Home Sports Talk
Options

Steelers fire Matt Canada as OC.

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take that, you offensive Coordinator!!

Following the trend of the Buffalo Bills, the Pittsburgh Steelers have fired their OC trying to fix a broken and under-performing offense.

Maywood.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

They Literally can't do much worse with anyone else at this point.

Their D is great but the offense is just not cooperating

• Options

I'm sure that the Offensive Coordinator is part of the problem but he really doesn't have much to work with at the QB position. Canada took over in 2021 which was also Roethlisberger's last year and Big Ben's tank was pretty much empty, but the team did OK considering they were in transition with several players. The last two seasons has been Picket/Trubisky so the end result is predictable.

The Steelers running game is good and they have a couple decent receivers to go along with the defense but at QB there's a hole and I can't see Kenny Picket as the solution.

What's peculiar about the Matt Canada firing is that earlier today I was reading a story about how he'd be gone after the season, but that the Steelers were too classy to dump him DURING the season, they just don't operate like that. A short while ago I saw a brief snippet that "Pittsburgh didn't want to lose the locker room" which is also weird. I can't envision Mike Tomlin losing the team like that but there are a lot of young players. The Browns game sort of wrecked them, that's how intense that rivalry is. Najee Harris spoke out of turn in a post-game interview and Diontae Johnson had to be restrained on the sideline during the game, and that's only what was reported.

That just isn't stuff that happens in Pittsburgh or under Tomlin, that is a top-line organization with a lot of pride. Several of my closest friends are died-in-the-wool Steelers fans. They were at the game Sunday as they are every year and they make the annual pilgrimage to Pittsburgh for at least one game every season, like they're heading to Mecca!! They've been butt-hurt ever since Bruce Arians left. They put up with Todd Haley but since he left they have been really rough on management.

I haven't talked to them since Sunday but I'll bet they're happy with this move.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

This shows how valuable "franchise" quarterbacks like Roethlisberger are and why they are paid the big bucks. They are few and far between and make up for many inadequacies or weaknesses a team may have. And once they are gone, if not replaced by another, these previously covered up issues become exposed.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    This shows how valuable "franchise" quarterbacks like Roethlisberger are and why they are paid the big bucks. They are few and far between and make up for many inadequacies or weaknesses a team may have. And once they are gone, if not replaced by another, these previously covered up issues become exposed.

Roethlisberger had a couple years, but he wasnt great. The teams he was on were great but he was a pretty average QB

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Roethlisberger had a couple years, but he wasnt great. The teams he was on were great but he was a pretty average QB

One heck of an "average" quarterback.

• Options

Big Ben had a HOF career

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

QB stats are relative to their eras. He was never the best QB during his career and often wasnt even top 5 or 10. All the all time QB stats for yards other than Marino and Fouts are from 2000 on and that trend will continue

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

QB stats are relative to their eras. He was never the best QB during his career and often wasnt even top 5 or 10. All the all time QB stats for yards other than Marino and Fouts are from 2000 on and that trend will continue

I never said he was the best qb of his era but during his tenure with Pittsburgh he was the heartbeat of those teams. He more often than not came through and got the job done. He was "that guy" for them. I'm not a Steelers fan but I would assume some of their fans look back on his career fondly.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2023 6:02PM

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

You don't need to the "Best" QB in the league at any point of your career to have a HOF Career though.

Never a GOAT QB candidate but HOF without question

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

You don't need to the "Best" QB in the league at any point of your career to have a HOF Career though.

And to add to your point Perk, Big Ben may have never been that top qb of his era but overall he was a model of consistency.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2023 6:18PM

@Basebal21 said: Roethlisberger had a couple years, but he wasnt great.

I don't know what you were watching during his career but Ben Roethlisberger is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

You dont have to be the GOAT to be a HOFer thats very true, but you should have to have more than a couple very good seasons. He was average on very good teams the majority of his career. More of an accumulator playing a long time than a difference maker. To me a HOFer should be in the conversation of the best in the league for multiple years which he never was other than overvaluing SBs for QBs which props Eli up as well

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

You dont have to be the GOAT to be a HOFer thats very true, but you should have to have more than a couple very good seasons. He was average on very good teams the majority of his career. More of an accumulator playing a long time than a difference maker. To me a HOFer should be in the conversation of the best in the league for multiple years which he never was other than overvaluing SBs for QBs which props Eli up as well

Consistentcy,longevity, stats and Super Bowl rings checks all the boxes for me, yes you can take the Super Bowl rings out of the equation and stick with just consistency,Longevity and stats and we got a HOF career in my mind.

• Options

I'm not a Steelers fan whatsoever btw,

Obviously you know I'm a Pats guy but there are other teams I like and the Steelers are not one of them so I'm giving a very unbiased opinion

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yqkcUJRyU8&t=1990s

I'm not a Stephen A Smith fan, but he hit the nail on the head about Matt Canada.

His comments on Canada are at the beginning of the show, right after the plugs.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2023 1:58AM

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Consistentcy,longevity, stats and Super Bowl rings checks all the boxes for me, yes you can take the Super Bowl rings out of the equation and stick with just consistency,Longevity and stats and we got a HOF career in my mind.

Consistency is certainly one of the things to get into the hall of fame. Hes a lot like Herold Baines though that got put into the baseball HOF. I give more weight to guys that are elite that may not have had the longest careers as opposed to stat accumulators that were never really elite. Other than basketball, tennis etc which individuals make a massive difference I would want to see someone being elite at their position for a HOF guy. The modern day stats for QBs the yards wont hold up over the next 10 to 15 years. He was above average but was never really consistently elite compared to his peers

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big Ben was amazing. I am from his hometown of Findlay, Ohio.

That said, they should've fired Tomlin years ago.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

All the things Stephen A. Smith said notwithstanding, the problems of the Pittsburgh Steelers run deeper than than the Offensive Coordinator and they won't be fixed by firing him. There might be some improvement and their remaining schedule is favorable, but they are in the crowded boat of NFL teams searching for a QB.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

kenny pickett sucks and no coach can change that