Jalen Carter almost pulled off the best play in the history of the NFL

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 22, 2023 1:00PM in Sports Talk

i would have bought a Jalen Carter jersey if he had picked this off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOxVDXNQrVw

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know, I know, it's way too early. But Nick Sirianni is building up his coaching record for at least consideration of being called a genius, and one day possibly enshrined in Canton.

Frankly, it would be silly to think any of that couldn't possibly happen.

I think the possible mistake Nick made on that play was not putting in a WR with sure hands. He will learn from that, and perhaps next time he will. Of course now the rest of the league will look out for it, except the dead head coaches.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know that I've ever seen that before, great try for sure

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya know what, that is a great idea. I can see it working.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I know, I know, it's way too early. But Nick Sirianni is building up his coaching record for at least consideration of being called a genius, and one day possibly enshrined in Canton.

I think the possible mistake Nick made on that play was not putting in a WR with sure hands. He will learn from that, and perhaps next time he will. Of course now the rest of the league will look out for it, except the dead head coaches.

Way to try to make it all about the head coach but nope, had nothing to do with him. The player saw a video of it working in a high school game so thought why not try it.
    How do you put in a WR on a spike?
    Not enough time to sub.

And you might be right about Nick being a great coach and possible hof’er my only point is that he had absolutely no involvement in that play.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never saw that before - excellent idea!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

Way to try to make it all about the head coach but nope, had nothing to do with him. The player saw a video of it working in a high school game so thought why not try it.
    Not enough time to sub.

And you might be right about Nick being a great coach and possible hof’er my only point is that he had absolutely no involvement in that play.

https://sports.yahoo.com/hs-play-inspired-jalen-carter-210036146.html

The HS play that inspired Jalen Carter’s spike interception attempt

Well three things:
    1. The play didn't work.
    2. The play may have worked if Carter would have told a coach about it, and then without question the head coach designs the play so that a sure handed receiver is going for the ball.
    3. This may never go public, but I guarantee that Nick Sirianni isn't very happy that Carter didn't tell him or another coach about the play ahead of time.

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

Not enough time to sub.

"I think the possible mistake Nick made on that play was not putting in a WR with sure hands. He will learn from that, and perhaps next time he will. Of course now the rest of the league will look out for it, except the dead head coaches."

But I'm glad you pointed this out, because now it figures why Nick didn't put a sure handed receiver in there, with everybody in the stadium knowing it was going to be a spike.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

Not enough time to sub.

https://sports.yahoo.com/hs-play-inspired-jalen-carter-210036146.html

Well three things:
    1. The play didn't work.
    2. The play may have worked if Carter would have told a coach about it, and then without question the head coach designs the play so that a sure handed receiver is going for the ball.
    3. This may never go public, but I guarantee that Nick Sirianni isn't very happy that Carter didn't tell him or another coach about the play ahead of time.

As usual you never can admit you’re wrong. I actually knew your response would be along those lines.
    Again, how do you put a WR in the game when everyone is rushing to get in position for the hurried snap?
    Do you call timeout? LOL
    This will never go public but if you believe Sirianni is upset that his player made a hustle play like that then frankly you don’t know crap.
    A coach is never upset when a player is busting his butt to make a heads up play.
    I didn’t really want to escalate this but you are one heck of a piece of work. When you found out the coach had nothing to do with the play instead of saying ‘hey I didn’t realize that’ you go into a blowhard explanation of why it probably would have worked by somehow inserting a WR into the game as a defensive lineman. If somehow the WR does manage to get on the field on time and the D lineman gets off the field, how does nobody on offense not notice something is up?
    Is Mahomes not supposed to notice there’s a 190 lb. player on the line instead of the usual 350 pounder?
    Does Mahomes say hey you’re looking trim and fit dude and then throw the ball towards the ground in his immediate vicinity?
    Great plan Steve how did you never end up as an NFL coach?

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

Not enough time to sub.

Well three things:
    1. The play didn't work.

As usual you never can admit you’re wrong. I actually knew your response would be along those lines.
    Again, how do you put a WR in the game when everyone is rushing to get in position for the hurried snap?
    Do you call timeout? LOL
    This will never go public but if you believe Sirianni is upset that his player made a hustle play like that then frankly you don’t know crap.
    A coach is never upset when a player is busting his butt to make a heads up play.
    I didn’t really want to escalate this but you are one heck of a piece of work. When you found out the coach had nothing to do with the play instead of saying ‘hey I didn’t realize that’ you go into a blowhard explanation of why it probably would have worked by somehow inserting a WR into the game as a defensive lineman. If somehow the WR does manage to get on the field on time and the D lineman gets off the field, how does nobody on offense not notice something is up?
    Is Mahomes not supposed to notice there’s a 190 lb. player on the line instead of the usual 350 pounder?
    Does Mahomes say hey you’re looking trim and fit dude and then throw the ball towards the ground in his immediate vicinity?
    Great plan Steve how did you never end up as an NFL coach?

Everything I stated was basically football 101.

As previously mentioned, everyone in the stadium knew that Mahomes was going to spike the football. Upon another second of contemplation about it, I'll amend my comment about a WR coming in, and make it a tight end. Most tight ends in high school likely went both ways, as a receiver and possibly a defensive end or linebacker. Plus they block as part of their regular duties on offense. This play would be perfect for them, and it's really not debatable.

To believe that Mahomes was looking around at the Eagles line is just silly. Doesn't matter if the Three Stooges are out there on the D-line, he's spiking the football. That's all he is focused on - nothing else.

The Eagles wouldn't need a formation change for this play. Just one quick substitution.

That play to a head coach is not a "heads-up play" as you stated. That is a player's own made-up play, and it's obvious based on what has been reported. Coaches do not like that at all, except perhaps with a skilled QB who has practiced with his receiving group the art of improvising. D-linemen are not paid to improvise outside of normally practiced plays.

Sirianni definitely wasn't happy with what Carter did without telling any coach, if indeed that's what happened. Perhaps the nod had been given to Carter to go ahead and do it, but that hasn't been reported. However from the articles I've read, it implied that Carter did this on his own, and I believe that is the case based on if Carter would have told his coaches about it, they wouldn't have had Carter in there, it would have been a tight end.

I played football grades 7 thru 12. Does that make me an expert on football? Of course not. However I do know a lot about the game, its strategies, etc, and I do understand the way head coaches think. I'll let you in on a little secret - all football head coaches are crazy - no exceptions - LOL.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

why are qb spikes even legal?

The Qb is not out of the pocket
    The ball does not make it past the line of scrimmage
    there is no WR in the vicinity.

shouldnt it be intentional grounding, 10 yard penalty and loss of down?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

QB is not spiking the ball to avoid being sacked. He is throwing an incomplete pass to stop the clock.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

It is technically intentional grounding. Like many things, they tweaked the rules to allow, so as to make the ends of games more exciting.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plus, if spiking the ball wasn't allowed, we couldn't have amazing fake spikes. This recent one will go down in Pats lore. https://youtu.be/ZWXmdLajGYk?feature=shared

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

The intentional grounding rule requires that the quarterback be under duress in order for it to be grounding. That's why you generally don't see penalties when "they weren't on the same page" and the quarterback misses a receiver by 30 yards.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

"Nick Sirianni is building up his coaching record for at least consideration of being called a genius, and one day possibly enshrined in Canton"

Pretty funny, you were saying the same thing about Doug Pederson after the Eagles got incredibly lucky one season with super aggressive 4th down play calling and road that luck to a super bowl victory.

As for your take on the coaches reaction to Carter trying an incredibly heads up attempt to get an interception...you are utterly and completely wrong. As for substituting a player, there is no time to do that during the 2 minute drill, that would be a guaranteed too many men on the field penalty.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    "Nick Sirianni is building up his coaching record for at least consideration of being called a genius, and one day possibly enshrined in Canton"

Pretty funny, you were saying the same thing about Doug Pederson after the Eagles got incredibly lucky one season with super aggressive 4th down play calling and road that luck to a super bowl victory.

As for your take on the coaches reaction to Carter trying an incredibly heads up attempt to get an interception...you are utterly and completely wrong. As for substituting a player, there is no time to do that during the 2 minute drill, that would be a guaranteed too many men on the field penalty.

Robb

You are correct about my view of Doug Pederson at that time.

You are incorrect about the Carter play.

Hey, one outa two ain't bad. 😉

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this interception on Instagram and thought of this thread. I'd say it has to be in the top 5 INT's of all time.
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0KVAXJPBJG/?fbclid=IwAR0JNuJC7_lFitXvWm0__FYz1sNgj6u9LnzJ6erYpdkK9cg6Cy3hW-Jth8I