Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL should suspend Kareem Jackson for remainder of season.

JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just back from a suspension and he does this.
No penalty on the play.
WTF.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

i agree with you Joe. no place in the game for that. He was trying to injure Dobbs on that play.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2023 6:34PM

He wasn't going for the head, he hit him right in the chest and honestly put himself in a position to get hurt by actually lowering his own head and spearing.

If a QB wants to run he is open to get hit and hit hard.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like guys wanting to blow guys up rather than wrap up and tackle but no helmet to helmet hit so I'm ok with the no penalty call

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

ended up with a 4 game suspension.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2023 7:57PM

@perkdog said:
    He wasn't going for the head, he hit him right in the chest and honestly put himself in a position to get hurt by actually lowering his own head and spearing.

If a QB wants to run he is open to get hit and hit hard.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like guys wanting to blow guys up rather than wrap up and tackle but no helmet to helmet hit so I'm ok with the no penalty call

Hit him in the chest? You might want to look again.
    The facemask is certainly part of the helmet. This clown is deliberately using his helmet to try to injure.
    The days of the Oakland Raiders (or more modern day N.O. Saints, same head coach) are supposed to be over.
    This is his second 4 game suspension of the year, with the first one reduced to 2 games.

From the league;
    "With 13:38 remaining in the first quarter, you were involved in a play that the League considers a serious violation of the playing rules. The video of the play shows that you lowered your head and made forcible contact to Vikings quarterback Josh Dobbs. You had an unobstructed path to your opponent and the illegal contact could have been avoided.

"Illegal acts that are flagrant and jeopardize the safety of players will not be tolerated. The League will continue to stress enforcement of the rules that prohibit using your helmet to make forcible contact with your opponent. On the play in question, you lowered your head and delivered a forceful blow to the shoulder and head/neck area of an opponent when you had time and space to avoid such contact. You could have made contact with your opponent within the rules, yet you chose not to."

I hate cheap shot artists!
    There's no place in sports for goons who are out there trying to injure the opponent.
    The NFL has said it would change things since we found out about CTE, but they are missing a lot of infractions and not punishing the offenders nearly enough.
    How on earth does a penalty not get called on that play? How can you miss that?

I will agree that this moron could have also hurt himself. Learn how to tackle with your shoulder, then you can deliver a hard CLEAN hit.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I played football grades 7 thru 12. I never tried to tackle anyone like that.

Frankly, even at the time I was aware that it's possible a football play could paralyze you for life. And I wasn't about to risk that possibility over a dam tackle.

So these players who do this, are not only risking what I mentioned, but also the well known CTE. Just a really bad idea in my opinion. But I guess they feel it's worth the risk, especially at a pro level where they're making millions of dollars.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2023 8:19PM

For me it goes back to seeing the cheap shot, obviously intentional, knee on knee hit that obliterated Bobby Orrs knee. Thinking about it still makes me sick.

You've also got the Ben Davidson punch to Joe Namath's face that broke his jaw. Or the same puke spearing Len Dawson in the back as he lay on the ground.

Sean Payton, current head coach of the Broncos, was the head coach when "bounty gate" went on and his team injured Kurt Warner and then tried to kill Brett Favre. Maybe HE should be banned from the NFL for life. That just might get these guys attention.

Great idea letting some of the best and most popular players get hurt and shortening their careers.

Real smart.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Frankly, even at the time I was aware that it's possible a football play could paralyze you for life. And I wasn't about to risk that possibility over a dam tackle.

So these players who do this, are not only risking what I mentioned, but also the well known CTE. Just a really bad idea in my opinion. But I guess they feel it's worth the risk, especially at a pro level where they're making millions of dollars.

polk high?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

polk high?

Yes, but Bundy got all the glory, especially from that game where he scored four touchdowns.