Home U.S. Coin Forum

Got my answer

TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 1, 2024 2:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

thanks

Comments

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you guys leave as is or what would you do to remove whatever it is?

@Mr_Spud said:
    Maybe just try soaking for a bit in acetone and if that doesn’t remove it then just leave it alone.

How about acetone on q-tips would that work? Or is that not good?

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@Mr_Spud said:
    Maybe just try soaking for a bit in acetone and if that doesn’t remove it then just leave it alone.

That’s fine. The idea would be to see if it is some foreign contaminant on the surface like tar, which would probably come off with acetone or if it is the metal itself which discolored in which case the acetone wouldn’t remove it.

Mr_Spud

@Mr_Spud said:

@Mr_Spud said:

That’s fine. The idea would be to see if it is some foreign contaminant on the surface like tar, which would probably come off with acetone or if it is the metal itself which discolored in which case the acetone wouldn’t remove it.

I will do both and see what happens. In what order should I do it? Acetone bath first or q-tips?

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bath first.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's standard issue old coin goo from grandpa's coin jar.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else see what looks like solder at just before 3:00 and just before 9:00?

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was mount removed at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock from ex-jewelry?

I have seen that color before on pits caused by pvc after acetone removal. Is that color on the durface or does it corrode into the coin? Soaking for a very long time in acetone will not hurt silver and a wood handled cotton swab rolled over the surface might get some stuff off.

@JBK said:
    Does anyone else see what looks like solder at just before 3:00 and just before 9:00?

Yes I saw that it will not grade numerically but will have to do till I find better.

@davewesen said:

I have seen that color before on pits caused by pvc after acetone removal. Is that color on the durface or does it corrode into the coin? Soaking for a very long time in acetone will not hurt silver and a wood handled cotton swab rolled over the surface might get some stuff off.

So you think the coin had PVC on it at some point?

@davewesen said:

I do not know without looking closely at coin. That color also could be staining or toning.

@davewesen said:

@davewesen said:

I do not know without looking closely at coin. That color also could be staining or toning.

If PVC would it not all come off with the acetone bath? I thought PVC was green looking?

edited September 1, 2024 2:04PM

edited November 18, 2023 2:17PM

Anyone else here think this could be due to PVC due to improper cleaning?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

@davewesen said:

If PVC would it not all come off with the acetone bath? I thought PVC was green looking?

PVC is colorless. The green color is not the PVC itself but the decomposition products

edited November 18, 2023 3:56PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@davewesen said:

@davewesen said:

PVC is colorless. The green color is not the PVC itself but the decomposition products

Thanks

edited September 1, 2024 2:04PM

do you have any wood handled cotton swabs? moisten in acetone and roll over coin dark spots

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    do you have any wood handled cotton swabs? moisten in acetone and roll over coin dark spots

He just said he let it soak in acetone for 24 hours.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    "What kind of ''goo'' is this?"

Lick it to see what it tastes like. :p

Chicken 🤢

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like corrosion to me.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW bigjpst

If you are sending it in for grading, you may want to include using their conservation service although I'm not sure if this coin is valuable enough to worth the expense.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• MizzouMizzou Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭

Two things I would try -

WD-40 and a Q-Tip on the gunk -

Use a soldering iron and try to remove some of that old solder. It's not enough heat to damage the coin but you might get lucky with the solder-

It won't grade in the state that it's in so you have nothing to lose -

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

@Mizzou said:
    Two things I would try -

WD-40 and a Q-Tip on the gunk -

Use a soldering iron and try to remove some of that old solder. It's not enough heat to damage the coin but you might get lucky with the solder-

It won't grade in the state that it's in so you have nothing to lose -

Perhaps a small butane torch would work better than a soldering iron. Also, the melted solder would need to be wicked off the coin. Agree that the OP has nothing to lose with the coin being in its current condition.

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2023 7:39AM

If you have a small crucible, a few minutes with a mapp gas torch ought to separate the solder and silver.
    The solder should wind up floating on top kind of like scum and can be skimmed off with a piece of small wire.
    The other gunk will evaporate.

Edited to add, the molten silver needs to be poured quickly and carefully into some sort of round mold. You can then roll out a new planchet, etc.

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried licking it?

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    Chicken 🤢

I don't know where you buy your chicken but you should find a new store. ;):D

edited September 1, 2024 2:05PM

edited December 7, 2023 3:16PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@johnny9434 said:
    Chicken 🤢

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@johnny9434 said:
    Chicken 🤢

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@johnny9434 said:
    Chicken 🤢

Why I don't do chicken 😒
    Bad timing for the word as well

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    Why I don't do chicken 😒

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@johnny9434 said:
    Why I don't do chicken 😒

Really, LOL

It is a tougher date in the series I collect that is why I purchased it it will have to do for now. If I send it to NGC what should I write to make sure it ends up in a holder vs them not holdering it? I still want it in a NGC holder no matter the grade.

??

• flyguyflflyguyfl Posts: 127 ✭✭

Let us know how this is resolved (if so). Could be a good learning experience.

A local jeweler who does jewelry repair may be able to remove what appears to be solder from a prior mounting. It never hurts to ask.

edited December 7, 2023 5:13PM

Will NGC holder it if I ask for that option or do they sometimes simply refuse to holder some coins? Will be sending in 10-12 coins in a single package sometime in 2024.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has to work............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying problem coins and trying to undo the problem or worry about getting them into plastic must be frustrating..
    The beauty of problem coins is that they don't need to be in tpg holders, IMHO.
    The wisdom of the ancients around here... simply get rid of the offending coin and buy one you like.
    But you probably didn't need to hear that again.

edited December 7, 2023 10:42PM

Will NGC holder it if I ask for that option or do they sometimes simply refuse to holder some coins? Will be sending in 10-12 coins in a single package sometime in 2024.

Anyone??? Never sent coins in before to have them graded. I am hoping there is an option to make sure they are all slabbed no matter the grades. Do not want any coin coming back not inside a NGC holder. Must be an option on the grading form?

Anyone??? Never sent coins in before to have them graded. I am hoping there is an option to make sure they are all slabbed no matter the grades. Do not want any coin coming back not inside a NGC holder. Must be an option on the grading form?

I doubt they would slab it with that solder on it. Once it's removed, they should slab it with a details grade and a "CLEANED-DAMAGED" notation on the label. I suggest that you call NGC and ask them if their restoration service can remove solder from a rare coin. I'm guessing they'll say no in which case check with some local jewelers who do jewelry repair to see if they can remove the solder. Of course, I'm assuming that black stuff on your coin is solder. Hove you tried something stronger than acetone such as e-Z-est coin dip?

The solder on the OP's coin is more extensive and in a prime focal area of the coin. It's a gamble whether it will be slabbed or not.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2023 7:19AM

I guess I'm not understanding the reluctance to address the solder. It looks "fresh" as if it was melted relatively recently to remove the mount.

I've never tried to remove solder from a coin but I'm thinking there might be something that can be done, atleast to greatly minimize it to get it into a details holder.

@JBK said:
    I guess I'm not understanding the reluctance to address the solder. It looks "fresh" as if it was melted relatively recently to remove the mount.

I've never tried to remove solder from a coin but I'm thinking there might be something that can be done, atlesst to greatly minimize it to atleast get it into a details holder.

Solder has a low melting point compared to silver and it can be easily melted with a small butane torch and wicked off the surface. Any jeweler that does jewelry repair can probably do this for a few dollars and this coin would look much better.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

The rolled paper handies are just as safe in acetone. I use Q-Tip brand. Avoid the cheap ones with plastic handles.
    Put it back in the acetone overnight, then take it out and immediately poke at the gunk with the end of a Q-Tip moistened in the acetone. Repeat the poking as necessary. You are not going to hurt this coin.
    If that doesn’t work, rinse, let dry and try some Goo-Gone.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

I have heard soft pressure with a toothpick (or rosebush thorn) can also loosen some gunk but have not tried

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file