Homeβ€Ί Sports Talk
Options

Will Joe DiMaggio's 56 ever be broken?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one record that is tough as nails to break, Pete Rose came closest, do you think it will stand forever?

Comments

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭

Will someone ever have a hit streak that long again, at some point most likely. DiMaggios version of the record can never be broken though. Hitters now have shorter base paths, the shift if banned, pitchers have pitch clocks etc. Those hitter friendly changes will continue to happen making it easier and easier to get hits and stolen bases.

MLB is already preparing to shorten the pitch clock even more next year and force pitchers to always throw from the stretch if theres a runner on base.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never in my opinion.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

In 2026 Buck Bokai of the London Kings is scheduled to!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even more amazing is DiMaggio after his 56 game hitting streak was broken, then got a hit in 16 more consecutive games.

That's 72 out of 73 games for the mathematically challenged on here. πŸ˜‰

• Options

@stevek said:
    Even more amazing is DiMaggio after his 56 game hitting streak was broken, then got a hit in 16 more consecutive games.

Yes, but do you think his record will stand until the sun turns into a Red giant, that is the question. πŸ€”

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Didn't he have an even longer streak when he was in the minors?

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Yes, but do you think his record will stand until the sun turns into a Red giant, that is the question. πŸ€”

I'd say with the advent of starting pitchers with their set pitch counts, and managers always bringing in fresh arm relievers, it's going to be very difficult.

And please stop frightening me about the sun. I've been looking up at it, and see absolutely no indication of the sun turning into a red giant.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@stevek said:

Didn't he have an even longer streak when he was in the minors?

I'm pretty sure you're right.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

I'd say with the advent of starting pitchers with their set pitch counts, and managers always bringing in fresh arm relievers, it's going to be very difficult.

And please stop frightening me about the sun. I've been looking up at it, and see absolutely no indication of the sun turning into a red giant.

I apologize Steve, I've been watching space documentaries again. A word of advice, if you're going to look directly at the sun, use a pair of shades.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

I apologize Steve, I've been watching space documentaries again. A word of advice, if you're going to look directly at the sun, use a pair of shades.

I enjoy those space documentaries as well. Yea, I know all about the eventual fate of the earth and sun, which isn't debatable. And the fate of the universe which can be debatable. It's estimated around 35 trillion years from now, give or take whatever, the last atom will fizzle out, and then my cards and coins will be worthless. 😒

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

I enjoy those space documentaries as well. Yea, I know all about the eventual fate of the earth and sun, which isn't debatable. And the fate of the universe which can be debatable. It's estimated around 35 trillion years from now, give or take whatever, the last atom will fizzle out, and then my cards and coins will be worthless. 😒

Honestly, I think humans won't be here when the sun turns into a Red giant, we'll be extinct long before then. That would be roughly 5 billion years from now, we'll find a way to do ourselves in long before that, or an asteroid strike could happen and wipe us out. Space is a very hazardous place, gamma ray bursts, black holes constantly on the move, asteroids breaking loose from the belt, a very dangerous place. Also have to wonder about that ticking time bomb underneath Yellowstone, if that sucker decides to blow, we got a major situation on our hands.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Honestly, I think humans won't be here when the sun turns into a Red giant, we'll be extinct long before then. That would be roughly 5 billion years from now, we'll find a way to do ourselves in long before that, or an asteroid strike could happen and wipe us out. Space is a very hazardous place, gamma ray bursts, black holes constantly on the move, asteroids breaking loose from the belt, a very dangerous place. Also have to wonder about that ticking time bomb underneath Yellowstone, if that sucker decides to blow, we got a major situation on our hands.

Sad to say but I agree with everything you stated. Most humans have become far too civilized to survive any of the catastrophic events you mentioned.

Possibly, just possibly, the "uncontacted" tribes deep in the Amazon rainforest, remote islands, or elsewhere, who basically still live like people from the Stone Age, might survive it, and from there humans may repopulate the world over time.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2023 12:12AM

Surprised that Ted Williams didn't have a long hitting streak in his amazing career.

I also think that Paul Molitor's cards are undervalued. He was a great player.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Surprised that Ted Williams didn't have a long hitting streak in his amazing career.

During Dimaggio's hitting streak, Williams hit for a higher average than Joe did.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, the 56 will never been broken. In 1941, nearly half of all starts were completed. Pitchers gave up over a hit per inning, allowing nearly 1.5 runners per inning. In 2023, less than 1% of starts were completed, pitchers gave 10% fewer hits, and batters hit 20 points lower.

It just all adds up to an environment where a record like that will stand forever.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pete Rose holds the national league hitting streak record. A record that has stood for decades, yet there are Rose haters on this site who claim Rose was not one of the best :D

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Sad to say but I agree with everything you stated. Most humans have become far too civilized to survive any of the catastrophic events you mentioned.

Possibly, just possibly, the "uncontacted" tribes deep in the Amazon rainforest, remote islands, or elsewhere, who basically still live like people from the Stone Age, might survive it, and from there humans may repopulate the world over time.

No doubt, heck, my wife couldn't survive without Folgers coffee, much less an apocalyptic event. ;)

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Minor League record is 69, set by Joe Wilhoit in 1919. Joe DiMaggio, whose big league record hit streak of 56 games is being celebrated for its 75th anniversary this season, had a 61-game Minor League hit streak in 1933, second-longest of all-time.Aug 14, 2016

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Different eras are impossible to compare stats. Pitchers, hitters QB’s, RB’s etc.
    Cy Young’s records will never be approached both Wins and Loses.
    Babe Ruth hit more home runs in one season than most teams hit combined.
    Just impossible to think the records of the past relate to today’s game

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I suppose anything is possible, I would be very surprised if it gets broken in my lifetime.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.