Options

Drew Brees cannot throw with his right arm anymore

2»

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    "Nicotine is difficult thing to quit completely!"

My best friend smoked 2 packs of Newports a day before he died of throat cancer 5 years ago at age 57 - ironically it was the same day I threw my cigs in the trash and have never smoked since! There was no way in Hell I wanted to go through what the doctors did to him to try to "save his life".

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, glad you were able to kick the habit before it's too late. 👍

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2023 8:24PM

, glad you were able to kick the habit before it's too late. 👍

Thanks!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2023 8:47PM

@Steven59 said:

Your lightbulb moment.

Can be from yourself, from family or friends, or anyone.

Could even be from say a bad car accident, which has nothing to do with the addiction. But the brutality of the incident makes ya want to clean-up some areas of your life, to live a better life.

I mentioned the kidney stone, which made me alter my diet so that wouldn't happen again. However what really made me improve even more in that aspect was reading articles about how dementia has become a plague out there.

Used to be in the days of old, the elderly were well respected for their gained knowledge in life, that they would pass along to others. Now it seems in too many cases, the elderly become brain dead. I believe mostly because of lifestyle choices particularly terrible eating habits. So i made the choice to go from a relatively healthy diet after the kidney stone, later to an extremely healthy diet. Because dying is inevitable, but I certainly don't want a "slow death" of years of not being able to remember even my own name.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

Well seeing him in the hospital with most of lower jaw cut off and breathing and eating through tubes was one Hell of a deterrent. Scared me straight :)

Your lightbulb moment.

Can be from yourself, from family or friends, or anyone.

Could even be from say a bad car accident, which has nothing to do with the addiction. But the brutality of the incident makes ya want to clean-up some areas of your life, to live a better life.

I mentioned the kidney stone, which made me alter my diet so that wouldn't happen again. However what really made me improve even more in that aspect was reading articles about how dementia has become a plague out there.

Used to be in the days of old, the elderly were well respected for their gained knowledge in life, that they would pass along to others. Now it seems in too many cases, the elderly become brain dead. I believe mostly because of lifestyle choices particularly terrible eating habits. So i made the choice to go from a relatively healthy diet after the kidney stone, later to an extremely healthy diet. Because dying is inevitable, but I certainly don't want a "slow death" of years of not being able to remember even my own name.

I see you deleted part of your post, so I deleted your quote reply of it, but just kept my entire reply post.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    MMA is more brutal overall but with the smaller gloves guys get knocked out quicker saving some of the trauma and obviously they go a lot more than just throw hands.

MMA has two "advantages", if you want to call them that, over boxing. First, as you mentioned, is that there's less striking overall because of the other things that occur (grappling, submissions, etc.) and the shorter bouts (longest fights anymore are 25 minutes vs 30-36 for boxing). Second is that the fight is generally over if you get knocked down where in boxing you're allowed a chance to recover and take more damage.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:
    carl crawfords deal with Boston was about as bad as i can remember.

Pablo Sandovol?

there have been so many bad ones> @doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:
    Football players are gladiators, no question about it.

Most other professional sports are stealing the money for what they do, especially baseball. But football players earn every cent they make.

Hockey players take a beating 80 games + per year.

When I was younger, I always considered boxing to be the most grueling sport. I mean how can it get worse than being hit in the head countless numbers of times by a strong boxer? Seemed obvious to me.

Then I read an article pointing out how football has that distinction. I can't recall if the article used the word "grueling" or not, but I think it possibly could have been used. I thought about it and wound-up agreeing with the article.

The main reason is that yes, football players are not exposed to as much head trauma as boxers. But football players are exposed to a lot of head trauma, as CTE among long time football players is not uncommon. That being said, football exposes the player to so much more than just head trauma. Overall the damage that's done to the body playing football, yes I believe does equate to being more grueling than boxing.

Frankly, I would still place boxing, along with mixed martial arts in the gladiator category. With football at the top. The other sports mentioned have their toughness about them, I'm not questioning that, but I wouldn't consider those players to be gladiators, and baseball not even remotely close.

So in my view, considering everything, baseball players are stealing money for what they do. They shouldn't be making 1/10th of what they make. Football players in my view deserve every cent.

Boxing is definitely one of the most dangerous sports, around 1500 have died as a result of their injuries in the ring since the 1880s. As far as head trauma, boxing is by far the worst, the concussive force is greater, guys look like they've been hit by a shotgun blast, their bodies going completely limp. You rarely see that in any other sports, happens all the time in boxing. The gloves aren't padded to protect the face, they're padded to protect the fist, allowing guys to really unload on you.

Cassius Clay, sometimes little known by his other name, is a good example of what you stated. There are a number of interviews with him on Youtube. In the 60's and 70's he is smart, articulate, and even funny with a good sense of humor. In the 80's interviews or around that time, it was obvious how his brain had degraded in slower responses to interview questions, slightly slurred speech, etc.

Upon his retirement from boxing and until his death, I think most of us already know how Ali became sort of like a dementia patient. Yet from what I've read, he technically did not have dementia, and could understand everything going on around him including conversations. He just verbally couldn't respond to it. His physical mechanisms eventually shut down as well. Most will say, and I fully agree, that this gross deterioration was caused by boxing.

I read one time where somebody did a study, and estimated that Ali during his career, including sparing, etc, was subjected to approximately 75,000 blows to the head. Whatever is the number, it's for sure a lot of blows to the head. I mean there are sometimes news stories about someone receiving just one blow to the head in a scuffle of some sort, and dying from it.

It's of course not just Ali. My favorite boxer of all time is Joe Frazier. Joe wasn't as witty as Ali, not too many people are, but Joe was highly intelligent without question. Sadly, Joe as well in retirement suffered in a similar manner as Ali, although it wasn't quite as bad. It was painful to me hearing Joe speak as he got older, slurring the words, etc.

That's an excellent point you make about all the deaths from boxing, which I hadn't thought of when making my initial post about it. Boxers are gladiators, without question, and they well earn every cent that they make. Those fat 50 and 100 million dollar purses or whatever it is, I don't begrudge them one bit making that kind of big money.

It is sad to see a lot of boxers later in life with the slurred speech, Larry Holmes, Riddick Bowe, a lot of them show the signs you are talking about. I love Joe Frazier as well, one of my all-time favorites, a great guy and fighter, it was heart breaking listening to him talk in his later years, and of course Ali, who had such an outgoing personality in his younger days, and couldn't even speak as he got older. Football is a very violent sport as well, just look at Joe Montana, all the damage he took in the 80s when defenders could just lay waste to the quarterback. I was reading an article about Montana recently and he's had so many surgeries all over his body it's ridiculous, dozens, he's in constant pain all the time, and his wife said sometimes the pain gets so bad that he just gets out of bed in the middle of the night and lays in the floor in agony. Football is brutal on your overall body. Take this for example, Christian McCaffrey's wife posted these pics online the other day, she was a bit surprised by the beating his body took in their game on Thanksgiving. You can see the bruises and blood on his arm, and it left blood stains on the bed covers.

Yea, it's sort of like a form of morbid fun when you're young. Ya get banged up and figure your body will heal up fine and recover. In high school football, I was too stupid to wear an arm pad, and both my arms were almost one continuous bruise during football season. I actually enjoyed showing it off - sick, i admit it.

The only long term casualty I suffered from playing football was during a game this MFer clipped me for really no reason, as the play was on the other side of the field. To this day my one knee is a bit gimpy when i start walking long distances such as hunting. No pain, it just gives out so to speak. No complaints, but frankly, I'm glad as yell I decided not to even try college football, and I was tempted to try out.

Our fraternity used to party with the football fraternity up at Penn State, and of course when we all got drunk, we'd wind-up arm wrestling for the yell of it. At that time the football players shared the same weight room with the other students, and I was in there regularly every other day. So the football players knew my face, as it's usually the same people in there all the time. I'd outlift most of them. And during the arm wrestling sessions, I'd beat most of them. Some of them said to me why don't you try out for the team as a walk-on? I told them I thought about it, but the problem is in the 40, you can time me with an hourglass. Paterno or his staff would have cut me quickly because of that, so I figured why bother. Even if I had somehow made the team, I'd be no better than a third team tackling dummy. I knew I'd never play in a game, so I just didn't want to do that.

You probably know about and perhaps have seen the video on Jim Otto? I didn't realize that about Montana. I'll have to check out Youtube and see if there's a video on it about his hardship.

Interesting about the arm wrestling, I used to be obsessed with arm wrestling back in my younger days and I would challenge everyone and their brother to a match. Anyway, a while back I was poking around on YouTube, just looking at various videos, and I came across a video of two guys arm wrestling and the force of the pulling caused the guys arm to just snap like a stick, it was the first time I had ever seen anything like that happening in an arm wrestling match, and from that moment on I have never arm wrestled again, nor will I ever do it again period. It makes me cringe when I think about all of those arm wrestling matches I participated in, they were intense and I was lucky not to have broken my arm in half. I haven't seen the Jim Otto video you refer to, I'll check it out when I get a chance. 👍

The last time I ever arm wrestled, and it will be the last time, was around 20 years ago. I was attending this good customer's employee wedding. The employee was my main contact there for orders, etc, but I also knew the owner well. Did a ton of business with him.

Anyway so at the reception, we're all sitting at the same table with the owner, and other business associates of the groom. I always knew the owner was a bull, very strong, but we never discussed any of that during business. But you see it coming, we're drinking a lot, and sure enough the subject of arm wrestling came up. I stated not in a bragging way, but I think the owner took it that way, that nobody, and I mean nobody has ever beaten me in arm wrestling who was close to my weight class. I recall at the mentioned frat parties, those who beat me outweighed me by at least 50 or 100 pounds, basically the linemen. This owner may have outweighed me by perhaps 10 or 15 pounds, and he took umbrage to what I said, in a fun way. Admittedly i did it intentionally as we all knew he was a tough guy. So we agreed to arm wrestle right there at the table, right in front of the ladies. Toughest match I ever had, it must have lasted one to two minutes, both of us going full out, and it was still a stalemate. Finally he acquiesced and let go, and I'm sure glad he did because I was shot.

Well the next day I had the worst tendinitis in my right elbow, I ever had in my life. And it must have lasted close to two weeks before it finally went away. It was brutal. Certainly wasn't worth the silly fooling around to see who's the best arm wrestler. You might think it was kinda stupid beating a guy in arm wresting who was a great customer. But we knew each other over a decade, and had a good laugh about it after it was over. I sure wasn't laughing about it the next day. I've had a kidney stone, and I'd rather have the kidney stone than have that severe tendinitis again - LOL

I've heard of tendinitis before but didn't realize it was that painful, worse than a kidney stone, I'm definitely never arm wrestling again!

It's a different sort of pain. Not sharp pain like a kidney stone, but a dull throbbing pain, agonizingly uncomfortable.

Not something I want to experience, I'm sure of that!

Also be careful as ya get older with things such as shoveling snow. I think most everyone is aware about the heart attack angle, but getting tendinitis from it is no fun either.

I actually have heart issues already, my heart beats way too fast after I eat, so my doctor put me on atenelol and it slows my heart down to a normal pace, so I'm always careful not to exert myself too much with my heart. I have pushed it too hard in the past and had chest pains that resulted in trips to the emergency room, they never found anything wrong though, just told me to take it easy. I still don't know why it beats too fast after I eat, but at least the atenelol slows it down

Sorry to hear that.

What is one of your typical meals if you don't mind me asking, and snacks, etc. Also outside of eating, do you have any "bad habits" as far as what could affect your physical well being?

No problem if ya don't wish to discuss it further.

Well, I smoked cigarettes for over a decade, but now I chew nicotine gum like it's going out of style, I'm chewing it right now as we speak. I'm sure that doesn't help my blood pressure, but I can't kick nicotine completely, I never will be able to kick the habit, I tried going cold turkey but the cravings are just overwhelming. I chew way too much, more than the recommended dose, that's probably my problem, I'm chewing too much of the stuff. Don't ever start smoking Steve, you'll regret it if you do

I have never personally smoked, but have had many many relatives who have. From my observations, it is one of the hardest addictions there is to quit. Some of my uncles were never able to. nicotine has a very strong pull. while the gum is probably not great for you, it must be worlds better for you than smoking.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:
    carl crawfords deal with Boston was about as bad as i can remember.

Pablo Sandovol?

there have been so many bad ones> @doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:
    Football players are gladiators, no question about it.

Most other professional sports are stealing the money for what they do, especially baseball. But football players earn every cent they make.

Hockey players take a beating 80 games + per year.

When I was younger, I always considered boxing to be the most grueling sport. I mean how can it get worse than being hit in the head countless numbers of times by a strong boxer? Seemed obvious to me.

Then I read an article pointing out how football has that distinction. I can't recall if the article used the word "grueling" or not, but I think it possibly could have been used. I thought about it and wound-up agreeing with the article.

The main reason is that yes, football players are not exposed to as much head trauma as boxers. But football players are exposed to a lot of head trauma, as CTE among long time football players is not uncommon. That being said, football exposes the player to so much more than just head trauma. Overall the damage that's done to the body playing football, yes I believe does equate to being more grueling than boxing.

Frankly, I would still place boxing, along with mixed martial arts in the gladiator category. With football at the top. The other sports mentioned have their toughness about them, I'm not questioning that, but I wouldn't consider those players to be gladiators, and baseball not even remotely close.

So in my view, considering everything, baseball players are stealing money for what they do. They shouldn't be making 1/10th of what they make. Football players in my view deserve every cent.

Boxing is definitely one of the most dangerous sports, around 1500 have died as a result of their injuries in the ring since the 1880s. As far as head trauma, boxing is by far the worst, the concussive force is greater, guys look like they've been hit by a shotgun blast, their bodies going completely limp. You rarely see that in any other sports, happens all the time in boxing. The gloves aren't padded to protect the face, they're padded to protect the fist, allowing guys to really unload on you.

Cassius Clay, sometimes little known by his other name, is a good example of what you stated. There are a number of interviews with him on Youtube. In the 60's and 70's he is smart, articulate, and even funny with a good sense of humor. In the 80's interviews or around that time, it was obvious how his brain had degraded in slower responses to interview questions, slightly slurred speech, etc.

Upon his retirement from boxing and until his death, I think most of us already know how Ali became sort of like a dementia patient. Yet from what I've read, he technically did not have dementia, and could understand everything going on around him including conversations. He just verbally couldn't respond to it. His physical mechanisms eventually shut down as well. Most will say, and I fully agree, that this gross deterioration was caused by boxing.

I read one time where somebody did a study, and estimated that Ali during his career, including sparing, etc, was subjected to approximately 75,000 blows to the head. Whatever is the number, it's for sure a lot of blows to the head. I mean there are sometimes news stories about someone receiving just one blow to the head in a scuffle of some sort, and dying from it.

It's of course not just Ali. My favorite boxer of all time is Joe Frazier. Joe wasn't as witty as Ali, not too many people are, but Joe was highly intelligent without question. Sadly, Joe as well in retirement suffered in a similar manner as Ali, although it wasn't quite as bad. It was painful to me hearing Joe speak as he got older, slurring the words, etc.

That's an excellent point you make about all the deaths from boxing, which I hadn't thought of when making my initial post about it. Boxers are gladiators, without question, and they well earn every cent that they make. Those fat 50 and 100 million dollar purses or whatever it is, I don't begrudge them one bit making that kind of big money.

It is sad to see a lot of boxers later in life with the slurred speech, Larry Holmes, Riddick Bowe, a lot of them show the signs you are talking about. I love Joe Frazier as well, one of my all-time favorites, a great guy and fighter, it was heart breaking listening to him talk in his later years, and of course Ali, who had such an outgoing personality in his younger days, and couldn't even speak as he got older. Football is a very violent sport as well, just look at Joe Montana, all the damage he took in the 80s when defenders could just lay waste to the quarterback. I was reading an article about Montana recently and he's had so many surgeries all over his body it's ridiculous, dozens, he's in constant pain all the time, and his wife said sometimes the pain gets so bad that he just gets out of bed in the middle of the night and lays in the floor in agony. Football is brutal on your overall body. Take this for example, Christian McCaffrey's wife posted these pics online the other day, she was a bit surprised by the beating his body took in their game on Thanksgiving. You can see the bruises and blood on his arm, and it left blood stains on the bed covers.

Yea, it's sort of like a form of morbid fun when you're young. Ya get banged up and figure your body will heal up fine and recover. In high school football, I was too stupid to wear an arm pad, and both my arms were almost one continuous bruise during football season. I actually enjoyed showing it off - sick, i admit it.

The only long term casualty I suffered from playing football was during a game this MFer clipped me for really no reason, as the play was on the other side of the field. To this day my one knee is a bit gimpy when i start walking long distances such as hunting. No pain, it just gives out so to speak. No complaints, but frankly, I'm glad as yell I decided not to even try college football, and I was tempted to try out.

Our fraternity used to party with the football fraternity up at Penn State, and of course when we all got drunk, we'd wind-up arm wrestling for the yell of it. At that time the football players shared the same weight room with the other students, and I was in there regularly every other day. So the football players knew my face, as it's usually the same people in there all the time. I'd outlift most of them. And during the arm wrestling sessions, I'd beat most of them. Some of them said to me why don't you try out for the team as a walk-on? I told them I thought about it, but the problem is in the 40, you can time me with an hourglass. Paterno or his staff would have cut me quickly because of that, so I figured why bother. Even if I had somehow made the team, I'd be no better than a third team tackling dummy. I knew I'd never play in a game, so I just didn't want to do that.

You probably know about and perhaps have seen the video on Jim Otto? I didn't realize that about Montana. I'll have to check out Youtube and see if there's a video on it about his hardship.

Interesting about the arm wrestling, I used to be obsessed with arm wrestling back in my younger days and I would challenge everyone and their brother to a match. Anyway, a while back I was poking around on YouTube, just looking at various videos, and I came across a video of two guys arm wrestling and the force of the pulling caused the guys arm to just snap like a stick, it was the first time I had ever seen anything like that happening in an arm wrestling match, and from that moment on I have never arm wrestled again, nor will I ever do it again period. It makes me cringe when I think about all of those arm wrestling matches I participated in, they were intense and I was lucky not to have broken my arm in half. I haven't seen the Jim Otto video you refer to, I'll check it out when I get a chance. 👍

The last time I ever arm wrestled, and it will be the last time, was around 20 years ago. I was attending this good customer's employee wedding. The employee was my main contact there for orders, etc, but I also knew the owner well. Did a ton of business with him.

Anyway so at the reception, we're all sitting at the same table with the owner, and other business associates of the groom. I always knew the owner was a bull, very strong, but we never discussed any of that during business. But you see it coming, we're drinking a lot, and sure enough the subject of arm wrestling came up. I stated not in a bragging way, but I think the owner took it that way, that nobody, and I mean nobody has ever beaten me in arm wrestling who was close to my weight class. I recall at the mentioned frat parties, those who beat me outweighed me by at least 50 or 100 pounds, basically the linemen. This owner may have outweighed me by perhaps 10 or 15 pounds, and he took umbrage to what I said, in a fun way. Admittedly i did it intentionally as we all knew he was a tough guy. So we agreed to arm wrestle right there at the table, right in front of the ladies. Toughest match I ever had, it must have lasted one to two minutes, both of us going full out, and it was still a stalemate. Finally he acquiesced and let go, and I'm sure glad he did because I was shot.

Well the next day I had the worst tendinitis in my right elbow, I ever had in my life. And it must have lasted close to two weeks before it finally went away. It was brutal. Certainly wasn't worth the silly fooling around to see who's the best arm wrestler. You might think it was kinda stupid beating a guy in arm wresting who was a great customer. But we knew each other over a decade, and had a good laugh about it after it was over. I sure wasn't laughing about it the next day. I've had a kidney stone, and I'd rather have the kidney stone than have that severe tendinitis again - LOL

I've heard of tendinitis before but didn't realize it was that painful, worse than a kidney stone, I'm definitely never arm wrestling again!

It's a different sort of pain. Not sharp pain like a kidney stone, but a dull throbbing pain, agonizingly uncomfortable.

Not something I want to experience, I'm sure of that!

Also be careful as ya get older with things such as shoveling snow. I think most everyone is aware about the heart attack angle, but getting tendinitis from it is no fun either.

I actually have heart issues already, my heart beats way too fast after I eat, so my doctor put me on atenelol and it slows my heart down to a normal pace, so I'm always careful not to exert myself too much with my heart. I have pushed it too hard in the past and had chest pains that resulted in trips to the emergency room, they never found anything wrong though, just told me to take it easy. I still don't know why it beats too fast after I eat, but at least the atenelol slows it down

Sorry to hear that.

What is one of your typical meals if you don't mind me asking, and snacks, etc. Also outside of eating, do you have any "bad habits" as far as what could affect your physical well being?

No problem if ya don't wish to discuss it further.

Well, I smoked cigarettes for over a decade, but now I chew nicotine gum like it's going out of style, I'm chewing it right now as we speak. I'm sure that doesn't help my blood pressure, but I can't kick nicotine completely, I never will be able to kick the habit, I tried going cold turkey but the cravings are just overwhelming. I chew way too much, more than the recommended dose, that's probably my problem, I'm chewing too much of the stuff. Don't ever start smoking Steve, you'll regret it if you do

I have never personally smoked, but have had many many relatives who have. From my observations, it is one of the hardest addictions there is to quit. Some of my uncles were never able to. nicotine has a very strong pull. while the gum is probably not great for you, it must be worlds better for you than smoking.

It was really hard to quit, if it wasn't for the gum, I'd still be smoking. The gum is definitely better than smoking, the constant coughing, yellow nicotine stains on your teeth and fingers, clothes and home smelling like smoke, not being able to jog without being out of breath. The gum is much better, I actually jog every other day now and my breathing has improved tremendously. 👍

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek
    "I see you deleted part of your post,"

Yeah, didn't want to sound too morbid. Thanks. But as you stated - Big time wake up call!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    @stevek
    "I see you deleted part of your post,"

Yeah, didn't want to sound too morbid. Thanks. But as you stated - Big time wake up call!

The interesting thing about human beings, including me, is often times "morbid" or situations to that effect, is what motivates us take action.

Perhaps an ingrained survival instinct learned as we evolved over the many thousands of years.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

DD the gum is a million times better than smoking.

I quit 14 years ago, there were days/nights where I would go through 4-5 packs/day. Did one box of gum and an occasional cigar. I have dreams about smoking cigarettes but will never touch another one ever again. I will have a cigar. Had one Friday but that was the first one in 2 months. My dr said that's fine and when I did the gum he said chew all of that you want, so long as you're not smoking is the key.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:
    MMA is more brutal overall but with the smaller gloves guys get knocked out quicker saving some of the trauma and obviously they go a lot more than just throw hands.

MMA has two "advantages", if you want to call them that, over boxing. First, as you mentioned, is that there's less striking overall because of the other things that occur (grappling, submissions, etc.) and the shorter bouts (longest fights anymore are 25 minutes vs 30-36 for boxing). Second is that the fight is generally over if you get knocked down where in boxing you're allowed a chance to recover and take more damage.

A boxer isnt going to arm bar your shoulder out of the socket or break your leg grappling. The fight isnt generally over if you get knocked down in MMA unless something significant is about to happen or you have been knocked out. MMA has a ton of minutes on the ground that have elbows to the face, submission moves that choke you out or break bones, tear legitimates

Boxing is certainly more detrimental to brain health unless youre Mayweather who was super boring to watch. The grossest injuries of bones breaking, ligaments getting ripped in half and so on do come from MMA.

Granted MMA is watered down at this point like boxing is where there are cattle being lead to slaughter to have an event

• Options

@DrBuster said:

I quit 14 years ago, there were days/nights where I would go through 4-5 packs/day. Did one box of gum and an occasional cigar. I have dreams about smoking cigarettes but will never touch another one ever again. I will have a cigar. Had one Friday but that was the first one in 2 months. My dr said that's fine and when I did the gum he said chew all of that you want, so long as you're not smoking is the key.

I hear you, I used to go through 2 packs a day and was working my way up to three when I was told about the gum by a friend of mine, haven't had a cigarette in over 5 years!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@DrBuster said:

I hear you, I used to go through 2 packs a day and was working my way up to three when I was told about the gum by a friend of mine, haven't had a cigarette in over 5 years!

DD, 5 years without smoking is a great accomplishment!!! You should be proud of that. Think of how much mileage you have saved on your lungs in the last 5 years!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

DD, 5 years without smoking is a great accomplishment!!! You should be proud of that. Think of how much mileage you have saved on your lungs in the last 5 years!

indeed. proud of you DD, keep it up bro