Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is the Barber coin series just using a super generic rendition of Lady Liberty?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭

I recently came across a sterling butter knife from circa 1864 and the image looked relatively close to the Barber coinage. Is it possible that Barber just used an existing image and lightly altered it for his coinage designs?

Comments

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the history but I would say it's a lot closer then relatively! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing! I had never seen this series before until this one passed in front of me. They are works of art. Do you have any others from this type?

@asheland said:
    Very cool, that’s Medallion by Gorham 1864, I have an example or two laying around…

There were a bunch of makers in the 1860s and 70s that use different types of medallion, it’s a great area to collect…

A few of mine:

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was modeled after French coins which had the head of Ceres.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• maymay Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a pretty cool piece you got there. :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread!
    The Barber portrait never really made sense to me... very manly and sort of seemed to come out of left field design wise.
    All these earlier incarnations tie it together a bit.
    Interesting that we had the Barber and the Walking library halves both modeled after French coins...🤔

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    Cool thread!
    The Barber portrait never really made sense to me... very manly and sort of seemed to come out of left field design wise.
    All these earlier incarnations tie it together a bit.
    Interesting that we had the Barber and the Walking library halves both modeled after French coins...🤔

They were both using classical motifs.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t forget the Morgan Dollar as a predecessor of the Barber design.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Barber design along with the Morgan dollar are classic Grecian profiles which use "proportions by fixed rules; that they [Greek sculptors] have established a positive measure for the dimensions" including nose length and shape relative to head, lip shape, eyes, expression etc. Quote from History of the Art of Antiquity 1764 Winckelmann, which was the most important influence on neoclassical art.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Argue amongst yourselves from whence she came, I'll simply enjoy her while she stays.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgs69 said:
    Thank you for sharing! I had never seen this series before until this one passed in front of me. They are works of art. Do you have any others from this type?

@asheland said:
    Very cool, that’s Medallion by Gorham 1864, I have an example or two laying around…

There were a bunch of makers in the 1860s and 70s that use different types of medallion, it’s a great area to collect…

A few of mine:

I have a few others, not too many, but I don’t have pictures of them. Unfortunately, they’re stashed away somewhere, but I do know I have a couple more.

If you Google “Gorham medallion 1864” under images, you will see it’s a multi motif design different pictures but the same theme.

I can tell from the picture you have a twisted butter spreader. Those are very cool!

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Statue of Liberty has the same classical proportions as well.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this type of thing interests you, I highly recommend you get a copy of this book:

There are copies on eBay from 40 to 80 bucks average.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file