Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

New Cherrypickers varieties: When will PCGS add them to the Registry sets?

The new Cherrypickers guide came out earlier this summer. When will PCGS add them to the required composition lists for Variety sets? I don't recall how long it took the last time a new CPG came out? Anyone recall how long it took the last time? The new CPG has half dimes thru quarters varieties. I heard a new half dollar thru Dollars CPG is anticipated in 2024 btw. PCGS grades and attributes the new varieties but has done nothing with them as far as the Registry is concerned.

Comments

  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

    they are designating them now (with variety attribution fee)?

  • NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well not sure when they are added to the registry set, but I know for Washington Quarters they are starting to show up in Coinfacts. If you go to the date of the coin in Coinfacts, they have a link for Related coins and varieties. They list the new variety there.

    Here is a link to the new 1940-D FS-502

    https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1940-d-25c-fs-502-repunched-mintmark/929366

  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭✭

    Nothing yet! Maybe next year. Maybe never! ( crickets chirping)

  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I checked one of the new CPG Mercury Dimes last night and it has a place in Coin Facts. I’m not sure if all of them or just some of them have been added. If they have a place in Coin Facts does that mean we can send our coins in for variety attribution? I’m guessing that getting the coins in Coin Facts is the required step prior to them getting added to registry sets. If we do not have answers prior to Winter FUN then I can inquire when I am there.

    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • DANNYDANNY Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

    I talked to a representative (name withheld for a reason) at the PCGS Registry recently about the new CPG.
    Variety Registry Coin collectors should be MORE CONCERNED with the current varieties that are included in the PCGS Registry that will be DELETED from the required list... Example: a certain Mercury Dime that a current Registry Set participant paid $10K+ for that is being REMOVED as a REQUIRED coin in the Mercury Dime Varieties...

  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DANNY said:
    I talked to a representative (name withheld for a reason) at the PCGS Registry recently about the new CPG.
    Variety Registry Coin collectors should be MORE CONCERNED with the current varieties that are included in the PCGS Registry that will be DELETED from the required list... Example: a certain Mercury Dime that a current Registry Set participant paid $10K+ for that is being REMOVED as a REQUIRED coin in the Mercury Dime Varieties...

    When was this conversation? There were a couple threads on this topic 1-2 months ago in the US Coin Forum. PCGS removed many varieties from complete variety sets without warning. There were many complaints via the forums, social media, phone calls to PCGS and emails to PCGS. PCGS reversed their decision and added the coins back to all the registry sets.

    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • DANNYDANNY Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

    @keyman64 said:

    @DANNY said:
    I talked to a representative (name withheld for a reason) at the PCGS Registry recently about the new CPG.
    Variety Registry Coin collectors should be MORE CONCERNED with the current varieties that are included in the PCGS Registry that will be DELETED from the required list... Example: a certain Mercury Dime that a current Registry Set participant paid $10K+ for that is being REMOVED as a REQUIRED coin in the Mercury Dime Varieties...

    When was this conversation? There were a couple threads on this topic 1-2 months ago in the US Coin Forum. PCGS removed many varieties from complete variety sets without warning. There were many complaints via the forums, social media, phone calls to PCGS and emails to PCGS. PCGS reversed their decision and added the coins back to all the registry sets.

    The conversation took place about 2 months ago. At the time of the conversation, PCGS was actively in the process of removing some Variety Coins from the required list in the Registry. I was told the process would take some time to complete. I am a collector of Roosie Dime Variety Coins. After the conversation, I checked my Roosie Variety Registry Set, and there had already been one coin removed from the Roosie list. However, after a week or so, I noticied that the removed coin had been put back into the Registry, on the "required list." Just another example of "lack of communication" between the powers that be at the PCGS Registry and the Registry Set collectors themselves.

  • NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well to me removing varieties from the registry set would be a bad business decision. If you are trying to promote and attract people to start sets then removing coins is not the way to do it. Why would you accept money from members to attribute varieties only to remove them from the set later. I would not want to participate in a variety registry set if I paid to get coins attributed and later on have them removed and not count in my set.

  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DANNY said:

    @keyman64 said:

    @DANNY said:
    I talked to a representative (name withheld for a reason) at the PCGS Registry recently about the new CPG.
    Variety Registry Coin collectors should be MORE CONCERNED with the current varieties that are included in the PCGS Registry that will be DELETED from the required list... Example: a certain Mercury Dime that a current Registry Set participant paid $10K+ for that is being REMOVED as a REQUIRED coin in the Mercury Dime Varieties...

    When was this conversation? There were a couple threads on this topic 1-2 months ago in the US Coin Forum. PCGS removed many varieties from complete variety sets without warning. There were many complaints via the forums, social media, phone calls to PCGS and emails to PCGS. PCGS reversed their decision and added the coins back to all the registry sets.

    The conversation took place about 2 months ago. At the time of the conversation, PCGS was actively in the process of removing some Variety Coins from the required list in the Registry. I was told the process would take some time to complete. I am a collector of Roosie Dime Variety Coins. After the conversation, I checked my Roosie Variety Registry Set, and there had already been one coin removed from the Roosie list. However, after a week or so, I noticied that the removed coin had been put back into the Registry, on the "required list." Just another example of "lack of communication" between the powers that be at the PCGS Registry and the Registry Set collectors themselves.

    Yup, thanks for the clarification. All of those actions were reversed, thankfully.

    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭✭

    @keyman64 said:
    I checked one of the new CPG Mercury Dimes last night and it has a place in Coin Facts. I’m not sure if all of them or just some of them have been added. If they have a place in Coin Facts does that mean we can send our coins in for variety attribution? I’m guessing that getting the coins in Coin Facts is the required step prior to them getting added to registry sets. If we do not have answers prior to Winter FUN then I can inquire when I am there.

    PCGS recognized/added all of the new additions to the CPG months to Coinfacts. There were 5-6 that they are not going to recognize but they are recognizing/grading virtually all the new varieties. I would like to know when they are going to add them to the requirement list!!! There are hundreds of new varieties that need a place in the complete variety sets!! Not sure why they are dragging their feet on the issue.

  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭✭

    @davewesen said:
    they are designating them now (with variety attribution fee)?

    They have been for several months. Several of us want to know when they will be added to the required lists for the complete variety Registry sets!

  • NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well for Washington Quarters if you go through Coinfacts they have all of the New Varieties listed except the following

    1947 Spitting Eagle FS-901
    1948-S Spitting Eagle FS-901
    1968-S Proof Type "F" FS-902
    1989-P No-P FS-501
    1994-P No-P FS-501

    I primarily collect WQ varieties from 1932 to 1964 and I am glad they will not attribute the 1947 and 1948-S Spitting Eagles. Not a big fan of those two varieties but will be looking for all of the others. I already have 3 of the new varieties and will be sending them in before the new year.

  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭✭

    I guess no new additions. This is going nowhere.

Sign In or Register to comment.