Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hoping for a PSA 10 pd

Recently purchased this card on Ebay without looking closer. Attached is a section of the card in question. I didn't scan the full card though it truly is perfectly centered which is rare for this variation. When received I noticed a faint line at the top running down through the letter h in his first name all the way down to the fat of the black bat. Bummer I thought but went ahead and submitted it to PSA for grading thinking a possible 9 but if it comes back 10 pd it will be a first. Will update when grade is received. Any thoughts from the board graders?

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly not sure if you're joking about 10pd or not. Obviously though, that doesn't and will never exist. So, you're possibly looking at a 9pd which would be equivalent to a 7NQ relative to set registry rules. Therefore, if NQ, anything 7.5 or 8 is a win.

• Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    Honestly not sure if you're joking about 10pd or not. Obviously though, that doesn't and will never exist. So, you're possibly looking at a 9pd which would be equivalent to a 7NQ relative to set registry rules. Therefore, if NQ, anything 7.5 or 8 is a win.

Just joking about the 10pd though if the AI goes down when being graded you never know.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Is that a print line or an indentation line? Print Defects are only involving ink. If an indentation, that would be a surface "defect", thus just graded based on a poorer surface.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    Is that a print line or an indentation line? Print Defects are only involving ink. If an indentation, that would be a surface "defect", thus just graded based on a poorer surface.

Definitely ink. Not an indentation.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna say that if it's otherwise a 10, the print line drops it to an 8.

• Options

UPDATE: PSA received the card on 11-22 and a check today 11-30 is already showing the status of Grading. Never seen a sub move this quickly.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

In the olden days an 8. But now, because of who it is and the AI grading and such. I say 7. But that is a nice looking card.

• Options

@jraytay said:
    UPDATE: PSA received the card on 11-22 and a check today 11-30 is already showing the status of Grading. Never seen a sub move this quickly.

What service level did you send it as?

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jraytay said:

Not to rain on your parade, but I have 2 60s specials that have been in grading for almost 90 days. Just about 5 days away from 90.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@jraytay said:

What service level did you send it as?

Value

• Options

@jraytay said:

UPDATE 2: As of 12-17 the card status is still showing Grading. 8 days from Received to Grading and 17 days so far in Grading. PSA is showing expected ready date of March 22.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

A PSA 5 wouldn't shock me.

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

I'd bet it comes back a PSA 6. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, they are not lenient on surface/ink issues on this issue.
    Good luck with the grade. Those image variations were tough to pull.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

The response guess grades so far are 5-6-7-8. Pretty wide spread. Here are two graded 9 that
    I purchased earlier this year. Except for the faint print line on the recent one submitted it's perfectly centered. Should be interesting to see what the grader thinks and will let everyone know when received.

• Options

@jraytay said:

@jraytay said:

UPDATE 2: As of 12-17 the card status is still showing Grading. 8 days from Received to Grading and 17 days so far in Grading. PSA is showing expected ready date of March 22.

UPDATE 3: As of 12-20 the card status changed to Assembly.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been holding my breath.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Hi, I am a grader :) how the heck you think I've............. never mind.

• Options

@jraytay said:

@jraytay said:

@jraytay said:

UPDATE 4: As of 1-2 the card status changed to QA check.

• Options

@jraytay said:

@jraytay said:

@jraytay said:

@jraytay said:

UPDATE 4: As of 1-2 the card status changed to QA check - Complete - Graded. Never seen the status change so quickly.!

Here is the PSA result without the grade showing. Some of the replies guessed it would receive 5-6-7 or 8.
    Please take a look at the original pic I included then look at the PSA pic and throw out a few more guesses. I'll post the same pic with the grade showing after some replies.

• Options

@jraytay said:

@jraytay said:

@jraytay said:

@jraytay said:

@jraytay said:

UPDATE 4: As of 1-2 the card status changed to QA check - Complete - Graded. Never seen the status change so quickly.!

Here is the PSA result without the grade showing. Some of the replies guessed it would receive 5-6-7 or 8.
    Please take a look at the original pic I included then look at the PSA pic and throw out a few more guesses. I'll post the same pic with the grade showing after some replies.

Well.....I attached the pic with the grade by accident. I am shocked since was hoping for a PSA 10 pd (haha). What I don't see in the PSA pic is the line that was obvious in the raw pic I initially included. No explanation.

• Options

Obvious line on the raw card submitted. Don't see it on the graded one.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

They probably switched cards for you cause they are such a super, kind company. New graders, New standards, and new cards. All in one holder!

• Options

It's still there. Hard to see in the attached image but you can faintly see it. Easier to see on Certification Verification page.

Congratulations on the 10. It confuses me when there is a difference between what the card is supposed to look like versus what ended up on the card stock. In my opinion, there should be a designation for the deviation, so it is distinguished since it could be discovered later that these deviations were quality issues and were corrected as soon as they were noticed. I've read posts from confident members who swear a card with a line like that should never get a PSA10. Personally I disagree since the grade is the condition of the card, not a comparison of what it was supposed to be printed like when compared to the rest. The grader believes the card itself is flawless, despite what the printer did, and I would agree.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the PSA-10!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@JolleyWrencher said:
    It's still there. Hard to see in the attached image but you can faintly see it. Easier to see on Certification Verification page.

Congratulations on the 10. It confuses me when there is a difference between what the card is supposed to look like versus what ended up on the card stock. In my opinion, there should be a designation for the deviation, so it is distinguished since it could be discovered later that these deviations were quality issues and were corrected as soon as they were noticed. I've read posts from confident members who swear a card with a line like that should never get a PSA10. Personally I disagree since the grade is the condition of the card, not a comparison of what it was supposed to be printed like when compared to the rest. The grader believes the card itself is flawless, despite what the printer did, and I would agree.

When I go to the Cert Verification page it's stating 'We're sorry. The certification number provided was not found in the database." The pic I attached was taken today direct from the Completed Items list. Not sure where you're seeing what you state.

• Options

@1959 said:
    They probably switched cards for you cause they are such a super, kind company. New graders, New standards, and new cards. All in one holder!

HaHa... Whatever they did is fine with me!

• Options
    edited January 2, 2024 1:12PM

The Cert page is down (unless JollyWrencher was just speaking in theory)... Probably was caught in QA stage or from a PSA employee reading this thread. You shouldn't have posted till you got it back! That's what you get for flossing! :D Don't post the questionable till you get a tracking number!

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    The Cert page is down (unless JollyWrencher was just speaking in theory)... Probably was caught in QA stage or from a PSA employee reading this thread. You shouldn't have posted till you got it back! That's what you get for flossing! :D Don't post the questionable till you get a tracking number!

Jolly Wrencher jumped the gun with his comment about seeing this on the cert page which it isn't yet. He's the one that needs to floss :) . PSA employee reading this thread? That's laughable. They could care less....also..I'll post when I feel like it.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on the pull and grade.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1959 said:

They use a high powered, reverse black light on it. One scan and it reduces the line almost completely. >:)

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@hyperchipper09 said:
    A PSA 5 wouldn't shock me.

It getting a PSA 10 did shock me.

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

@jraytay said:

@RufussCkingston said:

Jolly Wrencher jumped the gun with his comment about seeing this on the cert page which it isn't yet. He's the one that needs to floss :) . PSA employee reading this thread? That's laughable. They could care less....also..I'll post when I feel like it.

I was speaking theoretically, good call RufussCkingston, I did not check the cert page. I was able to see the line on the photo in this thread.

Still confused with the grading system. I imagine this is the same situation as a Donruss with fisheyes. Now if this would apply to the 93 fleer ultra scoring kings print defects (appears like chipped/scratched foil) then I would send my Jordan in expecting a 9...but the 8 I received on my pack fresh Alonzo with no scrath/chip defects is making me apprehensive.

Unless you are emotionally tied to that card then I would consider selling it for another PSA10 without the line unless you anticipate it would be worth more than if the line wasn't there.

I'm surprised the manufacturers let these quality issues persist. Possibly they correct the issue asap but don't bother pulling out the mistakes since it comes with a cost. If the mistakes were reflected in the grades then I would consider asking the manufacturer to trade for a flawless copy because there's no excuse for not being able to catch the mistakes early enough to ensure your product going out the door is flawless. We know the technology exists but I don't foresee any of these companies throwing money to make a better quality product if it hasn't impacted their profits or reputation much.

• Options

@jraytay said:

I'd still hold my breath while it goes through the QA stage as we have stories all the time of the grades being "corrected"... Otherwise it is nice to see that PSA is now hiring disabled employees, because only a blind person would give that a 10 based on the eye-appeal test! I hope it makes it through to shipping.....

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

I guess they dialed back the AI robot eye too much.

Now me and my stack of PSA9-should-be-10s are even madder now.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@jraytay said:

I'd still hold my breath while it goes through the QA stage as we have stories all the time of the grades being "corrected"... Otherwise it is nice to see that PSA is now hiring disabled employees, because only a blind person would give that a 10 based on the eye-appeal test! I hope it makes it through to shipping.....

@RufussCkingston said:

@jraytay said:

The card is now on the Cert page. No need to 'speak in theory' whatever that means. I don't see the line. I am a bit surprised but pleased with the grade received. Regarding the eye-appeal test I find it very appealing. If you don't then I think you are the blind person and not the grader.

• Options

@jraytay said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@jraytay said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@jraytay said:

The card is now on the Cert page. No need to 'speak in theory' whatever that means. I don't see the line. I am a bit surprised but pleased with the grade received. Regarding the eye-appeal test I find it very appealing. If you don't then I think you are the blind person and not the grader.

It's definitely eye appealing but you put one with a line and one without next to each other and .... you get the point... unless you are blind.

• Options

@jraytay said:
    I don't see the line.

You might want to go see the eye doctor.... :D

• Options

@JolleyWrencher said:

@jraytay said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@jraytay said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@jraytay said:

It's definitely eye appealing but you put one with a line and one without next to each other and .... you get the point... unless you are blind.

Well....it's been fun calling each other blind and I've got the ssp variation in a 10 and you don't. ;)

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@jraytay said:
    I don't see the line.

Why? I have a ssp variation graded 10 of the best baseball player on the planet and you don't :'( .

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@jraytay said:
    I don't see the line.

I know my vision is no longer 20/20 as of 14 months ago but without zooming, without glasses, and my screen brightness at 30%...you can see the line from the bat barrel all the way up to the top.

Still though....CONGRATS...I would be super thrilled if it were in my collection but like you said...it's not. I do have an Ohtani sapphire out of 50 but unfortunately it's likely staying.

I hope you don't think I am hating. I am appreciating and being realistic too. Honestly, I'm thankful people make new topics and keep them updated for something to pass the time.

• Options

@JolleyWrencher said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@jraytay said:
    I don't see the line.

I know my vision is no longer 20/20 as of 14 months ago but without zooming, without glasses, and my screen brightness at 30%...you can see the line from the bat barrel all the way up to the top.

Still though....CONGRATS...I would be super thrilled if it were in my collection but like you said...it's not. I do have an Ohtani sapphire out of 50 but unfortunately it's likely staying.

I hope you don't think I am hating. I am appreciating and being realistic too. Honestly, I'm thankful people make new topics and keep them updated for something to pass the time.

Fair enough. I started this thread as tongue in cheek with the flippant title. Upfront the line is there. All of the comments I found interesting but had no idea it would morph into what it did. Hope the members that guessed 5-6-7 and 8 for the grade are not disappointed at the 10 it got. Anyway....thanks for your comments. Actually...I am overdue for a visit to the eye doctor B) .