf against a guy who went to another school in my hometown. he was 100% destined for stardom. i was decent, but this guy was ridiculous. best short game i had ever seen -- dude could get up and down out of a trash can. he ended up winning state individually 3 years in a row, played collegiately at golf powerhouse Oklahoma St where he won a national championship, and was an All-American to boot. after he graduated he went to Q-school to get his tour card and one of the most unfortunate stories in the history of sports happened. John Feinstein even wrote about it in one of his golf books. i included a link to a short article that documents his travails. but infinitely sadder was what happened to him off the course -- he lost a child to a car crash back in 2011, then he himself passed away just a couple of years ago.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jaxon-brigman-dies

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2023 11:13AM

I played basketball and when I wasn't playing basketball, I was playing more basketball. 😉
    I played JV then Varsity while in HS then I played in about 15 different adult mens leagues throughout the years as I got older until stopping entirely when I reached the age of 41-42. At that point, my knees & ankles gave me an ultimatum,its either work or basketball but not both lol.

I did play one season in a 12-16yr old baseball league and was absolutely horrible at the plate. Although in my final at-bat of the season I just missed becoming only the 3rd player in the entire league to hit a homerun. It was just a few inches short of the top of the outfield wall. that was my Uncle Rico moment from back in the day. 😎

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Little League baseball, age 9-15: Great time, made 4 All Star teams, hit 3 dingers. lol.
    As a kid, there were always pick up baseball and football games in the park near my house. Fun times.
    High School baseball: Sat on bench for 3 years, miserable experience.

After high school, it was traveling softball teams and a few years in an "over 30" baseball league. Dabbled in a few bowling leagues as well.

Hung up the cleats at age 50 to do some coaching in a youth rec league.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

I was a superstar on the joint rolling team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zrBwId36OQ

• Options

@Chicago1976 said:
    Little League baseball, age 9-15: Great time, made 4 All Star teams, hit 3 dingers. lol.
    As a kid, there were always pick up baseball and football games in the park near my house. Fun times.

After high school, it was traveling softball teams and a few years in an "over 30" baseball league. Dabbled in a few bowling leagues as well.

Also did the traveling softball circuit with Steele Sporting Goods out of Ohio and Plant 6 from Buffalo. Any chance you remember Steele?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

the best player i ever played against was in high school. Matt Kinney pitched 5 or 6 years in MLB. at least a few for the twins. I faced him when he was a senior. My goodness. I was a Mo Vaughn type player. All hit, little field. Played 1b. I had faced guys who threw 90-91 before. its fast, but is hittable. most HSers in my area that threw that hard threw with little movement, and if you really got into one you could launch it.

Kinney was a different type of animal. At that time, our coach was clocking him at 93-94, which is pretty fast for HS, but what was different was the movement. my goodness. the ball just took off. He also threw a really heavy ball. I can still remember how it felt off the bat. then he would send in his hook, and us HS guys were way overmatched. I considered it a big victory that I flew out every AB against him and did not strike out.

That day was when my dreams of ever playing MLB died. Before then, I thought I was a really good hitter and very confident. But, I figured if a MLB scouted HS pitcher was that good, there was just no way I could ever match up with a professional pitcher. they are in a different league. literally.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@Chicago1976 said:

Also did the traveling softball circuit with Steele Sporting Goods out of Ohio and Plant 6 from Buffalo. Any chance you remember Steele?

I recall the name, very highly ranked if I recall, but did not play them. My team was more of the "C" or "D" class..lol

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of all the time spent on sports, I should have learned to play the guitar and became a rock star.

Plus usually rock stars don't get career ending injuries. 🤔

• Options
    edited November 29, 2023 10:28AM

@Chicago1976 said:

@2dueces said:

@Chicago1976 said:

I recall the name, very highly ranked if I recall, but did not play them. My team was more of the "C" or "D" class..lol

Yeah. Class AAA. They had a few ex NFL linemen and really good ball players selling bats, gloves and balls at shows too.
    Stupid long home runs.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2023 10:33AM

The man the myth the legend of all high school sports let's rise folks for Polk High superstar Al Bundy:

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

Bundy was good, no doubt. But the greatest HS quarterback of all time was clearly uncle Rico.
    Rumor has it he could throw a ball over mountains!

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Bundy was good, no doubt. But the greatest HS quarterback of all time was clearly uncle Rico.

Yeah but did he sell women's shoes hahaha!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@stevek said:

>

Not really true. They go deaf or suffer from dementia. Many passed away at young ages.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@stevek said:

>

Not really true. They go deaf or suffer from dementia. Many passed away at young ages.

Yes, I've seen the videos of young girls rushing the stage during a concert to hug a rock star. That collision could result in a career ending injury to the singer. 😉

• Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@craig44 said:

Yeah but did he sell women's shoes hahaha!!!

that is true, but only during the off-season!

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@galaxy27 said:

@bronco2078 said:

I was a superstar on the joint rolling team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zrBwId36OQ

Love that movie! Brings back memories of better times gone by! And the vehicles were kick butt too! Alright Alright Alright!!