Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I snagged 2 more Stewart Blay Indian Cents!

ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to win 2 more Indians from the Red Copper Collection. The 1879 in 66+RD and the 1904 in 66+RD. I am ecstatic about the wins. Anyone else want to post their wins?

Comments

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

RED pre 1880 is good.

I'm curious, would you consider waxing the seam on those holders or is that not a good idea?

Have a nice day
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your wins!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63, great looking coin, congrats!

• Options

@renomedphys said:
    Got this tonight:

I think I won it by $55. 🤪

Gorgeous coin and congrats on your win. Would love to see that in hand. I have never seen a proof Fling Eagle much less a CAM version.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @ironmanl63!

Tim

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero That first year Lincoln in the Regency is super, super cool! Big congratulations!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    @pointfivezero That first year Lincoln in the Regency is super, super cool! Big congratulations!!

Thanks! Thought for sure I would be outbid in the final minute but there must have been enough other prizes on the block tonight to let me slip away with it.

Tim

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2023 8:22PM

@pointfivezero said:

@Walkerfan said:

Thanks! Thought for sure I would be outbid in the final minute but there must have been enough other prizes on the block tonight to let me slip away with it.

Tim

Good move and you did well, as that little gem, in it’s rare holder, is a very unique item, in my opinion.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@Walkerfan said:

Tim

That's what happens when you don't do a search correctly, I totally missed that coin
    Congrats on a great coin and holder

• Options

@ironmanl63 said:
    I was able to win 2 more Indians from the Red Copper Collection. The 1879 in 66+RD and the 1904 in 66+RD. I am ecstatic about the wins. Anyone else want to post their wins?

Nice wins ironmanl63, I see you coming up fast on the registry. Hope I can hang on to #3 for awhile :)

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@ironmanl63 said:

Nice wins ironmanl63, I see you coming up fast on the registry. Hope I can hang on to #3 for awhile :)

You will not have to worry about me catching you. After my recent purchases I will be slowing down for a good minute! I stretched because I wanted to grab as many of Stewart's coins as I possibly could. I am still in disbelief that the 1879 fell thru the cracks and I was able to acquire it!

• Options

Great coin, I'm only kidding about the registry, I'm as high as I can go now and I welcome the competition.
    Mike

• Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 128 ✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    Got just one more… the J-228 in PR64. Not super rare (10-20 known) but in the context of J228 being collected as a regular issue, IT IS INDEED RARE.

Congrats on this purchase!! This is a sure proof as well. I have seen proof graded J-228s that are certainly not proofs. I have a nice collection of small cent patterns, about 25 coins or so. Trying to find transitional patterns in both Proof and circulation strikes.

I was eyeing this one, but it went way above where I was hoping (like everything else!)

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:
    True View of the 1879.

Awesome!

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

congratulations to all on the outstanding NEWPS !!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man great wins!!!

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:
    Not an Indian but I was lucky to land this Blay Regency tonight:

Tim

Congrats! Thats a rad one.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

Thanks DD. I just heard back from Ian who confirmed they did not submit to CAC so I'll be shipping it off as soon as I get my hands on it.

Tim

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2023 10:02AM

Right afterwards I found out that I was blown out of the water in bidding the duplicate J-2060 cent pattern I immediately called Legend Numismatics and bought my backup coin I wanted which was the Stew Blay barber dime in PCGS/CAC PR-67 for $3850 as I also like adding dimes to my dime collection.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2023 8:23AM

@pointfivezero said:

Tim

Wow, You have a triple play here. The Regency, the Blay, and red cent in a safe older PCGS holder to assure anyone that the red cent is stable.

Not only that this might be the only PCGS Regency slab Stewart Blay ever owned? Plus it is in the lincoln collection which Stew liked the most. I think it is a definite CAC green sticker candidate and a possible gold sticker candidate too.

Stewart Blay would never sell me any of his coins while he was still accumulating his set so why would I sell any of my coins to him? LOL.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oreville, did you sell your 55DDO years ago? I think you may have owned mine at one time. It's still in a 65red OGH. I did get it stickered though

Doug
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2023 10:52AM

@DMWJR said:
    Oreville, did you sell your 55DDO years ago? I think you may have owned mine at one time. It's still in a 65red OGH. I did get it stickered though

No still have it safe and sound. Stewart was pissed I would not sell it to him.

Being competitive that Stewart was, he not only found another 1955 DDO but he touted that he found not only a nicer 1955DDO red cent but also the best 1958 DDO red cent . I could not compete with him. He was the mist determined collector of all with a grading eye and checkbook to match. You had to admire him.

I bought mine back in 1997 from Jay Parrino who got it from Martin who crossed it from ANACS earlier.
    I submitted it to CAC in their first year of operations. And JA stickered it.

It was the only time CAC did their stickering for FREE!!! This was at the Connecticut Coin show in Stamford CT.

• Options

@oreville said:

@pointfivezero said:

Tim

Wow, You have a triple play here. The Regency, the Blay, and red cent in a safe older PCGS holder to assure anyone that the red cent is stable.

Not only that this might be the only PCGS Regency slab Stewart Blay ever owned? Plus it is in the lincoln collection which Stew liked the most. I think it is a definite CAC green sticker candidate and a possible gold sticker candidate too.

Stewart Blay would never sell me any of his coins while he was still accumulating his set so why would I sell any of my coins to him? LOL.

Thanks @oreville. According to Ian, Stewart owned two Regency holders but they were not part of his core collection. They were tucked away in a separate safe deposit box.

Obviously, I’m over the moon to be the next guardian of this beauty, regardless of whether it CAC’s or not.

Tim

• Options
    edited November 20, 2023 10:53AM

@pointfivezero said:

@oreville said:

@pointfivezero said:

Tim

Thanks @oreville. According to Ian, Stewart owned two Regency holders but they were not part of his core collection. They were tucked away in a separate safe deposit box.

Obviously, I’m over the moon to be the next guardian of this beauty, regardless of whether it CAC’s or not.

Tim

Keep in mind that lincoln cents is Stewart first love and central core set. Then NDN came second. Then barber dimes third. I respect Stewart’s lincoln set the most and you have the biggest slab from his set. I agree that it is a moose whether it stickers or not.

I still love walkers in cheap MS-63 grades. Going to CAC tomorrow to submit an inexpensive 1938 walker in OGH PCGS MS-63. I hope I did not screw up in Baltimore looking at the coins then buying them with very bad lighting. I sometimes miss the PVC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file