Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Rudman Sale of Caribbean (mainly Jamaican) Today

This sale promised the best collection of Br. colonial Jamaica with an unbelievable run of proof 1/4 penny to 1 penny denominations and very rare currency dates in much better states of preservation. I blew my budget two weeks ago on a very rare Brit coin so sadly constrained my bids.
I did come away with wonderful pennies of 1884 and 1894 as well as the extremely rare 1914 Halfpenny. I wanted to get the 1882 specimen 65 penny but just didn't want to give up what would have been required. I certainly had the feeling that some of these bidders would have gladly gone much higher if challenged. In their own way, and given that they were Jamaican colonial, they outpaced IMHO the Blay collection of IHCs.

Oh, these were at Noonan's in London for the record.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was exactly one Mexican coin in a sea of Jamaican in today’s sale. Why?

I tried for it, but it went beyond the realm of unreasonable, so didn’t get it.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

What was it ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

What was it ?

A piece of junk—literally.

A copper die pressure trial for a Charles IIII 8R. Not many survived because they were thrown away.

The buyer paid $1200 all-in. Worth maybe $500.

BTW @7Jaguars if you’re concerned about resale, you are probably better off with the rare British.

I personally don’t see a bright future in Jamaican coinage. And neither, apparently, does Rudman.

Sure there were some nice coins sold, but that market seems stagnant.

Thoughts?

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well it might be stagnant as there were no huge prices and 1500 pounds brought most of the individual proof pennies - a couple went higher. So I agree not a flipper series. Many Brit coins also do not fit that category & try to take care with purchases. I am a mere collector on a budget! LOL
    It still floors me that a Proof 66 1955 halfcrown only brings a bit over 5k USD when mintage of non-impounded specimens is in the 3-5 pcs range.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just puzzled as of why did not repeat with Heritage.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2023 8:15AM

@pruebas said:
    BTW @7Jaguars if you’re concerned about resale, you are probably better off with the rare British.

I personally don’t see a bright future in Jamaican coinage. And neither, apparently, does Rudman.

Sure there were some nice coins sold, but that market seems stagnant.

Thoughts?

I don't interpret Rudman's decision to sell some Jamaican coins as a bearish call on Jamaican coinage. He's in his early 80's, I believe, and has been pruning his collection - most notably, selections from his Mexican collection - for at least the past decade.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    Just puzzled as of why did not repeat with Heritage.

Noonan's has superior cataloging resources for Caribbean tokens, cut and countermarked coins, and medals. And they've already sold some major collections of such things, so they have the audience.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.